Expensive Espionage

Rodrig0

Monarch
Hi everyone! It's good to be back here, it's been awhile.

I'm having a problem with an espionage mission. There's a city with only one citizen, no improvementes, no culture... and still, doing propaganda there costs over 900g! They're fascist, I'm communist, I have the Intelligence Agency, and have a spy planted on that civ. So everything sould be fine, I remember doing propaganada on small cities, size 1 or 2, for less than 300. So this one seems too expensive.
Here is the saved game. The city is Oka, of the Iroquis, next to Persia. If anyone wants to take a look, and finds out it is OK, then maybe I sould forget about propaganda and start doing some real war. And any advice would be nice too. I haven't played for some time, and I think I lost the touch :blush:

Hi everyone! It's good to be back here, it's been awhile.

I'm having a problem with an espionage mission. There's a city with only one citizen, no improvementes, no culture... and still, doing propaganda there costs over 900g! They're fascist, I'm communist, I have the Intelligence Agency, and have a spy planted on that civ. So everything sould be fine, I remember doing propaganada on small cities, size 1 or 2, for less than 300. So this one seems too expensive.
Here is the saved game. The city is Oka, of the Iroquis, next to Persia. If anyone wants to take a look, and finds out it is OK, then maybe I sould forget about propaganda and start doing some real war. And any advice would be nice too. I haven't played for some time, and I think I lost the touch :blush:

Are you posting in the correct forum? This sounds more like Civ IV.

Civilization Revolution (at least on the DS) has no intelligence agency, nor propaganda.

- John

I hate to point it out, but Facist/Communist goverments, the intelligence agency and propaganda don't exist in Civ 4 either. The save game is also not in the right format to be Civ 4.

My money's on Civ 3 - maybe third time lucky on getting the right forum. ;)

I never issue propaganda myself. There are better fish to fry.

the whole spy/diplomat thing in civ 2 made things alot easier. stealing a city away was easier and far far more cheaper. i used to hate this but i think making it harder to bribe cities was really needed

It is the distance:

Prices:
Parameters:
dist - distance from actual city or capital to your nearest city
pop - size of actual city or capital
level - level of settlement, 1 for town, 2 for city and 3 for metropol
opp_cult - opponents culture
your_cult - your culture
techs - number of opponents techs
units - total number of opponents units
shield - number of shields the opponent have invested

Factors found in editor:
base - base cost
mapsize - average of width and height
techrate - factor based on world size

Code:
Mission Base Cost formula
Build an Embassy 20 dist*level + base + pop
Investigate City 10 dist*level + base * pop
Steal Technology 10 dist*level + base * techs*techrate/100
Steal World Map 1 dist*level + base * mapsize
Plant Spy 60 dist*level + base
Steal Plans 10 dist*level + base * unit
Initiate Propaganda 100 dist*level + base * pop * (1 + opp_cult/your_cult)
Sabotage Production 10 dist*level + base * shield
Expose Enemy Spy 80 dist*level + base
For the misson where there is a choice of risk, multiply by 3/2 for carefully and 2 for safely.

Thanx for your replys!
Could anyone tell me where did I post first? I swear I thought I was in civ3 general disc. forums... at least, that's where my bookmark pointed. But again, maybe it is that strange things have been happening to my comp... like this espionage issue. Or maybe I was just sleepy :lol: Hey, look at the time I posted!
The game is Civ3 Conquest, ver. 1.21.
I'll try the formula vmxa suggested, to see if I was correct. But there was another city very close, and making it flip only costed 200g, and it was mine in 3 tries. Now poor Xerxes doesn't have coal :D Also I made another city flip, more to the north and it had silks. But the ones I wanted, with spices and incense, never flipped. One of those has a courthouse, so I actually didn't try much. And the other... well, that's the one I mentioned. I'm not making enough money to spend +2000g every turn on espionage.
I don't know why I haven't attacked openly. Xerxes has been bothering me since the beginning of the game. He now has the largest territory, and tons of infantries. Maybe that's why. Capturing his cities won't be that fast, and in the mean time, my people won't have all the luxes, because I'm buying 3 from him that noone else has. Maybe Hiawatta has incense, but he has an embargo against me. I'll wait to have flipped all the cities with luxuries that I want, and then I'll considering going to war with him. Maybe it is only that I want to keep all my people happy. War weariness won't be a problem now that we're communists, but we'll wait to have secured all luxes.
Now, if you see the saved game, and look at the military Xerjes has... those 3 isolated cities look too juicy. They won't last long if he decides to attack me.
But espionage might not have been *that* bad idea, especially if you look at Gordium. It is a beach head, right next to their capital. And who doesn't love the "the loyal :)lol:) citizens of <xxxx> have deposed their governor and pledged allegiance to us!"

Top Bottom