[BTS] Favorite wonders, and why?

Aether369

Chieftain
Hey,

I've been playing for only a few months, and I wonder what are the popular wonders to build by folks here(especially the veterans), so I thought it would be fun and informational to ask.

aight, I'll add first(though these aren't an experienced player's opinions, so guide me on this one)

HL(Hanseatic League) - Besides the cool history about it, I also like that my economy starts to flourish everytime I finish it( more than GL does at classical). It does help me make the gold to spend on alot things around mid medieval: research, espionage and gold rush a building( yea I often does this to jumpstart a new settlement. I gold granary, jewelry, and (sometimes) theater). I think this is because of my bias, because I usually pick seafarer leaders, so maybe my mind will change.

Askle(asklepieion) - To anyone who aren't aware, this is the wonder that reduces plague build-up city and gives some health on the city it is built on. This wonder is surprisingly worth the hammers. turns out, less plague means more commerce on my main commerce city, since I can build more cottage without worrying about increased infestation. really gets better with increased difficulty level. It doesn't get obsolete for a long time too!(until Microscope, Rennaissance)

FA(Fortress Alamut) - This is probably exclusive to Political leaders, but what I like about this, is that, the units that you build in a city it is in will have free commando promotion, which lets my light horsemen to blitz raid enemy improvements, and catch workers off guard, and it lets me build city assault melee units and levies that can get to the enemy cities asap. The walls? well, let the spies and the wonder's bonus espionage take care of it beforehand(because, unfortunately, siege units like trebs and cannons can't receive commando promotion. would be awesome if they do though). the history behind it looks pretty cool too! you like assassin's creed? or assassins in general? or devouted fanatics? look it up!

I think that's all I can remember for now. I do remember somebody mentioning the Mids(pyramid) being good, so I always build it, but I can't intuitively feel the benefits of it positively affecting my game. I guess because of the engineer? I dunno what to do with it, though, tbf, of all my 4 games, I haven't progressed past early rennaissance, so maybe I'll need an engineer someday.
I think there's also the christian wonder that's really good, but alas, the AI got there first before I get to build it. there's also Islam's Haram esh-sharif that's pretty good for seafarer leaders.

Let me know what you guys think!

Edit: I did some fact checking on Askle

Last edited:
Stone Henge. - It's almost a game-winning wonder; if you get it early it means you'll get a steady stream of arguably the best great person's available (Great Prophets) It also takes a fair bit before it's obsolete if you're playing as a nation that has good Paganism (Germany, Britain, France, Italy, Scandanavia)

Pyramids. - Same reasons as above but it's slightly worse choice as engineers aren't as useful and it takes just a slightly longer time to build while also going obsolete nearly as quickly. It's still worth it if you've got a good Pagan nation and you want to ride those benefits as long as possible.

I will also say that both these wonders are generally good to go for because you're rarely needing a huge military in the ancient era so it can be very beneficial to go for wonder production rather than building up an army. Situational of course.

Hanseatic League. - Not really anything to add to your post. It's easy to get because the combination of civics and technologies required to build it makes it harder for the AI to get it before you, and it gives a hefty bonus while also providing one of the better Great Persons (Merchants can solve your economy over night in a lot of cases.)

Angkor Wat. - Big boost to hammers as well as cash for your religious buildings. More money equals more research anyways so I think it is better than most wonders by providing both cash and production.

Art of War. - I just like this wonder because the added experience is usually needed right around the time I get it done because I tend to build my military after the ancient times.

The Great Lighthouse. - Similar to the Hanseatic League and ends it usefulness around the same time the HL comes into play, but it's still a huge leg-up to your economy. Very worth it.

GazProm, for memetic reasons. It gives enemies extra war weariness.

Most of you people understand why this is a bonus for the wonder. :D

Stone Henge. - It's almost a game-winning wonder; if you get it early it means you'll get a steady stream of arguably the best great person's available (Great Prophets) It also takes a fair bit before it's obsolete if you're playing as a nation that has good Paganism (Germany, Britain, France, Italy, Scandanavia)
I see, I noticed how important Prophets can be. besides the great total value they give when settled on a city(though neither specialized into hammer or gold), I had frustrating times where the enemy AI got to the religious wonder before me. Seems that the new update about holy city wonders values great prophet even more.

The Great Lighthouse. - Similar to the Hanseatic League and ends it usefulness around the same time the HL comes into play, but it's still a huge leg-up to your economy. Very worth it.
I really like this wonder, even during the vanilla game, except that, I just don't feel the benefits of it whenever I built it. I don't know about small maps, but in huge maps, early foreign trade routes don't seem to work properly. also, seems that classical trade routes can't save my econ as much as medieval do, most probably because of the lack of cities and buffs from buildings. Maybe I should try a game run of not building it and see if my econ gets harsher, or I should change the stats to my own liking where it's trade bonus is focused on the city it is built, because I can't see how a big lighthouse directly boosting the trade of other cities other than the one it's built on, and that, I think I'm more focused on defending few big cities during classical.

GazProm, for memetic reasons. It gives enemies extra war weariness.

Most of you people understand why this is a bonus for the wonder. :D
lmao, it actually surprises me that the ingame wiki info is updated

#1 is Kremlin hands down. Those -10% maintenance in all cities really add up, and the added little bonus to Manors is quite nice as well.
But I also like Gondeshapur and Copernicus' Observatory. More science for my science city!

Situationally, the Great Bath of Mohenjo-Daro (I hope I got the spelling right) can be very nice, if you have a city surrounded by jungle and can stack Animism on top.
Later on I think some of the Wonders are less interesting, but the Statue of Liberty is pretty cool.

Kremlin is like the most vital wide wonder.

Quick question on wonders: I've already figured out that if I'm building a wonder and switch civics, I stop being able to build that wonder (figured this out with Stonehenge and animism). If I build a wonder and then switch out of the civic that allowed it, do I keep getting its effects?

EDIT: I do not, which I actually like now that I'm used to it. No "paganism just for wonders then immediate animism for the health" cheese.

Last edited:
Quick question on wonders: I've already figured out that if I'm building a wonder and switch civics, I stop being able to build that wonder (figured this out with Stonehenge and animism). If I build a wonder and then switch out of the civic that allowed it, do I keep getting its effects?

EDIT: I do not, which I actually like now that I'm used to it. No "paganism just for wonders then immediate animism for the health" cheese.
slr

yea, though culture persists afaik

Top Bottom