1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expensive Espionage

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Rodrig0, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

Hi everyone! It's good to be back here, it's been awhile.

I'm having a problem with an espionage mission. There's a city with only one citizen, no improvementes, no culture... and still, doing propaganda there costs over 900g! They're fascist, I'm communist, I have the Intelligence Agency, and have a spy planted on that civ. So everything sould be fine, I remember doing propaganada on small cities, size 1 or 2, for less than 300. So this one seems too expensive.
    Here is the saved game. The city is Oka, of the Iroquis, next to Persia. If anyone wants to take a look, and finds out it is OK, then maybe I sould forget about propaganda and start doing some real war. And any advice would be nice too. I haven't played for some time, and I think I lost the touch :blush:

2. JohnSearle

JohnSearle Chieftain

Are you posting in the correct forum? This sounds more like Civ IV.

Civilization Revolution (at least on the DS) has no intelligence agency, nor propaganda.

- John

3. tonycz

tonycz Chieftain

He is most definitely posting this in the wrong forum.

4. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Moderator Action: Thread moved. ;)

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

I hate to point it out, but Facist/Communist goverments, the intelligence agency and propaganda don't exist in Civ 4 either. The save game is also not in the right format to be Civ 4.

My money's on Civ 3 - maybe third time lucky on getting the right forum. ;)

6. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

(If I'd been smart, I would have looked at the attached file to see what version it was from. :crazyeye: ;) )
    Moderator Action: Thread moved ... one more time.

7. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

I've found propaganda to be far too expensive to bother with. Apart from planting a spy that is.

8. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I never issue propaganda myself. There are better fish to fry.

9. dirtworm

dirtworm Warlord

the whole spy/diplomat thing in civ 2 made things alot easier. stealing a city away was easier and far far more cheaper. i used to hate this but i think making it harder to bribe cities was really needed

10. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

Having not looked at the civ, the city may be very far away, making it more costly.

11. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

It is the distance:

Prices:
    Parameters:
    dist - distance from actual city or capital to your nearest city
    pop - size of actual city or capital
    level - level of settlement, 1 for town, 2 for city and 3 for metropol
    opp_cult - opponents culture
    your_cult - your culture
    techs - number of opponents techs
    units - total number of opponents units
    shield - number of shields the opponent have invested

Factors found in editor:
    base - base cost
    mapsize - average of width and height
    techrate - factor based on world size

Code:
    Mission Base Cost formula
    Build an Embassy 20 dist*level + base + pop
    Investigate City 10 dist*level + base * pop
    Steal Technology 10 dist*level + base * techs*techrate/100
    Steal World Map 1 dist*level + base * mapsize
    Plant Spy 60 dist*level + base
    Steal Plans 10 dist*level + base * unit
    Initiate Propaganda 100 dist*level + base * pop * (1 + opp_cult/your_cult)
    Sabotage Production 10 dist*level + base * shield
    Expose Enemy Spy 80 dist*level + base
    For the misson where there is a choice of risk, multiply by 3/2 for carefully and 2 for safely.

12. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

Thanx for your replys!
    Could anyone tell me where did I post first? I swear I thought I was in civ3 general disc. forums... at least, that's where my bookmark pointed. But again, maybe it is that strange things have been happening to my comp... like this espionage issue. Or maybe I was just sleepy :lol: Hey, look at the time I posted!
    The game is Civ3 Conquest, ver. 1.21.
    I'll try the formula vmxa suggested, to see if I was correct. But there was another city very close, and making it flip only costed 200g, and it was mine in 3 tries. Now poor Xerxes doesn't have coal :D Also I made another city flip, more to the north and it had silks. But the ones I wanted, with spices and incense, never flipped. One of those has a courthouse, so I actually didn't try much. And the other... well, that's the one I mentioned. I'm not making enough money to spend +2000g every turn on espionage.
    I don't know why I haven't attacked openly. Xerxes has been bothering me since the beginning of the game. He now has the largest territory, and tons of infantries. Maybe that's why. Capturing his cities won't be that fast, and in the mean time, my people won't have all the luxes, because I'm buying 3 from him that noone else has. Maybe Hiawatta has incense, but he has an embargo against me. I'll wait to have flipped all the cities with luxuries that I want, and then I'll considering going to war with him. Maybe it is only that I want to keep all my people happy. War weariness won't be a problem now that we're communists, but we'll wait to have secured all luxes.
    Now, if you see the saved game, and look at the military Xerjes has... those 3 isolated cities look too juicy. They won't last long if he decides to attack me.
    But espionage might not have been *that* bad idea, especially if you look at Gordium. It is a beach head, right next to their capital. And who doesn't love the "the loyal :)lol:) citizens of <xxxx> have deposed their governor and pledged allegiance to us!"