Fast Food Religion Mod

Dr. Yoshi said:
For Starbucks you could use the sound an expresso machine make when making and dispensing steamed milk.

Yeah, I've thought about something like that. Maybe I'll revisit the sounds, but the thing that I've had the hardest time with is trying to find sounds that actually work for me. For instance, I haven't found a "Would you like fries with that" sound that I've liked. The only one that I've found has it barely recognizable with someone throwing up in the background (plus, it's said extremely quickly). About half of the sounds I want to replace, but it's all going to come down to how much time I can actually put into finding them.

Yous hould ad in a&w it is really good food. but there arnt that many in the states(tons in canada) and also tim hortines best dout shop any where

Muahaha! I have done it! What I was thinking before didn't work, BUT WHEN I THOUGHT ALONG THOSE LINES, things fell through and I now have all icons working properly. I'm going to put this in a 2.0.1 once I finish polishing it off a bit. It will be small enough (115 KB or so) that I'm not going to reconsider repackaging it. I'll do this so that no one has to suffer anymore from not having things the way they were meant to be seen. Now that all major stumbling blocks are taken care of, I'm considering making 2.1 a two parter, where you can choose whether to download one or both. It WILL HAVE 14 religions, but you'll have to pick and choose which you want. Hopefully, I can get this done by new years.

EDIT: I almost forgot. The second draft picks will be chosen from this list. So, make your picks or state why certain companies that rank high shouldn't be included.

TheBladeRoden said:
I vote for Pizza Hut! Is Little Ceaser's even around anymore?

I don't know. I was thinking at some point just to split off the pizza joints into their own mod and then having cheezy "Godfather" or mafia like quotes everywhere. However, I might have gotten ahead of myself, and I think that I should focus on a 2.1 release first before considering this other stuff. I'm just too close to New Years and I don't know if I could get all that massive work together. It took me about 3 or 4 days just to go through the material that I prepared for 2.0 to make sure that it worked and that I didn't forget anything.

Another question, I am trying something similar and I was wondering if there was a special trick to get the taoism.dds (and the like) in my mod folder to load instead of the default button graphics?

TheBladeRoden said:
Another question, I am trying something similar and I was wondering if there was a special trick to get the taoism.dds (and the like) in my mod folder to load instead of the default button graphics?

I know how to do that at the moment, but I'm having some technical issues that I'm resolving at the moment. Currently, anything that I have published so far DOES NOT have this support. Firaxis was sneaky and snuck them into their custom fonts. However, you mess around with some tga files (found in assets\res\fonts. More specifically, they are GameFont.tga and GameFont_75.tga) to get this support. They must retain the EXACT same pallate or it SKIPS OVER the icon that uses custom colors and moves on to the next, messing up every icon within the game (this is where I'm struggling. The old GIMP tool that allowed me to do this seems to be missing, so I'm trying to find ways around this. However, I haven't had a problem with changing GameFont_75.tga's pallate, which is causing a little confusion for me, but I'm going to try to keep both pallates the same just for the heck of it). Also, they need to be uncompressed (which will make it about 500 or more KB just to include these alone). As for what taoism.dds does, I have found out through some extensive testing that it's the illuminated icon for the religious advisor screen and the Civilopedia. The darker version can be resized like a true dds, but you CANNOT resize the regular one due to the fact that the Civilopedia DOES NOT treat them like normal DDS's. Once I release 2.1 (replanned it to be fairly complete and 1.52 compatible. I wasn't expecting a new version to be here this fast, so it's changed my plans drastically) I was thinking about doing an extensive guide somewhere with everything that I've learned so far about how religions are implemented graphics wise with Civ4. I think that there's going to be plenty of people here that will find it VERY useful.

So, on to 2.1. I'm not going to release 2.0.1 because 1.52 came out. It's been taking a while because I'm trying to figure out every little trick that I need to do for the font files. Also, I will be removing some art artifacts that I have previously included and have since found that they're not used at all. This won't reduce the file size by much, and I could possibly double 2.0's size. However, I will also try to do some minor touchups to some art to make it a little more sane (like the small tech icons have a mini religious icon in the bottom right corner, and buildings). However, this might be slightly ambitious due to my limmited time left before real life forces a deadline on me.

w00t!
I'm converting to Kirspy Kreme

lol, cool to see what people do with the game:goodjob:

Well, it seems as if someone's caught up to me on religious integration. Kael probably figured out the complete picture about the same time that I did, I just don't know how in the world he's had all that time to do all that work so far. Right now, I've got most of 2.1's features done, but the tga's are still killing me in GIMP, so I may have to do them in something else. This may be the last thing to be put in before I release it, the way things are going. Oh well, I guess. I'm just hoping to be feature complete by Monday and be able to release 2.1 sometime around the middle of the week. Pre-tests are telling me that it will weigh in around 8.19 MB, but that can go up or down. It's likely to be anywhere between 8-9 MB by the time that I get done with it.

EDIT: From what I've seen, either Civilization uses a newer targa version than the GIMP developers know about, or the GIMP has incomplete support for targa files. It's not a pallate issue with GIMP, but something far more serious. So, targa files for Civ4 HAVE to be done with a utility other than the GIMP at this point in time, which is a real shame. So, this might lead me into a project later, due to the fact that I've never found anything like this that has ever hampered my Civ developement with the GIMP. I'm real tempted to participate in the summer of code, but I might be better suited for this sort of project for me in another year or two. So, despite this, I'm still on schedule, but I can't work as fast with an editor that I completely loathe and find to be less efficient and convenient.

EDIT 2: I've implemented the overland religion icons, but it's still slightly buggy. Another bug that I'm currently fighting deals with implementing religious founding movies. I tried what seemed obvious to me, and since this had worked in several other instances, I thought that I hit a home run with it. Apparently, it doesn't seem possible to use DDS files in place of the NIF's. There may be some further depth to this that I'll need to unravel. I'm thinking that there's a camera like reference that I need to disable. So, I thought that you guys would like to see some screenshots of the current build while I battle these bugs

This screenshot shows that I may have mastered one religious icon type, but not the other. It's very strange, as they're both formatted the same. I'd expect both not to work:

And here's another that shows that I've made the Religious Advisor screen look much cleaner and a few of the text cleanups so as to make the dialogue much more bearable:

EDIT 3: Today, there will be multiple edits for edit#3 as I wrap things up. Currently, I have fixed yesterdays religion founding bug, which proved to be extremely simple. I'm going to try to resolve the small religion icon bug that I've been having and polish off the rest of my files for the rest of today.

Now I've fixed the other bug, which was also easy. There's also some screenshots at the bottom of this edit. I'm considering doing them differently on the front post and all further posts, to make these posts much easier to find what you want. If you want to see the full sized image, click on the image.

Tomorrow, I'm considering putting in an extra day to replace quite a few of the sound files, as I still think that there are better ones out there. What this means for you guys is that I probably will be putting in the last finishing touches late Wednesday/Thursday and will possibly get this file released close to New Year's eve. I want everything that I've done so far to work out to perfection. I could release it at this point at 8.55 MB, but want to be able to implement every little feature that I've been experimenting with, as I won't be able to mess around with them later. More to be added to this edit later as progress continues.

This screenshot shows off that I have truely fixed the other gamefont file, for all those unbelievers:

This screenshot shows off the new religion founding movies. NOTE: this could be changed later to make them look better in the game. It's not final at this point.

EDIT 4: Hmm... just sharing little tidbits on everything that I've done has gotten me 2,000 more views over the last week or two. Very interesting. I wonder how much more that I'll get once I actually release it. Nothing new for now, just signing in for the day. If you watch long enough, there will be some edits to Edit#4 today as I share my progress. I'm hoping that by the end of the day, that I will have everything in order to release it tomorrow. However, I'll have to PM Thunderfall, and it might be Saturday before anyone sees it, so I'll be not so secretly trying to prove the themers wrong out there once things are wrapped up for good by making a mod specific coloring that doesn't have to override the origional files. I am almost 100% positive that I am right on this one, and don't want to see the community go on blindly under this superstition. Besides, I need to maximize whatever time I have to mod and it's been a long time since I've dived into code.

All artwork is now finalized. When I finish redoing many of the sounds, it will be ready for publishing here on CivFanatics. Right now, the size is 8.51 MB, but that's not final, as sounds can dramatically raise or lower this size. However, you can at least expect to see 8 MB or more. It won't be too long now.

Bagh! Just remembered how hard it is to find what sound effects you want on the internet. I'm going to do my best, but I can't guarantee too many sounds will be exactly what I wanted.

I'm just going to release it. I changed two sound effects, but the selections that I'm finding are lousy, so I'm sticking with what I've got. Almost everything else has been changed with this version, so there's no sense in making an update file. So, stay tuned in the upcoming days when I post my final update for a while here on CivFanatics.

This is a shameless bump to let people know that I have recently made changes to the mod. Besides, the previous post was getting long. Also, I have created a temporary link for those of you out there that are too impatient to wait for a CivFanatics link. Enjoy!

Great mod! Check out the new religions thread as it has made room for 22 entries on the religions screen. Since you where thinking about expanding the companies used, you can now go up to 22 instead of the current limit.:king:

RED DIAMOND said:
Great mod! Check out the new religions thread as it has made room for 22 entries on the religions screen. Since you where thinking about expanding the companies used, you can now go up to 22 instead of the current limit.:king:

There's only one problem to that. I can't work on any projects until at least August, perhaps later. Where it is at this point in time is where it's going to have to stay unless someone else wants to pick this project up. I currently don't have my own computer up at the school that I'm attending, and not much free time either. Also, I've figured out almost everything concerning religions, and i don't think that it's hardcoded at 22, if at all. I've left it at 7 for a while because 7 balances out well, while too many can cause religions to either degrade in importance, or weaken their value.

Currently, my only contributions at the moment are just lurking around here. I can't do much more than that, as I've packed my schedule with 18 credits.

KingTux said:
There's only one problem to that. I can't work on any projects until at least August, perhaps later. Where it is at this point in time is where it's going to have to stay unless someone else wants to pick this project up. I currently don't have my own computer up at the school that I'm attending, and not much free time either. Also, I've figured out almost everything concerning religions, and i don't think that it's hardcoded at 22, if at all. I've left it at 7 for a while because 7 balances out well, while too many can cause religions to either degrade in importance, or weaken their value.

Currently, my only contributions at the moment are just lurking around here. I can't do much more than that, as I've packed my schedule with 18 credits.

Oh I understand studies are first when you are in school. DOn't be like I was and make girls first LOL!:D

I like the mod, or atleast what I've been able to see of it. All goes well until I discover Baskin Robbins. the popup window comes up, but no graphics in it, then I get a message about a memory allocation failure, reason: bad allocation, then the game crashes to the desktop. I'm running the latest patch version, any ideas?

jlindy said:
I like the mod, or atleast what I've been able to see of it. All goes well until I discover Baskin Robbins. the popup window comes up, but no graphics in it, then I get a message about a memory allocation failure, reason: bad allocation, then the game crashes to the desktop. I'm running the latest patch version, any ideas?

Delete fast food\assets\xml\gameinfo and fast food\assets\python. This will remove the movie calls. Honestly, I don't know what's going on with your copy of the game, but they worked perfectly fine for me. So, I don't anticipate that too many CivFanatics would have to resort to this, but if you're having problems like this, then this is the way to go.

KingTux said:
Delete fast food\assets\xml\gameinfo and fast food\assets\python. This will remove the movie calls. Honestly, I don't know what's going on with your copy of the game, but they worked perfectly fine for me. So, I don't anticipate that too many CivFanatics would have to resort to this, but if you're having problems like this, then this is the way to go.

I have the mod installed in my local folder (MyDocuments\MyGames\SidMeier's Civilization 4\Mods ). I'll try installing it to C:\Program files\ect... Other than that I'll try downloading it again maybe got corrupted. Thanks for the tips.:)

I think I download it, and make a Crusade against the Mc Donalds

(Mc Donalds worshippers should get -10 health per city :p

jlindy said:
I have the mod installed in my local folder (MyDocuments\MyGames\SidMeier's Civilization 4\Mods ). I'll try installing it to C:\Program files\ect... Other than that I'll try downloading it again maybe got corrupted. Thanks for the tips.:)

Then that's your problem. If you put it in that folder, it acts quite buggy. The best place to put it is where you just suggested doing it. If that's been your only problem so far, then there shouldn't be a need to redownload it.

Frostyboy said:
I think I download it, and make a Crusade against the Mc Donalds

(Mc Donalds worshippers should get -10 health per city

So, will you be doing a religious crusade of who really has the best burgers and fries (adopting Burger King) or purging their heathenistic business practices through one of the other fine choices?

KingTux said:
Then that's your problem. If you put it in that folder, it acts quite buggy. The best place to put it is where you just suggested doing it. If that's been your only problem so far, then there shouldn't be a need to redownload it.

I installed the mod to C:\program files\ect... and I'm still getting the memory allocation crash:sad:

Top Bottom