Expansionist and goody huts

jabancho

Chieftain
I have played Conquest several times with the Russians, and I have noticed that all the goody huts I take give all the previous benefits except new cities or settlers... has this option being changed or eliminated?

Hmm, what difficulty level were you on?

As far as I know, it is still in. I was playing on Deity as the Incas, and I got three free settlers and a city from huts!!! Just lucky I guess

I started 4 games and in 2 of them I got free settlers. So apparently I was very luck and it hasn't been removed.

I think you only get settlers if you are not currently building one, don't currently have one, and have less cities than other civs (or maybe just not the most...not sure -- go ask kring, I'm sure he has a copy of the post from the Firaxis folks who explained the algorithm for this)

Originally posted by robcheng
I think you only get settlers if you are not currently building one, don't currently have one, and have less cities than other civs (or maybe just not the most...not sure -- go ask kring, I'm sure he has a copy of the post from the Firaxis folks who explained the algorithm for this)

As a matter of fact, I do. :D

Here you go:

----

One thing not mentioned in the links is the fact that Expansionist civs (in both Civ3 and PtW, but a much higher probability in PtW) can pop a town (size 4 is the largest I have read about) from a Goody Hut instead of a Settler. The Town from Hut can happen even if you have a Settler in production or on the map.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=359144#post359144

This was verified by Mike B of Firaxis in post 53:

Mike B's Post on Goody Hut

Quote:
It's not really that it's difficult; it's just that it was implemented by an intern . Here are the conditions:

Gold:
*The tile must not have any type of resource or luxury on it.

Maps:
--always available

Nothing:
--always available

Settler:
*Player must not have a settler (active or in production) or any unit with the Settle AI strategy.
*Number of player's cities must be <= (TotalCities / NumActivePlayers).

Mercenaries (skilled warrior):
*There must be a unit available to the Barbarians as well as the player and that unit must be able to be built (or have been built) by some player in the game.

Tech:
*Player must still be in Ancient Times.

Barbarians:
*Player must not have Expansionist trait.
*There must not be a city within a 1-tile radius.
*The player must have at least 1 city.
*The player must have at least 1 military unit.
*The unit popping the hut must not have the ''All Terrain As Roads'' ability.

Later, in that same thread, Post 65:

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sumthinelse
Does TotalCities include cities the player cannot see?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TotalCities is the total number of cities currently on the map, whether you can see them or not.

quote:
Does NumActivePlayers mean total civs or only the ones the player has met?

NumActivePlayers is the total number of civs that have not been eliminated, whether you have met them or not.

quote:
OK, suppose I have an expansionist civ and the difficulty level is deity. I think that if I am still in the ancient tech era the probability of getting a tech from a hut is about 25%. But if I advance to the middle ages and cannot get techs, will I get 25% more ''deserted village'' results or will the 25% get divided among the remaining possibilities (deserted, gold, settler, warrior, map) with 5% to each or some other division?

The chances for each possibility do not change. However, if something is selected that does not meet its requirements, a new selection will be made until something that meets its requirements is selected. For example, if you are in the Middle Ages, the chances for a tech to be in a goody hut are exactly the same as they were in the Ancient Times. If a tech is selected, however, a new selection will be made. That's why the probabilities aren't as easy to determine.

Later, in Post 72:

Quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sumthinelse

What if totalcities=12, numactiveplayers=8, and I have only one city. Do you round the ratio up to 2 or drop the fraction to rusult in a ratio of 1?

The fraction is dropped so the ratio would be 1. This would make settlers a viable option for this example. (The player has to have less than or equal to the ratio -- I failed to mention the equal part in my original post).

----

I have popped a few Settlers in Conquests, but not too many Towns.

Top Bottom