Fallout: Tame The Wastes

Oh I forgot the account limits on groups... you have to have X posts and be on the forum for X days/weeks/months.. before we can add you to the group.

I can't remember what the amounts are... but as soon as you have been around long enough we will get you added :) there is also a message on the previous page if you miss it.

That is why we need new enthusiatic people like catachan (Jungle Power!) to join!

I have just done a mammoth art tweak for the UI! About 3 hours of work chaning art files. Only having to do about 6 mouse clicks per file changed... that tells you how many files there were!!

Damn it looks like I missed one somewhere!!!! AAARGH!! screw it.. close enough screenies coming soon!

OK!

The Hard Won Evolution of The Platy HUD Colour Scheme!​

It is a bit dark in places, but quite frankly I cannot be bothered to go back into any of it, also I seem to have missed a few red bits..

Whoops I miss-composited the Tech one.. nevermind I think you get the idea!

Attachments

• CityHUDComparison.jpeg
    CityHUDComparison.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DOMHUDComparison.jpeg
    DOMHUDComparison.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 171
  • TechHUDComparison.jpeg
    TechHUDComparison.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 180
Got the robots into the mod. It also includes all the previous additions since release. Just put assets folder in the mod folder and it should work. Unless you made some weird changes to XML, audio, or art.

Also because of my frankly NEAR LEGENDARY Copy/Paste Skills, we are also going to be able to have a custom HUD background for either era, or Political Alignment (Basically Religion, but will be like a civ specific background when you found your Civs Religion.)

Possibly even blending both, if we get the art and maybe a little python help to merge it correctly.

So quite frankly when we are done the HUD will look Awesome!

This all looks great! I can't wait untill the next release/the next time I'll have time to really play!

I still think we should ditch the kitchen sink civic system. But they are a whole lot easier read now.

Ok, So on investigation, it turns out that somethings are still screwed up with resolution changes.

I haven't seen a situation where the top row of city tiles is completely obscured, but I have seen it partially covered. Also some of the interface components do not scale properly with res. In some cases quite severely, especially at 1024x768 (I think) which is my lowest available res everything was pretty awful. there is also the added complexity on wide and non-wide screen res. as Deon had said. you had have differnet relative space on the X and Y.

I THINK I know what needs to be done to solve it... I think a lot of these elements need to have xresolution +/- X, yresolution +/- X for their positional settings, this will get more complex with certain boxes and things which have slightly confusing position/dimension settings. This would not solve space issues for extreme diffenerces on the size of wide and non-wide screen as each has different relative space on Y and X the axis.

I think I would need help to sit down and work out relative math for all these situations and size setting systems..

In short, I think it is solveable...Just extremely time consuming and mind boggling.. finding and changing all the needed elements.

I also have a limited number of resolutions to choose from.

It really needs someone with the passion for UI and art work that can sit and tinker for hours to make it perfect.

Like said I have already put about 15-20 hours in and I am only this far...

I think for now the simplest solution is will change the city zoom level in globaldefines as waspreviously suggested, so that hopefully any cutting will occur on the 3rd ring, rather than the 2nd ring..Yeah, that solves the issue, but there are a lot of other things to fix for lower resolutions... Oh I have a feeling this is gong to take a very long time and not be much fun...

This is an incredibly depressing thought...

I wish I had added notes to each of the lines of code I found so that I coul identify them again quickly..

The hardest thing to fix is the 'centre console' 'InterfaceCenterBackgroundWidget' becauuse these one shrinks and expands to accomadate the different res settings, where as the outer ones appear to stay more of less constant. so everything contained in the centre console (which also seems to have some of the most complicated placement code functions...) has to expand and contract with it as well..

The other alternative is to make a maininterface.py file for every resolution I have and then get the player to use their prefered one :D

Then anyone who deviates outside of the available resolutions can suck it! Or make their own! hehe

That would be the most time consuming but least complicatd way, rather than trying to write a whole load of reactive math...

I have gone through and hopefully marked all the places I made positional changes in the maininterface file, with my guess as to what it was it actually changed, so fixing those (or making Res. copies of the file) should be easier for the future, as I don't have to dig through it all to find what I am looking for.

I felt like there were a lot more when I was doing it, but I think that was because I made a lot of wrong guesses so I went to more places and it took longer first time around.

Top Bottom