1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Map Type so far?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ornen, Oct 30, 2016.

?

What's your favorite map type in Civ 6 base game?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2016.
  1. Continents

43 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Inland Sea

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Fractal

39 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. Pangaea

9 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. Island Plates

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Shuffle

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. DonPato

DonPato Chieftain

That's why I was confused. Also, I believe that shuffle in CiV was a random selection from continents, pangea, islands, etc.

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

But shuffle still is random, just a different random than "either pangea, continents, island plates, inland sea or fractal".
    If Shuffle would be just that (randomly choosing one of the other maps), then why is it called shuffle? And why did I never play on a map that was clearly Inland Sea, Pangea or Continents (the other two are possible to have appeared)? Maybe I need a larger sample...
    And what is the advantage of "choses random script" over "randomly combines scripts"? Anyway - I wish you happy games on whatever map you'll find yourself on!

Plus Ultra likes this.
  3. DonPato

DonPato Chieftain

I agree with you completely, and I sincerely hope that you are right about shuffle just truly being totally random. I'm almost certain that that was not the case in CiV, as I stated above, but I hope that it is for CiVI. I'll probably play a shuffle game tonight to test things out for myself =] I hope that Firaxis can update the tooltips and things to let us know more clearly. I mean, it's weird that things are unclear enough that we have to even be having this conversation, isn't it?

4. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

I changed my mind, I hate Pangea now. It makes it very easy for the Deity AI to get a "surprise" Religion victory because they can just send the missionary hordes everywhere and the chain reaction of rival AIs spreading enemy religion means you either wipe the leader fast or lose mid-game.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

island plates was just horrible for me. Very low production and no mountains. I started in tundra as well. Inland sea was much better for me but I didn't have diverse luxuries, so I had more amenity problems with the ai's being reluctant to trade. Continents is still my favorite, fractal is alright as well.

6. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I would enjoy fractal if it wasn't so snaky. I hate snaky continents.

7. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Yea I like 2 or 3 landmasses with a some deep water betweeen them. Hopefully we can get 'larger' maps ....

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  8. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

Shuffle sounds awesome :D I wonder what fractal is like

9. cranium1

cranium1 Chieftain

I like continents, at least 3-4 medium/ large ones, with a few random islands with some rare strat resources/ luxuries.

10. isau

isau Deity

I really want a map version or way to ensure that it's possible to sail all the way around the globe. The existence of sea ice prevents that in the current game in most cases.

I tried the Shuffle maps and used a cheat code to reveal them. Here are some examples I got.

Spoiler :

20161031172037_1.jpg

20161031173026_1.jpg

20161031173414_1.jpg 20161031173630_1.jpg

11. criZp

criZp Emperor

Just played a map of inland lakes, tiny map with 5 players, so 1 more than standard.

Early game I took out saladin, then my legions kept on marching westward... and it just took forever before I found two other civs, like my units were outdated when I got over there, and walking them back to my territory to upgrade would take probably like 15 minutes.

The map itself was nice enough, but next time I'm adding an additional 2 players, if not 3 (so 7/8 total, tiny map)

12. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Warlord

I liked how the continents were distributed in the Fractal map I played. Continents and Pangea both had stupid looking "continents" that are clearly just diagonal straight lines running down the entire landmass. At least in Fractal the "continents" looked like they begin/end near chokepoints and some mountain ranges. Whether it was luck (very likely, considering I've played so few times on any map type) or not, I liked it.

The Shuffle map script looks like it randomly chooses Fractal (50% of time) / Island (30%) / Continents (20%), with random Age, Temperature, and Sea Level.

13. KmDubya

KmDubya King

I'm liking Inland Sea maps.
    • The outer boundary ends up spawning a lot of barbarians which keeps things interesting.
    • You probably have only two or three neighbors that you can reach by land. This cuts down on your ability to steamroll the map with horsemen.
    • Since some of the AI will not be reachable early they will have a chance to grow and prosper while you slug it out with your neighbors.
    • The world will learn of your atrocities, no more clearing a continent and meeting the much smaller neighbors. The extra everything from owning an entire continent is a huge boost that the AI just can't compete with.
    • Navies are useful but not required, but unlike a Pangea should not be ignored.
    • You still have several continental plates for the various continent bonuses.
    • Lots of weird mountain ranges making for choke points.
    In my current Emperor game as Germany six of the eight players spawned in the southern half while two spawned with the city states in the top half. The two halves were also separated by a jungle belt that is like eight tiles deep plus mountains. I'm stuck in the tundra with only a green belt along the coast dealing with endless hordes of Scythian horses in the Industrial age while Sumeria in the north had gobbled up all the city states in the ancient era and was in the Atomic age. He built Ruhr valley 50+ turns before I ever got to factories.

14. sigmakan

sigmakan Warlord

I found I needed to set the map age to New for island plates, otherwise there would be no hills/mountains.

15. Exodite

Exodite Chieftain

Currently I really don't like any of them though I default to Huge Continents maps at the moment.

The problem is that every single Huge Continents map I've played so far (20+) have consisted of two mega-continents which stretch completely from the north pole to the south pole, are a roughly oval shape and have 80% of the AI civilizations start within spitting distance of me on one of them.

Trying for Island Plates have landed me alone on a minuscule island which can't support more than one city, though I've only tried that three times so far.

Eagerly awaiting better map scripts, something that produces 6-8 continents on huge with 2-3 civs per, and never more than 4, while leaving some uninhabited would be ideal. And one that spaces out the civs evenly over the map instead of having them all crawling up my backside from the start.

And, oh yes, much much bigger maps than we have now.

Eagle Pursuit and durecellrabbit like this.
  16. Bobolove

Bobolove Chieftain

Every map is pretty Moderator Action: <snip> because you most times sea ways are blocked by antartics. I had to use cheat to reveal map like 20 time before I got one decent map.

Moderator Action: Please help us keep the forums family friendly.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
    Libermmucist likes this.
  17. Pico 22

Pico 22 Chieftain

Islands, because exploring with my ships/scouts has always been my favorite part of the game and in Civ VI it's only interesting with this type of map - though there are obvious drawbacks, as mentioned above.

18. durecellrabbit

durecellrabbit Chieftain

I like Continents the best but the max sized north-south continents it makes are not great. I'd like a script with more and better shaped continents as well as some nice uninhabited large islands.

19. DonPato

DonPato Chieftain

After seeing the kinds of things that shuffle produces, I'm actually surprised to see it as low as it is. Fractal is still my favorite, but still...

20. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

I tend to play continents as I regularly have the best games on them. I tried fractal once and I ended up in such a horrible start position that I had to restart and haven't tried it again. Haven't really tried the others yet as I generally haven't liked them in previous Civ games.

I'm not fond of how the continents come out on the Continents maps though...there's something about how they are shaped that seems...off. They are too long and not fat enough or something.