1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme Mod - Civ2 with SMAC game engine ?

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by benjdm, Mar 26, 2002.

1. benjdm

benjdm Chieftain

Out of curiosity, has anyone created a mod for SMAC that uses Civ2's tech tree and world, etc with SMAC's game engine ? I think that would be quite interesting.

2. ajohn505

ajohn505 Mr. Fahrenheit

...it would be better than Civ3 in terms of playability :lol:

3. one_man_assault

one_man_assault Dir-tay Uno

wouldnt it have been nice if there was a game that combined the openess of SMAC and the graphics of CIV3 into a better game, It would be the ultimate.....I need some sleep

4. MajorGeneral2

MajorGeneral2 Just happy to be here

This is happening, but the other way around. Go to the Civ2 Scenario Creation forum. You'll find some people attempting to make a "SMAC mod" for Civ2. Has potential to be quite good, too.

5. hzm

hzm Ecco the Dolphin

lol. Yeah, it's in the making. I think Firaxis calls it Sid Meier's Civilization 4.

6. Sha-Feer

Sha-Feer Chieftain

My thoughts exactly. Hey, I started a poll in CIVIII general discusion on which sid game you liked best. If you liked SMAC help me out to let the people know what a cool game it is.

7. hzm

hzm Ecco the Dolphin

Well I rant a lot. Does that help?

8. Propaganda

Propaganda Chieftain

Is anyone working on this?

Would be great.

9. one_man_assault

one_man_assault Dir-tay Uno

yes yes what ever happened to it...:( I was enjoying the discussion

10. hzm

hzm Ecco the Dolphin

Is it possible to change unit graphics in SMAC? I haven't seen any mods.

11. MajorGeneral2

MajorGeneral2 Just happy to be here

It's possible to change faction, city, and picture graphics, but not units, so far as I know. There are no mods because that's very, very difficult. A Second World War scenario would be awesome, if anyone could figure out the ridiculus map maker. I would like new portraits for the leaders. *Sigh,* all this cool stuff, and no way to do it.

12. PhoebeII

PhoebeII Chieftain

It's difficult to make a MOD for SMAC 'cause, unlike Civ2 & 3, units are highly customizable during the game...

Plus, seven factions are real few for all the civilizations of the world :egypt: :jesus: :borg:

However, I dream Civ3 on SMAC engine, like you

13. Jarek Noschese

Jarek Noschese Chieftain

Great! Now... Here's the challenge: is there ANY way to MOD Civ2 so that it has the option for more balanced starting locations, or even the inclusion of military strength, wonders of the world and land area in the "power" calculation, like Alpha Centauri does? Because I was playing Alpha Centauri just last night, and WASN'T able to find my opponent as easily as I thought w/ the "look first" and "do or die" options turned on in the game rules, even w/ only 30%-50% water, and Citizen level. Civ2 however, has NO such functions (w/ the exceptions of NO restarting eliminated players, like Alpha Centauri's "do or die" option & Large Land Mass/Continental Land Form), which makes the early to mid game (ancient world to industrial revolution) NEAR UNBEARABLE, even on Chieftain, and the late game (modern era) WAY too easy, even on Deity*.

*I'm able to win w/o cheating up until Prince, w/ SOME experience at King level.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  14. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Since your question appears to be about modding Civ2, you might get a better response by posting in the Civ2 forums. I doubt that any Civ2 modders read this forum. Good luck!