February/March Gauntlet

I had not realised this but a lake instead of river means hoover is not available, I got another SGL so I have 2 for when I hit the modern age, in the meantime I will build Military Accademy a couple of armies and pentagon

Well, I finished with the Byzantines in 1670. It was a nice start - 3 cows, a river, and only three coastal tiles. Only one hill and no ivory, but one can't have everything. The big thing I was lacking was a SGL; I don't think I got one the whole game. Lots more fun than my struggles last month.

Early SGLs are the key I think, I have had SGLs in my games, but they were a bit late game unfortunately

I finally finished in 1630AD, I will submit this later

I finally finished in 1630AD, I will submit this later

Somehow I have this suspicion that you win the score tiebreaker. ;)

I have one game going. Got an early SGL for CB. Unfortunately it is only one for now. Another BC SGL could let me finish in 13xx AD and beat current number 1 in this category.

Starting location is not perfect: one grassland cow, few hills and bg's; making 27 spt in Republic. Capital built a settler, then Pyramids, 3 or 4 settlers again and then MoM to trigger GA synchronizing with establishing Republic.

Culture builds:

4000 BC Palace
3200 BC Pyramids
2430 BC Temple
1425 BC Mausoleum
1175 BC Great Library
1150 BC Library
950 BC Oracle
900 BC Cathedral
710 BC Statue of Zeus
670 BC University
630 BC Colosseum
290 BC Shake's Theater

Next culture builds will be Heroic Epic, Hanging Gardens, Newton's University.

Did you get Theology as your free tech Ignas? It's interesting to me that you put out 4 or 5 settlers total from the capital, instead of just 1. I guess even though that gets the Oracle in later, that helps with research in getting to Shake's earlier.

Entered Middle Ages in 975 BC, got Invention for free.

I made a mistake not researching Mysticism after CB or Alphabet, so I didn't have any wonder to build or prebuild and built settlers instead.

I guess on monarch as no one started with CB it would take a long time for the AI to get there, Shakes in 290BC is awesome though, who are you playing as?

I'm playing as Persia. Ottomans, Greece, Russia likes researching CB first, so it's not 100% you get it first.

I sweated a lot at the end, but managed to sneak in ahead of del62 and DWetzel, finishing in 1625. I got a SGL for metallurgy, which I used for Bach's. I made a few errors with Constantinople, which probably cost me a turn (as I ended up with 20124 cp), and I didn't do enough warring. I wiped out the Americans to get coal (and got oil in the deal) but had no MGL. I wiped out the Germans toward the end, as I realized I wouldn't beat 1630 without the heroic epic, and got some very late MGLs which I used for an army, Battlefield Medicine, and the Apollo Program.

I have one game going. Got an early SGL for CB. Unfortunately it is only one for now. Another BC SGL could let me finish in 13xx AD and beat current number 1 in this category.
I'm not giving up that #1 slot without a fight! ;) I have a game where I also got an early SGL. Mine wasn't coastal either but I did have good production with 2 cows and plenty of hills. 32spt (45 in my GA) and 45spt after shakes is pretty good. I also had a good range of luxes to ensure that research was good. The surrounding land needed plenty of work for my supporting towns-loads of jungle/marsh to clear before I could get my core fully up and running so I did use my capital for a few settlers until the first ring could produce them.

I got one other SGL but it was just in time for Sistene so no complaints there. I'm at work atm so I cannot give details but I'm currently at the 1100AD mark with a CAII projection of around 1355 IIRC. I'm bulding CFC atm @192spt and this leaves just Manhattan so I doubt that I can drop it below this date unless CAII is wrong (which it sometimes is by one turn). I also have a MGL waiting for the nuke protection small wonder that I cannot remember the name of. I just need to find some time to finish it off. I'll post details when I get home and look at it. Maybe I can finish it off over the next couple of days.

I sweated a lot at the end, but managed to sneak in ahead of del62 and DWetzel, finishing in 1625. I got a SGL for metallurgy, which I used for Bach's. I made a few errors with Constantinople, which probably cost me a turn (as I ended up with 20124 cp), and I didn't do enough warring. I wiped out the Americans to get coal (and got oil in the deal) but had no MGL. I wiped out the Germans toward the end, as I realized I wouldn't beat 1630 without the heroic epic, and got some very late MGLs which I used for an army, Battlefield Medicine, and the Apollo Program.

Bah, now I'm going to have to use, like, TWO cities. This sucks.

I'm so sorry to rain on your parade. Of course, the 13xx dates leave us all in the dust.

I probably won't have time to try again, as I haven't started GOTM 100 yet.

I'm so sorry to rain on your parade. Of course, the 13xx dates leave us all in the dust.

I probably won't have time to try again, as I haven't started GOTM 100 yet.

But it was such a nice parade, too.

DWetzel said:
Bah, now I'm going to have to use, like, TWO cities. This sucks.

I say go for at least four so you can form an army and build the Heroic Epic.

I say go for at least four so you can form an army and build the Heroic Epic.

Probably wise.

Maybe I'll just go for building no settlers. That's a nice compromise (which will actually work okay if I can pop one from a hut!)

Final 20K date: 1350AD
Spoiler capital location :

This looked like a good start with plenty of production capacity. It turned out that I also had two bgs under the marsh in my capital. It gave 32spt @ size 12, 45spt in my GA (kicked off by MoM in 1075BC) and also 45spt once I got Shakes built towards the end of the AA. A couple of luxes within sight by 3500BC, two more also within 5 tiles of the capital and ivory also within reach kept the people pretty happy and the CB SGL gave me what I hoped for. A 1000BC shot gives a better idea of the surrounding location:
Spoiler :

I had selected 9 civs for my opponents. I wanted plenty of units around for MGL chances, hoping that there would still be plenty of land for me to expand into. Greece, Germany, Russia, Korea and the Byzantines were going to be my trading/research partners. Portugal, Rome, the Hittites and France would serve three main purposes: increase my chances of getting a trade for Alphabet; pump cash into the world economy which would help me rush key buildings; provide me with MGL fodder. It turned out that the French were on a separate island and by the time they were found they served no useful purpose.

As far as research went, I started with CB and got the first of what turned out to be just two SGLs. The other one was quite well timed for Sistine, so although I would have been happier with more, two early ones is pretty good and I had the production capacity to build wonders by hand at a fair rate.

After CB I went for Myst and then started on Alphabet before meeting Greece, trading and heading on up the Republic slingshot route. My full research list is shown in the spoiler below:

Spoiler research path :
I extracted the following information from my saves which may be of interest:

Code:
Turn	Year	Techs gained since the start of the previous turn (red techs=trades)
13	3350 BC	Ceremonial Burial [COLOR="RoyalBlue"](SGL#1)[/COLOR]
27	2670 BC	Mysticism
30	2550 BC	[COLOR="Red"]Alphabet[/COLOR] (part researched)
45	1950 BC	Writing
47	1870 BC	[COLOR="Red"]The Wheel; Warrior Code[/COLOR]
50	1750 BC	[COLOR="Red"]Iron Working[/COLOR]
57	1575 BC	Code of Laws
63	1425 BC	Philosophy; The Republic (revolution)
70	1250 BC	[COLOR="Red"]Pottery[/COLOR]
71	1225 BC	Literature; [COLOR="Red"]Horseback Riding[/COLOR]
72	1200 BC	Mathematics
75	1125 BC	Polytheism
80	1000 BC	Currency
84	900 BC	Construction
88	800 BC	Map Making;[COLOR="Red"] Monotheism; Feudalism; Engineering; [/COLOR]Theology
94	670 BC	Education
99	570 BC	Printing Press
105	450 BC	Banking [COLOR="RoyalBlue"](SGL #2)[/COLOR]
111	330 BC	Democracy
115	250 BC	Free Artistry
119	170 BC	Astronomy
123	90 BC	Music Theory
124	70 BC	[COLOR="Red"]Monarchy[/COLOR]
125	50 BC	[COLOR="Red"]Invention[/COLOR] (part researched)
128	10 AD	Gunpowder
132	90 AD	Chemistry
136	170 AD	Physics
140	250 AD	Theory of Gravity
142	270 AD	[COLOR="Red"]Chivalry[/COLOR]
144	290 AD	Metallurgy
148	330 AD	Magnetism; [COLOR="Red"]Nationalism; Medicine;[/COLOR] Sanitation
152	370 AD	Steam Power
156	410 AD	Industrialization
160	450 AD	The Corporation
164	490 AD	Electricity
166	510 AD	[COLOR="Red"]Navigation[/COLOR]
168	530 AD	Scientific Method
172	570 AD	Refining
176	610 AD	Steel
180	650 AD	[COLOR="Plum"]Atomic Theory[/COLOR]; Combustion; [COLOR="Plum"]Electronics (ToE)[/COLOR]
184	690 AD	Replaceable Parts
187	720 AD	[COLOR="Red"]Military Tradition[/COLOR]
188	730 AD	Economics
192	770 AD	Mass Production
196	810 AD	Motorized Transportation
200	850 AD	[COLOR="Red"]Communism[/COLOR]; Flight; [COLOR="Red"]Rocketry; Fission[/COLOR]; Nuclear Power; [COLOR="Red"]Ecology; Fascism[/COLOR]
205	900 AD	Computers
210	950 AD	Miniaturization
214	990 AD	Synthetic Fibers
219	1040 AD	Genetics
223	1080 AD	Space Flight
227	1120 AD	Espionage
231	1160 AD	The Laser
235	1200 AD	Robotics
239	1240 AD	Superconductor
243	1265 AD	Satellites
247	1285 AD	Smart Weapons
251	1305 AD	Integrated Defense
255	1325 AD	Stealth
259	1345 AD	Recycling
I didn’t want to hurt the scientific AIs just in case they researched something useful and the non-scientific civs were far away so Heroic Epic was built quite late. In the end I waited for tanks, using blitz to get a few elites the quick way. An earlier war was really the way to go though.

My full list of culture builds is attached.

Attachments

• culture builds.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 3500BC.jpg
    3500BC.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 1000BC.jpg
    1000BC.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 175
looks like a great game, Tone :goodjob:
which town provided your empire with so much population for that rapid expansion? since in a 20k you obviously won´t have the capital do that job. did you set up Gordium very fast as a SF?

templar_x

Top Bottom