Favourite Nation to play

What is your favourite nation to play as?

• Dutch

Votes: 89 53.9%
  • English

Votes: 44 26.7%
  • French

Votes: 21 12.7%
  • Spanish

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters

KingWilly

Melbournite
I would really like to know which nation you prefer to play and for what reason.

Does the nation you play determine the style of game you play?

Do you find it harder to play as a certain nationality?

Dutch, because they tend to do well with small, tight, efficient colonies, and I hate micromanagement, so it makes it more of an "enterprise" game than an "empire" game.

R.III

I find myself playing the Dutch most often. A merchantman to start with and a stable(relatively) economy. With the merchant man I like to get 4 colonies built close together very quickly and really start shipping as much as posible early.

Then the English. and when I play as the English I will put more emphasis on building churches to get more people.

Sometimes I like to play as the french simply so that I have decent relations with the natives, but I usually begin trading with them right away as the English and Dutch so It has become less important.

I honestly can't remember the last time I played as the Spanish. I rarely conquer the indians, so dont care to play as the Spanish. I get much more benefit from trade with the natives. I like to loot the spanish, and steal their cargo/treasure trains.

Dutch, because I am Dutch. :D

But also because it's really nasty when you have a trade route it becomes non-profitable after a couple of turns. And you start with a merchantman. :groucho:

In colonization, everything has to do with money. The Dutch market is so much more reliable.

Well since i'm playing my best game as the English.....i'll say the English although i favor the Dutch, but i just get murdered when i play as the dutch....

Coin toss between Spanish and English. Both suit my expansionist style. English make for a good peaceful expansion game, and Spanish make for a good militaristic expansion game. Of course, I may favour these two since I have heritage from both of these countries.

That would be the dutch. The main reason: because I'd like to see what NY would look like if those english didn't buy it...
Oh yeah, and me being dutch counts too.

Always played under control of Ducth economics, but now I really like French pioneer, very good start can come out of him.
For English I have no need, because my early strategy includes taking over other colonies. Usually You are at the same continent with one (moderately close even), they'll go first. First colonies whereabouts arent that crucial, so I might build my core provinces up on their location.
Then next one on another continent, I also drag them to my colonies, if they don't have too good location.
When I'm after third one, they're usually stockaded allready, so I have to build up that place to became second core system...
Finally Spaniards -- I don't want to start killing off Indians, and
therefore they give me no boost in the beginning

Originally posted by spycatcher34
I play as English mostly. I like to have huge cities with 20 people in them. I some times play as the Dutch.
Nearly the same reasons... so I play as the English mostly and sometimes as the Dutch.

Dutch, dissing and eliminating spanish AI is always the first goal in my games.

I play french only. It's much better paid doing buisness with the indians so be carefull to protect them against the evil spanish.

French: I like getting along with the natives, and I like the color. I'm not into conquest (spanish) or heavy immigration (english). I might try the Dutch sometime, though, as I appreciate what others have already said about market stability.

(That may be a while, however, as I discovered Colonization and then Civ 2, which has been LOADS of fun -- I'm not sure I can tear myself away to "return to the colonies.")

Of course it's the French for me, pretty obvious :goodjob:

Well seriously, it's very lucrative to establish good relations with the natives, get tons of gifts and when you're strong enough conquer them and get rich with all the treasury.

That's my devious playing style :flamedevi

NOPE! again

English - I usually play on archipelago, build up few cities that develop fast. No problems with other Europeans and Indians and it is well defendable, cuz they must go with ship to your city to disembark and then they are attacked by fort. And I like micromanagement, in colonization it's very important thing.

Sometimes I play Dutch for mentioned reason, rarely French and never Spanish.

Top Bottom