Favorite Civ?

I like to play Zulu, Aztec, or one of my own. My favorite one so far is to play as the Yoruba, who developed a very advanced form of kingship complete with checks and balances and a fairly advanced civilization overall before European contact. Nigeria, the country where most Yoruba live, is the most populous country in sub-Saharan Africa. I also like to play as the Africans, naming each city for a different tribe, or as the Native Americans, doing the same thing.

I like the English but my recent obsession with 'Immigrant Song' has prompted me to switch over to vikings :D

Lots of the time I'll name myself kmad, and name my cities kmad1 through kmad200 or whatever I get up to.

The Americans, the English, the Vikings and the Russians.

kmad, that's the best reason I've ever heard to play the Vikings!

The English, because you get more cities with "ethnic" names before you have to start renaming the likes of Naples, Cunaxa and Cremona. Celts are impossible with all those units based in cities beginning Car...
I favour a science-led strategy and get most trouble from French or Germans outresearching me early on. Usually the Americans or Persians are the biggest competitors at the end.

If I am playing One City Challenge I like to avoid starting as a White civ because that will end up being my KeyCiv; otherwise, even for Early Landing, I like to avoid being a Purple civ for the same reasons. I would prefer not to be Green or Orange either, because of the likelyhood of that being a KeyCiv for some significant part of the game. So I guess my favorite colors would be Blue, Yellow, and Cyan, and favorite civs German/French, Egyptian, and American/Chinese because they get better starting techs.

I like the Vikings because I'm Norwegian and the first city's name is Trondheim, is where I live. =)

Originally posted by ElephantU
If I am playing One City Challenge I like to avoid starting as a White civ because that will end up being my KeyCiv; otherwise, even for Early Landing, I like to avoid being a Purple civ for the same reasons. I would prefer not to be Green or Orange either, because of the likelyhood of that being a KeyCiv for some significant part of the game...

Why? I prefer purple as it limits the beaker cost that could result from being very far ahead.

With Purple, you are your own KeyCiv, so you never get penalized but you cannot get a bonus either. I am often shooting to avoid certain early techs (WarCode, Pottery, Horse, Feudalism, Masonry, etc) in hopes of trading for their successors later. Usually the AI civs will develop most of these, and if one of them is my KeyCiv they will have more techs than I (I gift my KeyCiv every two or three turns) and I will get the bonus. Potential savings is large over 70 techs...

Romans, most of the time. I'm a classics buff who prefers white to orange (or pink in the first game... ick!). I've never been able to play the Americans, because it's too darn ahistorical. Roman bombers are at least theoretically possible in an alternate history. American phalanxes, not so much.

This term, "Key Civ." Sounds like there's a strategy attached. Would anyone be so kind as to explain, or point me to an explanation?

See the link in my post from yesterday in the "Favorite Wonder - Ancient" thread.

The civs are numbered, from 1 to 7, and the power rankings are numbered as well. If you are "Pathetic" = #1, your KeyCiv is #1/White. If you are "Supreme" = #7, your KeyCiv is #7/Purple. There is a formula by which you compare the number of techs you have gotten to the number the KeyCiv has gotten; if you have more, you are penalized by higher research costs; if you have less you get lower costs. Those of us seeking to get the spaceship built the fastest are all tech-gifters to our KeyCiv, hoping that it does not have many freebie techs to wipe out the chance of getting the bonus. We also try to "skip" techs like Horse and Masonry by waiting till the other civs research Wheel or Construction and trading for it when we need it.

Interesting. And weird. What is that part of the formula supposed to simulate? Is it just a completely arbitrary part of the game mechanics?

Top Bottom