1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

favorite founding father

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by gr8ful wes, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr8ful wes

gr8ful wes Deity

this is kind of like your favorite wonder of the world. Who do you prefer

For me it is de soto early for treasure. ensures a strong start.

Then stuyvesant to build those custom houses and throw those parties.

franklin is handy. put scouts by rival colonies, be a bastard and then ask for peace.

jefferson and bolivar are probably the most important ones though. gotta get those bells and sons o liberty.

2. KingWilly

KingWilly Melbournite

I really like to get Stuyvesant. You can have as many parties as you want and still sell all your goods. Cash just keeps coming and you don't need as many ships to sail between the Americas and the Old World.

3. Dark Ascendant

Dark Ascendant Darkness Ascending...

I like Cortez so I can get rich quick and seriously build up military.

4. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

I like the guy that gives me stockades.

5. Dark Ascendant

Dark Ascendant Darkness Ascending...

de la Salle? I hate him, after him, I can't disband captured cities that I don't want anymore. :(

6. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Is that so? Well, I've never disbanded a city before, so I've got to give a look at that. And yeah, I know stockades are lame.

7. Gaius

Gaius Chieftain

de la Salle is crucial. After de la Salle You must just hold Your non-permanent colonies at 2 and You can still loot other nations cities, by removing everybody but 2 at the moment You conquer them. Eventually will other Europeans also get de la Salle, and then You have to focus on another group of colonies anyway (for example formerly Spanish it is:))

point, is that de la Salle saves You lots of "hammers". And I really don't have time to build them one by another, esp. if I'vent got any carpenter yet. And stockade + cannon is IMHO the only thing, what will stop these bleeding Indians...

8. LordAzreal

LordAzreal Warlord

Stuyvesant is my favouite founding father. Being able to sell goods without having to manually ship them back to Europe helps. Thus freeing up my transport ships for bringing in more colonists/soldiers/goods bought from Europe. Not only that, but being able to throw parties when he proposes to increase tax without suffering the effects of the boycott really helps immensely.

Second would be Cortez since burning native settlements becomes much more profitable and the king will lend the royal galleons to transport the treasure free. Of course, it includes Cibola treasure as well.

Third is De Soto, as I have been able to find more than seven of the Seven Cities of Cibola and countless fountains of youth when he is with me.

Fourth would be Brewster, since criminals and indentured servants serve little purpose except as soldiers, labourers and missionaries. It also helps being able to select which of the three available colonists you want to send to the new world.

Finally, sharing fifth are Jefferson and Bolivar. Increased liberty bells means more founding fathers quicker (not to mention quicker arrival of interventionary forces during the war of independence). Increased sons-of-liberty membership means that colonies will be ready for independence sooner.

As for de la Salle, I don't mind his presence. However, I wait until later when I know for sure where my permanent colonies are to be situated, and I've made sure that foreign powers are not a problem (sometimes their placement overlaps).

9. gr8ful wes

gr8ful wes Deity

For me, I am not too fond of La Salle, Fugger, Drake, and some of the Missionary guys.

10. Gaius

Gaius Chieftain

1st in no doubt is Brewster, cos Indians are getting pretty angry, if send some criminal missionaries in:)
    Minuit is good, but not too good, cos You begin exploiting Indian lands far too fast, eventually of cource I wipe out half dozen villages and their capital to expand my core colonies, but I don't want them to harass my pioneers from the start.
    Stuyvesant is of cource needed to play the game, cant see any way around him...
    Drake is rather good one, cos other Europeans tend to drag muscets and tools to their colonies.
    I do not ever use the guy who automatically takes up muscets, far waste of liberty bells IMHO. But in process all Fathers will come to Your Congress eventually:)
    So my first calls would be Brewster/Minuit, Drake, Salle.
    And then Stuyvy, Jefferson and Washington.

11. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

Adam Smith No Doubt about that. Factories a plus. I also like John Paul Jones he gives you a free frigate. :)

12. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Jefferson, first: I emphasize liberty bells.
    Brewster, second: pick the colonists you want. (Until Brewster, all criminals and most servants are made scouts.)
    Magellan: I love the extra movement.
    Drake: I like to stake out my own little territory and then prohibit any other powers from sailing there.

13. gr8ful wes

gr8ful wes Deity

I like to do that too, but I treat all water like it belongs to me, and I use frigates to enforce my will.:D

14. de Montcalm

de Montcalm Chieftain

It's clearly de la Salle. Free stockades are very important in defending against those indians and the other Europeans and you safe lot's of time in which you can produce other things and you know time is always important in Col when you have to prepare against a coming onslaught.

15. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

De soto. More benefits from those rumors. strong start. Stay ahead the whole game. After that... Whichever comes in handy..

16. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

Francis Drake.

Privateers rulezzz!

17. Ludovit

Ludovit ill-minded

Stuyvesant - who wants to bother with going to Europe?
    Minuit - especially in the begining he is important
    Then Smith, Drake, Brewster, maybe some others.

Least favourite are la Salle, Hudson, Fugger and B de las Casas.
    And I'm not too fond of Pocahontas as well.

But it very much depends on situation.

18. covok48

covok48 Emperor

Benjamin Franklin- Gets the damned AI off your back!

19. jeriko one

jeriko one Exalted Fleetlord

Benjamin Franklin-no question!!!
    Drake-Privateers!!!
    Magellan-Movement
    George Washington-Best of the Best

20. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.