Exploration and expansion

Vote once for each letter!

• A. Leave direction of exploration up to King (R)

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • B. Found SE Island city? (R)

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • C. Keep Warrior for defense of SE Island (city).

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • C. Drop warrior on next island, return for 1 military, 1 settler (R)

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • C. Drop warrior on next island, return for 2 settlers

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • C. Drop warrior on next island, return for 2 military

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Drop warrior on next island, use trieme for exploration of coast.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • D. On meeting other civs, Trade for techs

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • D. On meeting other civs, Trade for map

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • E. On meeting other civs, ignore any feeble threats (R)

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rout

ZZzzzzzz
The movement options for the current trieme are dictated mostly by what terrain is uncovered during each turn so I propose that the finer points of exploration are left up to the able discretion of our new King.
As dell has pointed out in the next turn thread, there is a city site
which will cover the 2 new resources on SE Island:scan:. Do the people want to colonise now? it would make sense to place the city now as there is a settler on the island at present. It would also make sense to send the warrior further on with the trieme as the city would be isolated from attack.

I don't really get your C options.
Warrior and settler are on the island, the trireme has already returned to pick up a settler and a warrior: it's full! So it needn't return to pick up units, it's ready to explore and settle new lands. :)

Anyway it would have made more sense to leave the warrior as you never know when you may be visited by barbarians. So tif the trireme is full I would like to see it explore the next SE island and then go east in search of a new continent. However it may be more useful to send it north to scout the Vikings but it does have the risk of encountering one of their ships and losing...

A Phalanx isn't that expensive to rush build. But the poll
doesn't say anything about the NONE settler we picked up.
Isn't it on the trireme right now?

The NONE settler was taken back to Bedfont Lakes

I voted for A, B, and E. I voted for both the first and fifth C option, since we have two warriors. The idea is to leave the Island, sail S, drop the Warrior on the new (second) island, and keep the Settler. There is a plan afoot to land the Settler on the first Island.
I wanted to vote for both D, but settled for Techs. Techs for Mike's, Leonardo's and Republic would be helpful.
I really like the (R) - another abbrev!

The DofM has posted caution in Turn 120AD, and I think this is an appropriate thread to discuss his exploration ideas further.

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
Quick Questions.....

Why are we putting the city on the new island where we are?
Isn't there a bit of land just off of the island? Putting a city right in the middle of the island, while getting two specials, makes it where the bottom piece of land might be not too usable for a regular city becasue of the overlap and the fact that is right at the bottom of the map. It would need to be a filler city on a separate island (or no city at all).... doesn't help too much building units way out that have to be transported back to be any good...?

I think (at present) the city should be placed in the aforementioned site on the SE island.
It will be a great city, two specials from the off, any site on the next island/continent will not reach two specials due to the layout of the resources. Hence, sharing of the two resources will result in two inferior 'filler' cities and no good city, whereas establishing the proposed site will result in one good city and possibly a filler.
If the south pole dictates that the next island is little, and unusable because of the new city, then we have not lost anything but a weak city location. If the next island is bigger (ie extends eastward) we would colonize further along
I say AT PRESENT because based on the comments by DofM the next island should be investigated, and the decision should be made after the next turn.

Also, proposals have been made that the forest should be cleared before settling the city. Personally I dont feel strongly either way on this but the specials avaliable are resource rich (not food rich) which gives weight to this idea.
Also, it seems we have only one trieme. I would like one of our coastal cities to build another, as we have other areas to investigate, and using one trieme for the current location may even become slow.

As it looks right now we could easliy have two cities, with each one having a special in it. I don't see why those wouldn't be considered 'good' cities. They should have their full radi to use for production, granted most of it will be water, but as island cities go, there's not much more you can ask for. :)

The only problem would be if the bottom island has too much Arctic on it to make it usable...

I mostly agree with DoM; this island can support two cities, both of which could be decent if not killer cities. with harbors and lots of forest, they could actually be quite good cities, IMHO. I would irrigate to plains whatever city site(s) we choose, however.

Top Bottom