eXplore

ltccone

Prince
Does anyone else think it is bizarre that you can't see the entire map from the beginning of the game?

We have that technology NOW, reflected by the satellite tech in Civ 5.

You can launch a weather satellite, can launch a satellite to communicate with Earth, etc., but can't launch one to see the entire map?

Wasn't there a recon before the colony ships landed?

I think this is a case of gameplay trumps realism. Yes, from a realism perspective, you are right, the player should be able to see the whole map at the start but from a gameplay perspective, it is better to let the player uncover the map with units the old fashioned way.

Seeing the whole map from the start would take away all the need for exploration. It would essentially be a 3X game because there would be no exploration at all. You have to keep a fog of war so that the player still gets to enjoy the exploration part of the early game.

The devs did add the spaceship choices like seeing a larger landing zone or seeing the continent outlines in order to implement a little bit of what you are talking about without destroying the exploration part.

Don't stagger enemy faction drops and you will get a fair estimate of the planet size on turn 1.

But yeah, I always figured it was incredibly stupid to land on a planet and not have any bearings as to where you landed.... it's not like it's 10K BC on Earth and your tribe just made it's 1st village. :)

I wonder if this is more of an engine limitation carry over from civ 5? It was designed to scale up as you explore more, in beyond earth there are 2 ways to do this on turn 1. Reveal the costal outline hexes with telemetry, or reveal all colony hexes on turn 1.

Dropping all colonies on turn 1 does weaken the power of seeing all coast lines a little.

The way I see it, though this is mostly head-canon:

The only initial exploration pre-seeding are some small probes that only check basic stuff (soil samples, atmosphere, etc.).

Bringing satellites into orbit takes lots of money/resources on earth, nevermind a planet in a different solar system.

Also, you can always pick the Continental Surveyor seeding option.

I think this is a case of gameplay trumps realism. Yes, from a realism perspective, you are right, the player should be able to see the whole map at the start but from a gameplay perspective, it is better to let the player uncover the map with units the old fashioned way.

Seeing the whole map from the start would take away all the need for exploration. It would essentially be a 3X game because there would be no exploration at all. You have to keep a fog of war so that the player still gets to enjoy the exploration part of the early game.

The devs did add the spaceship choices like seeing a larger landing zone or seeing the continent outlines in order to implement a little bit of what you are talking about without destroying the exploration part.

I believe you are right, but it seems silly to land on a planet you haven't thoroughly mapped.

Well, it's also silly that satellites that orbit a planet would have a constant effect on a very specific region of the world, that the icy colds of the north- and southpoles are still barriers that can't be crossed and that ... well ... a person mounting an alien is somehow as efficient as a hovering Tank. A lot of things one shouldn't think about - as in most cases, the devs aren't trying for maximum realism, but for a "board game" kind of realism that is based on an easy to understand set of rules that only really makes sense within that game.

I agree for gameplay issues that map shouldn't be revealed on turn 0, but on the other hand I wish there was a technology/wonder to reveal the whole map at some point.

On a side aspect, it's annoying that capitals are revealed automatically, it weaken a lot early exploration imo.

How many 4x games actually reveal the entire map at the start? This is just a standard game mechanism. It's absurd beyond words to point out that it's not realistic. Nothing is realistic in a 4x game.

Hey OP, Start Trek series, especially the Next Generation series, had the capabilities to 'map' or 'recon' a planet, and yet, they used tricorders to scout unfamiliar areas. Why is that if they had the technology? Deal with it - Kutuzov hit it on the nail.

How many 4x games actually reveal the entire map at the start? This is just a standard game mechanism. It's absurd beyond words to point out that it's not realistic. Nothing is realistic in a 4x game.

It is hardly 'absurd beyond words.' If you can reveal the entire map in Civ5, it is hardly 'absurd' to think you can in this game.

Hey OP, Start Trek series, especially the Next Generation series, had the capabilities to 'map' or 'recon' a planet, and yet, they used tricorders to scout unfamiliar areas. Why is that if they had the technology? Deal with it - Kutuzov hit it on the nail.

You do know Star Trek is a TV show, right?

You do know that Civ BE is a computer game, right?

Yes, which is why I was wondering why you were bringing a TV show into it.

Top Bottom