1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast Food Religion Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by KingTux, Nov 5, 2005.

1. KingTux

KingTux Ruler of the Free World

Version 1.5 is going to be delayed... It's on schedule and all, but my graphic card is failing so I can only use the computer in 15 minute intervals (VERY annoying. However, I fortunately have a graphics card coming either today or tomorrow. Thank you Civ4 for saving my butt.) If it wasn't for this, I would be on schedule and be able to release it early next week. So, this might be the last version that I work on a specific timetable with, and I'm not promising 2.0 anymore (2.0 should have just about everything, if done). After 1.5, I'll be taking a couple of weeks to thouroughly document my next project: Heroes of Magic (Basically a rip off of Masters Of Magic with a couple other things to make it like a Master of Magic 3. I'm going to be more creative with races, though, using mythology galore). Here's a preview (this was a quick 15 minute sketch, I can do better. It's only to show the general look, while keeping options open for others to do what they'd like with it. Also, my scanner is slightly dirty.)

2. JayMadison

JayMadison Chieftain

very cool mod man ;)

3. KingTux

Which mod, the planned one or this one?

4. JayMadison

JayMadison Chieftain

oh the fast food one :)

5. KingTux

Just checking. It's too early to say the other one. As for 1.5, it's not going to be released until sometime after Thanksgiving. If I wasn't having technical problems, it would be here. After it comes out, all that will be left is religious movies, shrine pictures, and sound effects. If you've already got it, this update should be very easy on your downloading speed, as all that has been worked on is brand new. However, you can consider yourself lucky if I release it ahead of the modified release schedule and deliver it on Thanksgiving. The other mod will be officially announced later and the preview that I did give was done as an apology for my technical problems. Just know that the next version will be coming soon.

6. Raize

Raize Warlord

7. KingTux

This was already suggested in post #11.

I still don't have my graphics card, but as of yesterday, the computer is stable and it went from dial-up to high speed. So, now there's not an excuse to check web sites every now and then (and get a little work done). When the graphic card comes, I'll be able to see firsthand what's going on, so it's bound to improve. Today, I'm thinking of picking up where I left off last week, and possibly release it next week. Basically, this whole graphic card issue has cost me a week of developement, as I was getting close to polishing it off.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving! Version 1.5 is here! See the first post in a minute or two for the link

8. 4_HoTA

4_HoTA Chieftain

Try and get some screenshots up Tux if you can at somestage,follow this thru as this franchise mod can really become something huge if done properly,don't hesitate too ask fellow animation and graphics modders out there too help out as well.

9. KingTux

Next week, I should be able to scrounge up some screenshots, but as of today, I still haven't played Civ4. As for asking for help, the mod is small enough that I can handle it myself. I'm an old schooler with graphics and am currently working on a secret something (almost spilled the beans on the next version. If I do everything the way I have it planned, the next release will be BIG!). I can do some stuff that you just don't see anymore (for instance, when I was modding Civ3, I got a lot of stirs about me being able to make my tech tree screens look like the default tech screen, arrow wise. What I'm working on right now could get the same sort of reaction). I never intend to do any 3D modeling and will probably discontinue support on it come January. The reason the art is so cheesy right now is to keep the project on schedule. I'd rather mod one file in 1-2 minutes then spend a day on each. If I did that at this point, it would take forever (I've made one exception to this, but that's still secret). I realize that not having screenshots is hampering it's growth, but with 4,141 views, I wouldn't say that it's doing too bad. Patience will win the day through.

EDIT: Bagh! I noticed last night that version 1.0.9 came out a couple of hours after I released 1.5. So, I just made the mod 1.0.9 friendly. 1.5.1 will be on the first post in a minute or two.

10. KingTux

When was everyone going to tell me that 1 typo was making it unplayable? Now, I'm going to put my 1.7 plans (not specified here) on hold until I thouroughly review the mod and make sure that there isn't anything else wrong. So far, this has been it, but it's been around since 1.0.1, so I would have expected a comment or two on it by now. I'm planning on polishing my graphics off and making them smoother, then rerelease it as version 1.5.2. Not knowing about this sort of stuff is going to kick back screenshots while I polish it off and release more content that was intended for 1.7 (only what I've done so far). In the long run, it's going to make this mod better, but next time, could you guys at least post if there's any problems?

11. Kaenash

Kaenash Warlord

Just to add;

Can we get Hamburgler, Fry Guys, Burger King, Dairy Queen, etc as Units?

With upgradable unit skills such as "Robble Robble" which gives me +10% versus Hamburger based units such as Mayor Mccheese.

+10% Ketchup, +10 All Beef Patty, +10% Special Sauce.

When getting "Drive Thru Technology" can it be like Automation?

Can I ask the "UN" for a Resolution if I can get "cheese on that". I do not know what it is that would do, but I just want to see if England and Genghis Khan and all that will vote whether I can have "Cheese on that" or not.

Can Great Merchants be "Great Delivery Guys".
    Great Spokesman such as Dave Thomas, should also be able to help hurry wonders like "Where is the Beef" that helps propel your religion advertising campaigns.

"Duh-Duht-Duh! I'm Loving it"

12. KingTux

Fast Food 2.0 will be released real soon. It's 4.66 MB. It's not perfect by far, but I didn't want to delay the release too long. It will be posted on the 1st post as soon as I get clearance. I've learned some stuff that will be used for future versions, like how Firaxis isn't using "true" dds files, and that some stuff will be scaled and others won't. For now, here's some screenshots:

This shows that scaling dark religious buttons can be done. However, lighter versions can't. It works on this screen, but doesn't look too neat on the civilopedia screen.

This screenshot happens to be the exception to that.

And this screenshot shows that what I thought that I had done isn't quite at that point yet. I'll have to investigate this some more.

So, at this point, it's a step forward, but isn't as big of a step that I hoped it would be. For the most part, I expected all religious icons to be integrated in. Apparently, it isn't at that point yet, but hopefully a 2.1 will fix this. I REALLY want this problem to be fixed by my next release and is going to be one of my main focuses.

You'll notice that with this new version, that I've added useful tips for civ addicts. I can add 44 more. If anyone has a good one, feel free to post it. Also, after I work out all my problems that I'm having, I was thinking of doing 7 more of the rejects that I haven't done already, and providing it as an alternate choice. However, this is going to need to be a lot more mature before I'll consider it. Right now, I've got these:

Domino's Pizza (or Little Caezer's, haven't decided)
    Wendy's
    Arby's

So, as you can see, there's more needed for this. Any suggestions?

13. niffweed17

niffweed17 Warlord

what, no wendy's?

14. KingTux

Yup, at least not on my first picks. I felt like two was one too many already, but because of the big rivalry between McDonald's and Burger King, I let this slide. When the project becomes slightly more mature, I'm considering them in my second draft picks.

BTW, 2.0 is now up. Link to come shortly.

15. jstop

jstop Chieftain

how the heck is wendy's not in the original pack? :confused:

wendys is so far above mcdonalds and burger king!!

16. canucksrule19

canucksrule19 Chieftain

include carl's jr.

17. KingTux

Possibly, but I think that Jack in the Box would be far more likely to make it than that. The world of fast food has a LOT of burger joints. So, I've been trying to get the full spectrum of choices, and by doing a lot of burger joints, it doesn't seem to represent the full spectrum. The only one that I've let slide so far has been Burger King and McDonald's. I allowed two in one set just because of their rivalry and interconnectivity being very long (in fact, Burger King bought their first deep fryer from the McDonald's brothers. That's a long ways back!).

EDIT: Great news!!!!! I think that I have found the source of all my grief and anguish! Believe it or not, I am almost 100% certain that I will have it fixed so that by my next release EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT! If you don't believe this, or you think that you read this wrong, please READ IT AGAIN. What I've desperately been looking for is NOT referenced anywhere. Period. I've already changed everything that I've seen referenced, other than movies (I'm considering working on them too). Sometime next week, this might result in a new version, or a screenshot to tease you all at least. If anyone doubts me, check \resource\Civ4\GameFont.tga. You'll then see why I am thinking that this is one of the best discoveries yet.

EDIT: Was a good laugh when I opened it. Doesn't seem to make a difference, although it was quite deceitful. I even tried replacing the main files, but this doesn't seem to be the fix either. Oh well, I guess. Back to hunting that elusive file.

18. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

First time I found this thread and I have one request:

Taco Bell replased Taoism.

PLLLLLEEEEEASE make it so it says 'Julias Ceasar has discovered Tacoism!'

I know I know - I have a juvenile sense of humor but that would make me laugh in every game.

'Tacoism has spread to New York!' would also be good :)

19. KingTux

Well, as I've announced before, I'm going to have to put this project on a temporary (if not permanent) hiatus come January 1st. To keep myself from being burned out, I took the last week off. I did nothing else in my free time for the last couple of months and needed a little break so that I could revisit the problems that I've been having and to review all material. Next week, I might pick it up again, but the next version will HAVE to be the last version that I release for a long time. I'm starting classes on the 9th and won't be able to do much more than lurk around every now and then. I'm not even thinking of getting a computer down there until fall semester. So, I thought I'd post this news. My major pet project within the project is to get the overworld religious icons to work. I'm thinking that maybe I'll have to clear the cache each time. When it works, I might submit it, but I won't gurantee it by Christmas. Perhaps New Years (If it doesn't get finished by then, then it just won't get finished. Period).

I think that this would be funnier if it said: "Julius Caesar has discovered the salad" (EVEN though he didn't invent or have the Caesar salad named after him). Also, have you played it? I'm the kind of guy who has more fun playing with the box than the game (in this case, the box is modding), so I haven't logged nearly any time playing (probably about 10 hours since it came out. I've modded for at least 60 or so by now, so guess which I'm more familiar with).

20. Dr. Yoshi

Dr. Yoshi Emperor of the Universe

For Starbucks you could use the sound an expresso machine make when making and dispensing steamed milk.