Feature Focus: Civics and Ideologies

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator

It seems like a neighboring civ affecting the values of your people.

I remember somebody here (or was it on Games2Gether?) referring to our descriptions as "Amplitude's continued quest to make me crack out the dictionary."

None of us realized that 'Amplitude' means 'Lexicological Nerds' in an obscure French dialect . . .

It shows commitment, that's for sure. But maybe I should play the game in French anyways since its a French company and it's an opportunity to learn obscure French words.

I just love the system as presented. Had to write it, couldn't simply upvote the post. What I especially like is that you are talking about very practical question: should women or men or both be the priests? And not "one point into patriarchy". It reminds us that these sociological questions with complex terms are in truth often quite simple decisions (woth wide ranging effects).

Amd no, that simplicity doesn't clash with using words like promulgate. At least not necessarily.

It shows commitment, that's for sure. But maybe I should play the game in French anyways since its a French company and it's an opportunity to learn obscure French words.

I just love the system as presented. Had to write it, couldn't simply upvote the post. What I especially like is that you are talking about very practical question: should women or men or both be the priests? And not "one point into patriarchy". It reminds us that these sociological questions with complex terms are in truth often quite simple decisions (woth wide ranging effects).

Amd no, that simplicity doesn't clash with using words like promulgate. At least not necessarily.

Playing any Historical game with military units in almost any European language will introduce you to a whole bunch of less-than-obscure French words: cuirassiers, engineers, brigade, division, battalion, aerodrome, for starters. @Catoninetales_Amplitude can probably whip out a dozen more examples,

I, too, enjoy Amplitude's puissance and adroitness when the time comes to palaver.

This may sound odd, but I'd recommend against it.
Pretty much all the text in the Amplitude games is written in English first (or sometimes parsed into English from data), then localized into French. As far as I know, the localization is done externally, and from what I hear from French players the localization has some issues.

So this choice of vocabulary isn't a matter of translating from French to English, but a matter of Jeff's preferences when writing.

P.S. To avoid any future confusion, the decision about the priests is an event, not a Civic.

In the same day:
- Civ6 drops a 'patch' which barely changes anything, because of all things they could do or fix with the game, they have instead decided to add an alternate fantasy game mode with vampires. Meanwhile there is nothing more to politics beyond choosing between sets of bonuses (cards).
- Humankind does a dev diary on the amazing government system is conceptually miles ahead of Sid Meier's, a true innovation in the genre.

Moderator Action: Please stay on topic. Stop the thread derails. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I like how HK is geared towards representing a very interesting abstraction of history, in which the mechanics are chosen to represent broad historical situations. Civ is making it really easy to step away from it, in which the the historical aspect is a very light coat of paint at most on the mechanics, like the policies cards. It doesn't feel you are implementing a law, it's just yield bonuses all around.

To be fair, the developers have announced that they will alternate between content and balance patches, so nothing big was expected for Civ this month. Also, they have crossed the bridge to fantasy long ago, and as a board game, it kinda fits with civ6. So I'm very okay with that. But this is another topic for another thread. It shouldn't have anything to do with what Humankind wants to achieve here. I would advise them to go for the more serious note/athmosphere in comparison. And it seems like they want that so far. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom