Final Fantasy Tactics: Super Advanced

Hi Hikaro, take all the time you need! RL is far more important!
Redman

Thanks! The good news is that the doctors think they got all the cancer out, but they're going to be giving mom a complete body scan and chemo just to be safe. Mom's back from the hospital, and even though things are still somewhat hectic (I've had to take on additional chores around the house on top of getting barraged by homework), but they're not as bad, so I'll be posting updates to the story from time to time.... Mostly on the weekends, though, since that's when I'll have the most free time.

Chapter 18: The Golden Age of Tycoon
Part I: Speed Research and Development​

The year is 1624 PA, and the Kingdom of Tycoon has entered into a great Golden Age of learning and prosperity. Queen Reina calls a meeting of her various advisers to discuss how to best take advantage of the increased productivity and trade throughout the kingdom as a result of our control of the Myrrh Trade.

Science adviser Cid starts off the meeting with an announcement:

His crack team of engineers have discovered the techniques of Flight, and Cid has built and successfully tested a prototype Airship in his workshop. "We will now be able to link our cities with Airports and build Cargo Airships to rapidly ferry troops and goods between cities," he says, "even better, once we have an Airport up and running, we can build an Airship Factory that will crank out combat Airships for us as well." (Airship Factory is a SW that boosts production in the city that builds it and produces an Airship every 5 turns... The Airship's stats are 15 att, 10 def, 2 movement (all terrain as roads), radar, lethal bombard of 20, recon, re-base and airdrop, making it the most powerful medieval unit available. The Cargo airship is an early air transport that can carry 2 units of any type).

"Excellent work, Cid," Queen Reina replies, "You should have your people work on Banking reforms next... We could no doubt use the extra money when our current trade boom settles down to normal... That said, I'm also increasing your research budget to speed up our research progress."

"Thanks, Highness," Cid replies, "Now I can finally get some stuff done!"

"Your Highness, if I may make a suggestion," Governor Takayama speaks up, "I say that we should put the Airship factory in either Galbadia Garden or Tower or Worus, preferably Galbadia Garden, since the West Galbadian territories are almost completely surrounded by potential enemies and production isn't quite up to snuff if we get sneak-attacked.... Having a couple of Airships on hand would work nicely for deterring would-be attackers or even holding of an enemy army if the worst case scenario happens."

"Good point, Governor," the queen replies, "General Sephiroth?"

"I agree," General Sephiroth says, "Having the Airship Factory located in our most vulnerable territory would be a wise decision." He then adds, "By the way, your highness, the Mage Tower in Tycoon Capitol has finished training their first Mage party... I took the liberty of assigning them to General Bartz Klauser's Army."

Queen Reina nods and says, "Good work, General! Ritz, I need you to send envoys to Garden and the Shinra Corporation... I want you to give the secrets of Flight to Squall to help in his war effort and to keep him on our good side. I want to see if Rufus will trade us the secrets of Astronomy for Flight."

She looks around the council chamber and says, "Anything else?" Hearing no replies, she declares, "Good, this council meeting is dismissed!"

Ritz leaves and carrys her orders out immediately: The technology of Flight is given to Squall to help his fight against Galbadia and AVALANCHE, and President Rufus Shinra of the Shinra Corporation is only too happy to trade his exclusive knowledge of Astronomy for Flight.

When Cid returns to his Workshop in Tower of Worus, he immediately orders the town to change its construction project to an Airport and begins researching Banking methods. Lix finishes construction of the town Library and begins building a Harbor. Surgate Castle's Myrrh Tree reaches full maturity this year and they also begin building a Harbor.

In the far North, the elite Velociraptor party wipes out yet another Fiend den.

Later in the year, more Garden Troops are spotted moving through our territory towards AVALANCHE and Galbadia. Sorceress Edea, sensing Galbadia's impending doom, wisely decides to end their war with Esthar to concentrate on defending against Garden's sudden offensive.

Commander Cloud Strife of AVALANCHE also sends an envoy to renegotiate the Medicinal Herbs for Incense trade deal, but when he'll only renew it if we give him Astronomy, we decide to let the trade agreement end... We'll just find someone else to trade luxuries with, and Garden happens to have some extra Elephants to trade....

An AVALANCHE Goblin Skirmisher party defeats an Esthar Warrior party outside the Esthari town of Great Salt Lake.

In 1627 PA, Galbadia Garden finishes construction of the city library, and Governor Takayama orders construction of an Airport to commence. The Galley that departed from Lonka is sent back to be upgraded into a Galleassi.

Tower of Worus finishes building the Tycoon Kingdom's first ever Airport and begins building Bugenhagen's Observatory (Bugenhagen's Observatory = Copernicus' Observatory). Princess Sarisa, the Domestic Minister, allocates funding to hurry construction of the Harbor in Surgate Castle and a Library in Crescent.

Later in the year, an Estar Gladiator party wipes out the AVALANCHE Goblin Skirmisher party that killed the Warriors earlier, and Garden's troops are in position to attack the AVALANCHE city of North Corel.

Lord Mi'ihen's Crusaders in Tycoon Castle finishes training another band of Crusaders in 1630 PA, while Fisherman's Horizon finishes construction of its University and begins training a Bombard battery. Crescent finishes construction of its Library and begins building a Mage Tower. Pirate's Cave's Myrrh Tree has reached maturity, so the town begins building a Library. Surgate Castle completes construction of its Harbor and begins building a Library.

Princess Sarisa allocates funding to hurry construction of the Library in Lix and the Rubber Plantation in Shoat's Forest.

In West Galbadia, Nectar finishes construction of its Barracks and begins building a Library. Governor Takayama allocates funds to hire more laborers to hurry construction of the Airport in Galbadia Garden.

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Ritz Malheur trades Incesne, Rubber and Chocobos to Esthar for some of their Sake

Later on, a Garden Velociraptor party launches their first assault on the AVALANCHE town of North Corel, successfully wiping out an AVALANCHE unit defending the city, after which they slaughter a Goblin Skirmisher party sent to finish them off!

Galbadia Garden's Rubber Plantation produces a Treasure shipment in 1633, at the same time that the city Airport is finished. A Tarantula party grabs the Treasure shipment and catches an Airlift to Tower of Worus, which will enable them to get the Treasure shipment to Tycoon Castle much quicker than the overland route along the Silk Road. Governor Takayama then has the citizens of Galbadia Garden begin building the Airship Factory, which will cement Galbadia Garden's role as a strategic military command post in the region. The Munitions Plant in Lonka also produces a Treasure shipment, but that one is taken overland via the Silk Road.

In the Capitol region, Tule finishes building its Mage Tower and begins training a Ranger party. The Rubber Plantation in Shoat's Forest comes on line, so they begin building a Shrine to celebrate. Lix finises construction of its Library and begins building a Mage Tower. Fisherman's Horizon finishes training a Bombard battery and starts building a Granary.

One of our Minotaurs in the North discovers yet another Fiend den not far from Crescent.

Garden also continues to move troops towards Galbadia and AVALANCHE. Their Velociraptor party that attacked North Corel earlier attempts another assault on the town, but is forced to retreat.

1636 PA is another good year for the Kingdom of Tycoon:

Science Adviser Cid completes his research on Banking methods and starts research into "We've Got Mercs." (We've Got Mercs is a technology available only to Neutral civs that allows construction of a Mercenaries' Stronghold SW that produces a Mercenary Company every 15 turns. Mercenary Companies are a special "army" unit that is, in fact, a regular unit that is set up to behave like a full army; It has 27 attack, 25 defense, 2 movement, +5 HP, blitz, ZoC and can "loot" Treasures from defeated enemies).

Another Minotaur emerges from the Tomb of the Unknown King in Tycoon Castle, which also completes construction of the Five Ministries:

Queen Reina has the citizens begin building an Alchemist's Shop, and she hears soon afterwards that the Shinra Corporation has switched their construction project to Bugenhagen's Observatory. The Tarantula party from Galbadia Garden brings the Treasure shipment into the capitol and returns to Tower of Worus to catch the next military airlift back to Galbadia Garden. The Incense Manufactory in Carwen produces a Treasure shipment, which is also hauled into the capitol soon after. That is followed by the arrival of Lonka's Treasure shipment.

The influence of Pirate's Cave expands again, which along with our observers to the west of the town, gives us a full view of the entire Southern coast near the capitol, meaning that area should also be fairly secure from any Fiend incursions as well, leaving the untamed North as one of the last refuges for the gnarly monsters.

Princess Sarisa shells out money to hurry construction of Libraries in Surgate Castle and Pirate's Cave, while Governor Takayama does the same for Nectar.

In the far North, one of our veteran Minotaurs kills a band of Trolls in the newly discovered Fiend den, and our elite Velociraptors move in to assist.

Later in the year, a Galbadian Gladiator party sneaking through our territory ambushes and kills a Garden Velociraptor party near Galbadia Garden, but another Garden Velociraptor party wipes them out. Governor Takayama really wishes he had some Hidden Nationality units right about now....

Queen Reina also recieves word via Ritz Malheur's "diplomatic" channels that Garden and AVALANCHE have signed a peace treaty.

So it is with the wars settling down and the Kingdom of Tycoon's Golden Age entering full swing that this part of their story comes to a close.

Sorry about not working on this story as I should have, but things have been super crazy up until recently... anyways, back to the story.;)

The Golden Age of Tycoon
Part II: "I've got a Flying Machine!"

In the year 1639 PA, and the Tycoon Province of West Galbadia is humming with activity. Deling City finishes construction on its Mage Tower, and Governor Hikaro Takayama orders the city barracks to begin training a Bombard battery. Nectar also completes its Library, and starts construction of a Mage Tower, as per the governor's instructions. The Weaver's Shop in Lonka also produces a treasure shipment, which is then airlifted to Carwen, drastically reducing the time required to ferry treasure shipments between West Galbadia and the capitol.

Meanwhile, Tycoon Castle establishes an Alchemist's Shop and begins construction of a University, adding to the city's reputation as one of the most culturally sophisticated places on the planet. Fisherman's Horizon finishes construction of the city Granary, at which point the commander of the local barracks begins training a Tarantula party. Carwen finishes construction of its University and begins training a Velociraptor party, while Kanark completes construction of its Mage Tower and begins building an Aqueduct to bring fresh water to its ever-growing population.

That same year, Pirate's Cave and Surgate Castle finishe building their Libraries and begin building Mage Towers.... Soon Queen Reina and Governor Takayama's goal of having Mage Towers in every city will be realized. The brand-new town of Shoat's Forest finishes building its Shrine and starts building a Temple. Tule finishes training a Ranger party and begins building a Church.

In the Frozen North, our elite Velociraptor party wipes out yet another fiend den.

Later in the year, a party of Garden Sell Swords defeats an unidentified Galbadian unit near Heath, and more Garden military units are moving through West Galbadia towards the remaining Galbadian territory, capturing two Galbadian Worker parties outside Centra along the way.

The year ends with a group of Shinra Chocobo Riders being spotted outside the Garden town of Winhill in East Galbadia.

In 1642 PA, Deling City's newest Bombard battery is ready for battle, so the townsfolk start building a Church.

Back at the capitol, the Treasure shipment from Lonka arrives, adding another 300 Gil to the treasury. The 5th Dwarf Engineer Squad finishes the road to the second Saltpeter source Southwest of Tycoon Castle and moves into position to build a city next to the deposit.

Sometime later, a Garden Velociraptor party annihilates a Galbadian Dark Knight party outside Centra, with still more Garden troops heading towards what's left of Galbadia.

In the year 1645 PA, Governor Hikaro Takayama is busy filling out the inevitable mountain of government paperwork in his office in Galbadia Garden's Hidden Palace when the door creaks open. The governor looks up and sees his personal assistant standing in the door and says, "What do you want, Igor?"

"Thorry to disthturb you, Marthter, but you thaid you wanted to know when the Airthhip Factory wath completed," Igor replied.

A huge grin spreads accross the governor's face and he says, "Yes, yes I did! ...And I just happen to be wanting an excuse to get away from all this blasted paperwork, too!" He stands up, grabs his hat and coat and says, "Right, Igor, lets go have a look, shall we?"

"Exthellent idea, Marthter," Igor replies and they both stroll out of the palace to the waiting Chocobo carriage. A few quick words to the driver, and the carriage whisks them down over to the brand new Airship factory:

"Impressive isn't it, Igor?" Governor Takayama says after gazing at the large, brick and steel structure with smoke billowing out of its chimneys.

"Yeth, Marthter," Igor replies, "Whath even MORE imprethhive ith the fact that we'll thoon have combat Airthhipth coming out of it." (Any number of nations suffering from a drought would have paid good money for Igor to say "Airships")

"Aye, right you are, Igor, and I want us to be on the first flight out on one of them too!" Governor Takayama remarks before heading back to the Hidden Palace and ordering the city's construction crews to begin building a Mage Tower. In addition to that good news, Galbadia Garden's Cocoa Plantation produces a Treasure shipment! Lonka also finishes construction of the first University in West Galbadia (also probably the only one on the entire Galbadian Peninsula as well), and Governor Takayama has them start training a Bangaa Gladiator party.

In the Iron Hills Province (as the area stretching from Kanark and Shoat's Forest to the Northern borders has come to be known), Jacole (the semi-official capitol) finishes building its Mage Tower and starts constructing a Church. Kanark finishes its Aqueduct and also starts building a Church.

In the Tycoon Province (as the area surrounding Tycoon Castle and extending South and West from Tule and Carwen is known), the Mage Tower in Fisherman's Horizon finishes training a Mage party, which is then sent to join Bartz Klauser's Army. In addition, the Rubber Plantation in Fisherman's Horizon produces a Treasure Shipment, which is quickly sent to Tycoon Castle. Carwen finishes training a Velociraptor party and starts building a bank, while Lord Mi'ihen's Crusaders in Tycoon Castle finishes training another Crusader party.

To the Southwest of Tycoon Castle, the 5th Dwarf Engineer Squad founds the town of Mua in the Frozen Tundra next to the Saltpeter deposit.

The Dwarves begin building a Munitions Plant as soon as they've finished building houses for themselves.

Later in the year, Governor Takayama's "observers" in West Galbadia report that an entire party of Garden Velociraptors got slaughtered in an assault on Wilburn Hill and fast-moving Shinra troops, mostly Chocobo Riders, are moving into our territory! Queen Reina sends a message to Governor Takayama telling him to take any necessary measure to guard vital resources in the province, but otherwise to avoid confrontation with the Shinra soldiers unless they attack first.

In the Far North, Garden founds Bika near Northermost tip of the continent…. Soon Fiend invasions from that area will be a thing of the past!

And so it is with Tycoon's Golden Age cruising along that this installment of the story comes to an end.

Chapter 18: The Golden Age of Tycoon
Part III: Eve of Conflict​

The year is 1648 PA and the Great Golden Age of Tycoon continues relatively uneventfully. The Queen gathers her advisers together in the council chambers to discuss the usual business of running the Kingdom. Science Adviser Cid, as usual, makes the first announcement:

"We've got Mercs!" he says, "Now we can build a Mercenaries' Stronghold so we can hire Mercenary Companies." (Mercenary Companies are powerful Army-like units that have 27 attack, 25 defense, 2 movement, Zone of Control, +5 HP, Blitz and can "loot" defeated enemy units to produce Treasures. They are auto-produced every 15 turns by the "Mercenaries' Stronghold" SW and can be airlifted and loaded into transports, but cannot be loaded into armies, and are only available to NEUTRAL civs... GOOD Civs get "Hero Parties" that have the same stats, but 25 Attack and 27 Def, and are auto-produced every 15 turns by the "Adventurers' Guild Hall" SW, while the EVIL civs get "Barbarian Hordes" which have 25 attack, 25 defense and 3 movement, but are otherwise the same as the other two and are produced every 15 turns by "The Great Horde" SW ).

"Excellent news, Cid! Have your crew start researching Economics," Queen Reina replies, "Sarisa, is the University in this city finished yet?"

"Yes, sister dear," Domestic Adviser Sarisa replies, "I'm going to hazard a guess that you want me to have the construction crews start work on the Mercenaries' Stronghold?"

"Correct," Reina says, "See to it as soon as possible. Any other news for me, oh sister of mine?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, the mayor of Tower of Worus has sent me correspondence informing me that the 6th Dwarf Engineer Squad has completed training at the Dwarf Engineer's Guild and is ready for work. Furthermore, they've completed work on Bugenhagen's Observatory!"

"Looks like we managed to beat the Shinra to it after all, Reina! I had the Mayor start building a Bank... We're running a huge budget surplus right now, but I don't foresee this current economic boom lasting forever, so increasing our income would probably be a good idea."

"Good plan," Queen Reina acknowledges, "Any other major items of concern that I need to be aware of?"

"Yes, your Highness," General Sephiroth says, "The last of the Villager parties we sent to help our good ally, Squall, develop his sadly lacking infrastructure has finished extending the road linking all the Northern Garden cities together to the Shinra border and is on their way home. We still have two Villager parties in what's supposed to be Garden territory in East Galbadia, but much of that area is outside the effective influence of Winhill or Lenown Plains, and they will be done connecting those two cites soon as well."

"Well, that aught to make Squall very happy!" Reina grinns, "Keep up the good work, General... (psst, Sarisa, don't you think Commander Squall's cute?!)"

Sarisa leans over and whispers back, "(Yeah! He's a lot nicer than that cold Mr. Rufus Shinra or that whiny, Emo Cloud... I'd say that President Laguna is hotter, but he's back-stabbed us one too many times for that!)"

Reina whispers back, "(Sarisa, I can't believe you! Laguna's old enough to be Squall's FATHER... I mean....!)"

At this point, Governor Hikaro Takayama interrupts the sisters' whispered conversation by clearing his throat.

"Sorry about that, Governor," Reina blushes slightly, "What tidings from West Galbadia?"

"Your highness, I hate to be the bearer of troublesome news, but even more Shinra troops are moving into West Galbadia," the Governor states, "I've moved a Berserker party to guard the Cocoa grove in the hills East of Galbadia Garden, and they've reported that among the Shinra forces moving into the area is a Yevonite MAESTER party! I've taken the precaution of moving ALL the Bombard cannon batteries in West Galbadia into Galbadia Garden to help counter what I believe to be an IMMINENT Shinra attack."

The Queen's jaw drops at the news, but before she can reply, Science Adviser Cid starts swearing up a blue streak and Cultural Adviser Yuna gasps, "No! That CAN'T be! How did the Church of Yevon manage to get established HERE!?!"

"Care to explain yourselves?" Queen Reina asks, turning towards the source of the recent outburst.

"One thousand years ago on Spira, our homeworld, there was a great war between two powerful nations: Bevelle and Zanarkand," Yuna replies, "Bevelle, which had the technological edge was on the verge of defeating the Summoners of Zanarkand. Before they could deliver the final blow to Zanarkand itself, Yu Yevon, the leader of Zanarkand transformed the citizens of the city into Fayth--Living Statues--and used his power to summon a HORRIBLE monster known as Sin. His daughter, Yunalesca, whom I was named after, brought Yevon's Teachings to Bevelle and showed them how to temporarily 'defeat' Sin using a horrible technique known as the Final Summoning that would sacrifice the summoner and one of the summoner's closest guardins. This would buy about ten years of peace until Yu Yevon's spirit would summon forth a new Sin and the cycle would start all over again."

Yuna pauses to blink back the tears welling up in her eyes, "That's how Cid and I ended up here... We were on a quest to defeat Sin, and the Church of Yevon, once and for all, and we'd succeded in completely destroying Yu Yevon and Sin, or so we thought... Unfortunately it looks like the whole spiral of death will start again in this new world."

"I... See," Queen Reina replies, "Well, I'll have Ritz's 'Special Diplomatic Corps' keep an eye on those Yevonites, then.... If any of them try to set up shop in our territory, I want them to know that if ANY of them so much as transforms a CAT into one of their 'Fayth', then I'll have that priest's head on my castle wall! Thanks for the warning Governor, and continue to take defensive precautions, but do NOT provoke an attack... It may be that the Shinra are merely seeking to grab what's left of Galbadia before Garden can finish them off, but I'm inclined to believe that you're right in thinking that their target is Galbadia Garden... Maybe they've got wind of your Airship Factory and want it off-line, or maybe they just want the Hot Springs and Cocoa Plantation... Who knows, just don't let them take the city and don't get your fool self killed!"

"Yes, your majesty," Hikaro Replies, nodding to the Queen before turning to comfort Yuna, "Lady Yuna, I can see that you're gravely concerned about the threat that the so-called 'church' of Yevon poses and that they will ressurrect Sin... Let me tell you that WE have a far greater Power on our side... I know you haven't been to any of the Church services since I established the first one here in Tycoon Castle, but today is of special significance for believers of the True God: Two thousand-odd years ago, the Lord God came to the earth in the form of a man named Jesus of Nazareth to teach us the right way to live, and for all his wisdom and compassion, some jealous, greedy power-mongers tried Him in a mockery of justice and had Him crucified. He died for all our sin, and on this very day rose from the grave, triumphant over Death and Sin. He visited His early followers for a short time, then ascended into Heaven.

Shortly after He returned to His Heavenly Throne, He released the Holy Spirit to his followers as a guide, comforter, source of Holy Gifts."

"Holy Spirit?" Yuna asks, "Holy Gifts? I don't understand what that has to do with this..."

"Lady Yuna, the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God Himself.... Those who accept the sacrifice of Jesus for our sins and welcome Him into our hearts are capable of receiving the power of the Holy Spirit... A portion of God's power, but not for our gain and glory, but HIS glory and to help vanquish evil in this world.... Sin might be a monster, metaphorically or literally speaking, but the Lord has already defeated sin and death and given His followers power over sin through His Word and the Holy Spirit. Lord willing, this false church will not proser... Even now, the true churches in our kingdom have been sending missionaries into Shinra to preach the Good News, and many have become martyrs, but even still, a number of underground CHRISTIAN churches have become established, and hopefully soon the Yevonites will turn from their wicked ways. If you want to learn more, I suggest you attend the Easter Service at the Tycoon Castle Church... I'll be attending service in Galbadia Garden... They are insistent that I do the Scripture reading for some reason..."

"Your proposal sounds interesting, Governor," Queen Reina replies, "I hope you're right about this and wrong about your prediction concerning Shinra's intentions, but so be it! Anything else that needs taken care of today?"

When noone else replies, she says, "Excellent, this meeting of the Small Council is closed, have a nice day, everyone!"

In the Iron Hills Province, the Spice Factory in Istory produces another Treasure shipment, which a Minotaur picks up to haul back to Tycoon Castle. The mayor of Shoat's Forest shells out some dough to hurry construction of the town's Temple, while Lix and Surgate Castle request about 1200 Gil from the Royal Treasury to hurry their Mage Towers. Considering the likelihood that we'll be back at war soon, De Nam, the Selkie Exchequer of the Treasury immediately approves the funding.

In the Tycoon Province, the latest Treasure shipment from Galbadia Garden arrives in Tycoon Castle, providing a much-needed treasury boost. Tule completes construction of its Church and begins building a Harbor... Soon the Wutai Sea and the Istory Canal will be a site of booming trade for the Kingdom of Tycoon... Especially since the canal to Tule Lake will allow our naval vessels to escape into the lake if threatened by massive amounts of enemy vessels or a bad storm. Further South, the Dwarves in Mua get a grant to hurry construction of the Munitions Plant, again, due to the liklihood that war with a fairly powerful and technologically advanced foe will break out soon.

In the Far North, our units continue their patrols for Fiends, with a Minotaur killing a pack of Bandersnatches outside the Garden town of Shenand Hill.

Later in the year, more Garden troops are seen moving into Galbadia... You'd think they'd get tired of their endless war by now.......

In the Year 1651 PA, Deling City finishes construction of its Church and begins training a Tarantula party in anticipation of a highly likely renewal of hostilities in the area... The Galbadian Peninsula has become one of the most war-torn pieces of terrain on the planet, and the positioning of the large number of Shinra Chocobo Rider parties would indicate that fresh blood will be spilled on this ground before too long. Governor Takayama, not liking the positioning of the Shinra troops decides to send a Bangaa Gladiator party to reinforce the Berserkers guarding the Cocoa Grove outside Galbadia Garden, and the Tarantula party that delivered the last Treasure shipment back to Tycoon Castle is airlifted from Tower of Worus into Galbadia Garden. Lonka finishes training a Bangaa Gladiator Party (which is sent to Galbadia Garden to help with the defenses) and begins training a Ranger party.

In the Iron Hills Province, Istory finishes its University and begins building a Galleassi in the Harbor's dry dock. Lix and Surgate Castle both finish building their Mage Towers and begin training Bangaa Gladiator parties. The influence of Shoat's Forest expands when it completes construction of its Temple and the Mayor commissions an Alchemist's Shop to be built, while the Iron Foundry in Jacole (the semi-official capitol of the province) produces another Treasure shipment.

In the Tycoon Province, another Minotaur emerges from the Tomb of the Unknown King, and dwarves in Istory finish construction of their Munitions Plant and begin building a Shrine.

Later in the year, President Laguna Loire of Esthar trades territory maps with us, revealing the severe extent to which their entire Northern territory has been pillaged by AVALANCHE troops during the endless war between them. Foreign Minister Ritz Malheur also recieves word that AVALANCHE and Shinra have signed a military alliance against Esthar... Apparently that's what all that troop buildup around our West Galbadian territory was....

...Or so we thought for a brief instant.

The sneak attack came suddenly at dawn, with four Shinra Chocobo Rider parties charging out of the early morning mist towards the apparently sleeping town of Galbadia Garden. The Chocobo Riders get within 300 yards of the outskirts of town when several Bombard batteries open up, sending iron balls and stones hurling through the cavalry formations, wounding or killing several riders, while the rest charge relentlessly on.

As the Bombard crews struggle to reload their cumbersome pieces, the Shinra Chocobo Riders close another 150 yards at which point a party of fast-moving Bangaa Gladiators that had sallied out of the city as soon as the first shots went off engages the first of the Chocobo Rider parties. After a cacophony of spears shattering against shields, trampling hooves, curses, grunts and shrieks of dying bangaa, chocobos and men, the Bangaa emerge victorious, with every last Shinra Chocobo Rider lying dead in the dust. Before the second group of Chocobo Riders can run down the retreating Bangaa Gladiators, a Ranger party fortified in some outlying houses unleashes a storm of arrows into the charging Chocobos, wiping out almost three-fourths of the unit, which retreats as fast as it can.

Before the third group can react to the threat posed by the Rangers, one of our Tarantula parties charges out of the gate and sucks both the chocobos and their riders dry, while the fourth group dies under a hail of arrows while trying to close in on the Rangers that did them in. A fifth Shinra Chocobo Rider party pillages the road and collapses the mine in the hills Northeast of Galbadia Garden, and the last Chocobo Rider party in position to attack tries to capture our last two Villager parties improving terrain in Garden's East Galbadia territory, but the veteran Crusaders guarding them make short work of the Shinra Chocobo Riders.

As soon as the attack began, Governor Takayama quickly wrote a dispatch to Queen Reina, sealed it and rushed it to the Galbadia Garden Airport, where one of the Cargo Airship pilots took it and flew to Tower of Worus with all the haste he could muster. From there, the dispatch was given to a Royal Courier with a fast chocobo who rode from there to Tycoon Castle. When Queen Reina read the dispatch, she said, "So be it!" and summoned General Sephiroth and all the other advisers in the capitol city. The Kingdom of Tycoon was once again at war.

If you capture the city with the Adventurer's Guild Hall or the Great Horse,do you get the benefits they provide?

If you capture the city with the Adventurer's Guild Hall or the Great Horse,do you get the benefits they provide?

No, they're SMALL Wonders, which means that when you capture the city, they're automatically destroyed (but the civ that built them can re-build them elsewhere).....

Basically you can think of Small Wonders as Buildings that you can only have one of at a time... I use a lot of them in the Final Fantasy mod to limit the numbers of certain units (Airships, Steam Airships, Makou Cannons, etc) to keep the AI (or the Human player, for that matter) from spamming them about.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the Great Horde, Mercenaries' Stronghold and Adventurers' Guild Hall also replace the Pentagon for their respective alignments in this mod. (They increase army capacity by +1)

Chapter 19: Tycoon's Golden War With Shinra
Part I: The Counter Attack

The Year is 1645 PA, and the treacherous, but stupid, Shinra Corporation has just launched a massive, but failed, sneak-attack against the Tycoon city of Galbadia Garden. Governor Hikaro Takayama, after ordering the wounded troops that successfully repelled the Shinra sneak-attack to the rear, takes stock of the current tactical situation. He only has three parties of uninjured offensive units available, but there are only three Shinra Chocobo Rider parties (including the severely decimated one that was driven off by our Rangers) and a veteran Maester party within striking distance of Galbadia Garden.

He quickly gathers up his commanders and outlines the plan of attack: The Elite Bangaa Gladiators guarding the Cocoa grove are to attack the almost dead Shinra Chocobo Rider party, while the Berserker assisting in the defense will attack the Chocobo Riders that pillaged the improvements on the neighboring hills. Finally, the one veteran Crusader party in the city is to attack the Maester party camped out on the mountain directly North of Galbadia Garden.

So the commanders depart to carry out their orders: The Elite Bangaa Gladiators easily wipe out the severely diminished Shinra Chocobo Rider party, while the Berserkers make the Chocobo Riders who pillaged our terrain improvements pay for their folly in blood. In a fierce battle of gigantic freaking swords against dark magics (come to think of it, most Final Fantasy games feature battles of gigantic feaking swords against dark magics....:lol: ), the Shinra Maesters are cut down by the valiant Crusaders, dealing a blow against the vile "Church" of Yevon. Unfortunately, three-fourths of the Crusaders in the party are also wiped out during the battle. The Bombard batteries in Galbadia Garden are brought out and blast the remaining elite Shinra Chocobo Rider party, scoring several solid hits, and all Tycoon units then retreat back to Galbadia Garden to heal up and wait for reinforcements.

The last two Villager parties in Garden territory finish building the last section of road and retreat back to the pillaged hill outside Galbadia Garden, followed by their guarding Crusader party.

One things have quieted down a bit, Governor Takayama sends a message to Queen Reina, via airship, that the front is pretty much secure, for now, but reinforcements would be greatly appreciated. Queen Reina responds that a third Mage party has joined up with Bartz Klauser's Army, and they have been dispatched to the front... Hopefully the kingdom's bards and poets will be composing Epics to celebrate these Heroes... ;)

In the Tycoon Province, the Treasure shipments from Jacole and Istory arrive in Tycoon Castle, providing much needed Gil for the war effort. Fisherman's Horizon has just finished building its Arena and begins building an Airport (so troops can be airlifted to the front).

In the Iron Hills Province, Kanark finishes construction of its Church and begins training a Berserker party to help reinforce the Galbadian Front, while our Velociraptors and Minotaurs continue to patrol for Fiends in the Frozen North.

Later in the year, a party of Garden Sell Swords is killed by a Galbadian Warrior party, and more Galbadian troops are moving into our territory! If they want a war with us, we won't go easy on them this time: We'll take their last two cities on the Galbadian Peninsula, then finish them off by taking Monterosa! The wounded elite Shinra Chocobo Rider party begins an attempt to retreat, but they won't be able to get clear before our Army gets here!

In more peaceful news, AVALANCHE founds the town of Sleeping Forest between Niebelheim and 7th Heaven.

In 1657 PA, The Tycoon Province is buzzing with activity: Tower of Worus completes construction of a Bank and begins building a Cargo Airship... Soon we'll be able to drop troops deep into enemy territory. Meanwhile Tule finishes building its Harbor and immediately starts building a Galleassi. The Mage Tower in Carwen finishes training another Mage party, which departs for Tower of Worus and is airlifted from there to Galbadia Garden.

In the Iron Hills Province, Jacole finishes its Church and the newly appointed minister calls on the people to pray for victory in the current war. The town mayor then begins training a Tarantula party. Istory, meanwhile launches a Galleassi and starts building a Barracks. The Galleassi sails through the Istory Canal into the Wutai Sea to hunt down the remaining Ghost Ships prowling the Wutai Sea's waters.

In West Galbadia, Bartz Klauser's Army rolls in, and the three parties of veteran Mages assigned to the Army hurl fireballs into the ranks of retreating Shinra Chocobo Riders, leaving a smoldering crater where the Shinra troops once were. Domestic Minister Sarisa suggests that we should write a Heroic Epic commemorating the victory of our first Army, while Governor Takayama, with General Sephiroth's help, begins massing troops for an invasion of Shinra's Southern territories, with Bartz Klauser's Mage Army leading the attack..... :evil:

Elsewhere in West Galbadia, Lonka finishes training a Ranger party and begins building a Granary while the Villager dog-pile outside Galbadia Garden has almost finished repairing the damage done by the Shinra Chocobo riders during their initial attack.

Elsewhere that year, a Garden Velociraptor party kills a Galbadian Warrior party outside Lenown Plains and another captures a Galbadian Worker party near Centra... Way to go, Squall! A Galbadian Ranger party is spotted moving towards Nectar, and incredibly dumb move, if you ask me!

Meanwhile in the Wutai Sea, our veteran Galleassi spots several Ghost Ships bearing towards it... Good! Soon this sea will be free of the undead scourge forever!

In the year 1660 PA, Igor lurches into Governor Takayama's office in the Hidden Palace of Galbadia Garden with an important announcement:

Our first combat Airship has rolled off the assembly line in our Airship Factory and is ready for combat. (In the NE of the pic, you can see Bartz Klauser's Mage Army, along with the rest of the invasion force being mustered).

"Excellent, Igor," Governor Takayama replies, "Tell the Captain that I'll be coming aboard in fifteen minutes... I want the airship to be armed and ready to join the attack force within the hour!"

"But, MARTHTER!" Igor protests, "You can't go! It'th too DANGEROUTH!"

"Nonsense!" Hikaro shoots back, "We'll be mostly acting in a support/reconnaissance role anyways... And I meant what I said about wanting to be on board during its maiden voyage. Especially since I'd like to PERSONALLY exact some retribution on the scumbags who attacked my city!"

...And so Governor Takayama boards the Airship, which flies out to join the troop buildup on the Garden border. From there, the Airship makes a quick recon flight over the area between Mount Niebel and Winhill. The only Shinra Troops spotted in the area are a Warrior party camped outside Winhill, although a Garden Stack of Doomtm is headed towards the Galbaidan outpost of Monterosa.

Deling City finishes training a Tarantula party, and starts building a University. The newly-trained Tarantula party joins the invasion force, which will move out for Mount Niebel next year.

In the Tycoon Province, Carwen completes construction of its Bank and begins training a Ranger party, while Tule launches a Galleassi and starts building a Marketplace. The two Galleassis in the Wutai sea each sink a Ghost Ship, leaving only the one damaged years ago by the Bombard demonstration still afloat. Lord Mi'ihen's Crusaders in Tycoon Castle trains another band of Crusaders, who are sent to secure a potential city site between Lonka and Garden's territory, while Domestic Minister Sarisa shells out money to hurry construction of Mage Towers in Crescent, Pirate's Cave and Nectar as well as an Alchemist's Shop in Shoat's Forest.

In the Iron Hills Province, Kanark finishes training a Berserker party and starts building a Bank.

Later in the year, Governor Takayama, aboard the combat Airship spots Shinra Battle Wagons outside Mount Niebel! Furthermore, he can see the newly-built smokestacks for coal-fueled furnaces sticking up out of the city... The evil Shinra have entered the Age of Steam! No wonder they though they could win a war against us! (Battle Wagons are the first "Tank" unit available in the FF mod, and are available with Metallurgy. They require Iron and Saltpeter, and have 8 attack, 8 offensive bombardment, 5 defense, and two movement, but are "wheeled," meaning they can't enter mountain, ancient forest or swamp tiles that don't have a road).

Shinra also founds the town of Mideel South of the Galbadian town of Monterosa... Oh, well, one more town for us to conquer/pillage....

The massive force of Garden troops continues on its way to attack Monterosa... Galbadia could be losing that town soon!

Closer to the Capitol, the last Ghost Ship on the Wutai Sea attacks one of our veteran Galleassis and is sunk. The Fiend threat in the Wutai Sea is now eliminated and the veteran Galleassi is promoted to elite status for its role in ridding the area of Fiends once and for all.

In 1663 PA, Fisherman's Horizon finishes construction on its Airport and begins building a Cargo Airship (air transport unit). The Tower of Worus finishes building its Cargo Airship and begins training a Velociraptor party. The Cargo Airship is sent to Galbadia Garden for reconnaissance purposes. The Rubber Plantation in Tycoon Castle produces a Treasure shipment, which is cashed in for some much needed War Funds, while the dwarven town of Mua finishes building its Shrine and begins construction of a Temple. Pirate's Cave finishes its Mage Tower in record time and starts building a Barracks.

In the Iron Hills Province, Crescent finishes its Mage Tower and begins building a Barracks... We want all semi-productive towns to have Barracks so they can start pumping out veteran troops for the war effort! Meanwhile, Shoat's Forest finishes its Alchemist's Shop and starts building a Town Hall and Lix finishes training a Bangaa Gladiator and starts building a Marketplace.

In West Galbadia, Nectar finishes construction of its Mage Tower and begins building a Church... Who knows, maybe we can convert the Galbadian heathens to our side without going to war with them.....

Meanwhile our own Stack of Doomtm heads out for Mount Niebel along one of the Garden roads that, ironically enough, we built. The Airship captain informs Governor Takayama that one of the Shinra Battle Wagon groups is within easy striking distance, so the Governor grants his permission to bomb the Shinra armored column. The Airship swiftly comes about and slings several 200lb bombs at the lead elements of the Battle Wagon column, destroying or disabling several of the vehicles before wheeling back to the relative safety of our army encampment.

Later in the Year, Foreign Minister Ritz Malheur informs Queen Reina that Shinra and Galbadia have signed a Trade Embargo against us... Oh, well, if the Galbadians want to commit suicide, then let them!

Meanwhile, the Battle Wagon column that was blasted by our Airship decides they don't want any more of that and beats a hasty retreat towards Mount Niebel.

In the year 1666 PA, Cid announces that we have mastered the secrets of Economics, and starts researching Blitzball. (Blitzball replaces Free Artistry and allows construction of Blitzball Stadiums in coastal cities with access to Rubber, as well as the Zanarkand Dome GW, which essentially replaces Shakespear's Theater, but has the same prereqs as a standard Blitzball Stadium. The tech also allows construction of Blitzers (as blitzball players are called), which are fast, 6 att, 6 def 2 movement explorer type units... They are the only BUILDABLE unit that can move as fast as a combat Airship type unit, making them good for fast raids deep in enemy territory.)

In the meantime, Tycoon Castle finishes a project that will greatly aid the war effort:

The Mercenaries' Stronghold in Tycoon Castle is now complete, and General Sephiroth begins actively recruiting Mercenaries for our cause. Now our regular armies can have FOUR units attached to them, so one of the Mages in our invasion force is immediately assigned to Bartz Klauser's Army. Lady Yuna, the Cultural Advisor then prevails upon the Queen to commission the kingdom's greatest poet, Edward the Spoony Bard to begin work on a Heroic Epic detailing the exploits of Sir Bartz, the Brave. On top of that good news, what will be our last Minotaur emerges from the Tomb of the Tomb of the Unknown King in Tycoon Castle.

Elsewhere in the Tycoon Province, Carwen's Influence expands once more and the city's Incense Manufactory produces a Treasure shipment at the same time the garrison commander finishes training another Ranger party and starts training some Chocobo Knignts. and the direct highway from Istory to Tycoon Castle is finally complete, greatly reducing travel times between the two cities.

In the Iron Hills province, Istory's Barracks is finished and the citizens start building a Bank, while Surgate Castle also finishes construction of its Barracks and begins building a Church.

In West Galbadia, Galbadia Garden finally completes its Mage Tower and starts building a Barracks. Lonka finishes construction of its Granary and starts training a Bombard battery, and the workers outside Galbadia Garden finish repairing the damage from the Shinra Cavalry raid.

In the meantime, our massive invasion forces reach the outskirts of Mount Niebel. The Airship, under Governor Takayama's command, once again bombs the retreating Battle Wagon column, damaging it further, before it can reach the safety of the city. (Airships have lethal bombardment, but I didn't get that lucky ;)) An observer on the bridge notices that Mount Niebel is defended by GUNNERS! (Gunners have almost identical stats to normal game Infantry... I.e. 6 att, 10 def, 1 move and 8 defensive bombardment) ...Apparently Rufus' scientifically minded faction managed to stumble across the secrets of Nationalism when they reached the Age of Steam. Hopefully we can demand that tech from them when we are done kicking the crap out of them.

Recon patrols by the Cargo Airship in Galbadia Garden reveals that the only Shinra troops currently heading towards our territory are a Ranger party and a Warrior party.

Later that year, Esthar and Garden form a military alliance against Galbadia, so it's highly unlikely Edea will be stupid enough to attack us when they are already at war with two other relatively powerful factions....

Shinra Troop movements at the end of the year reveal that their Ranger party is moving into position to pillage our Gem mines outside Lenown Plains, and a Battle Wagon column is foolish enough to leave Mount Niebel... You're going to need all the troops you can get to have any chance of holding that city against what we'll be throwing at it, Rufus!

And so it is with our troops poised to take the war to the Shinra that this part of the story ends.

Before I continue this story, I've decided to post a pic of the Middle Ages tech tree, so you have an idea of how I've been progressing in research and how much I have left... I'll try to post tech tree screen shots whenever I enter a new era from now on. ;)

Spoiler :

Cid's quote made LOL.

Well, I did try to edit the script.txt so that the adviser's quotes were similar to what the characters they were based on would say....

As a matter of fact, on the rare occasion you'd get the "Compared to you, most people have the IQ of a carrot," Cid would say this:

Chapter 19: Tycoons Golden War With Shinra
Part II: Death From Above​

Note: From here on out, I've decided to stop listing the builds of every freaking town... It has made the story too slow and cumbersome, IMO. I'll still list important events and wonder constructions, but that's it.

The year 1669 dawns with a massive Tycoon army camped outside the Shinra city of Mount Niebel preparing to attack. Chief Adviser Hikaro Takayama, Governor of West Galbadia and Field Marshall in the Royal Tycoon Army has taken personal command of the preparations and is observing the preparations from the vantage point offered by his command Airship. The Airship's captain steps up next to him and says, "Sir, all units report that they are in position and ready to attack!"

Hikaro nods and replies, "Excellent work, Captain, you may fire when ready."

The Captain salutes before turning to his bridge crew and shouting orders, and the Airship begins to move forward and Governor Takayama thinks to himself, Well, Rufus, you asked for this by sneak-attacking MY city... Let me show you how a PROPER city assault is done!

Several hundred feet below, the artillery commander sees the signal flag flying from the Airship's hull points at it and shouts, "All right lads! There's the signal! Open fire!" The Bombard crews spring into action, touching off their pieces in rapid, precise succession, much like a master pianist running an arpeggio across the keys of a concert grand piano. Flame and smoke blossom across the siege line, hurling hot iron orbs of death into the city. The artillery spotters report that two Gunner parties have been hit pretty hard when the Airship swings into action. Flying above the city defenses at over 1000 feet, the bombardier lines up an ill-fated Battle Wagon division in his sights and he pulls the lever to release the trap door for one of the 200 pound bomb racks, spilling its deadly contents onto them. The bombs form a marching line of explosions as they impact, disabling several of the Battle wagons as the Airship circles back around and comes in on a low pass.

The Shinra Battle Wagon commanders have their crews begin firing at the low flying Airship as fast as they can reload, but they only inflict minor damage to it. When the Airship gets within 100 yards, two ports open up on the forward lower hull and Alexandrian Fire geysers out, burning the remaining Battle Wagons and their crews to a crisp.

Following the wake of the artillery barrage and the Airship's decisive attack are a veteran Mage party and Bartz Klauser's Mage Army hurl into battle. The three remaining Gunners parties and the Battle Wagon division awaiting repairs from earlier bombings by the Airship are annihilated in a storm of magical fire, ice and lightning.

General Bartz Klauser personally captures four Shinra Worker parties and 4 Gil worth of gold. Governor Takayama sends the prisoners back towards Tycoon territory and has the citizens plant a Myrrh Tree... When the Myrrh Tree is mature, and all unit have been rested and re-fitted, the Army will move out and turn control of the city over to Commander Squall Leonhart of Garden.

Elsewhere in the kingdom, a Shinra Ranger party has moved into our territory in an attempt to pillage our Gem deposits in West Galbadia. An elite Bangaa Gladiator party and Bombard battery from from Galbadia Garden rush out of the city and catches the rangers off-guard. After a successful bombardment by the Bombards, the Bangaa quickly mop up what's left of the Rangers.

Galbadia Garden begins building Rin's Travel Agency, which will take over management of the kingdom's commercial infrastructure, thus reducing our building maintenance costs. (Rin's Travel Agency = Smith's Trading Co.) The Mage Towers in Lonka and Istory both graduate new Mage parties, who are rushed to Galbadia Garden to help defend the area against Shinra counter-attacks.

Queen Reina then calls up Commander Squall and trades Economics to him for Metallurgy, which although it renders the Tomb of the Unknown King obsolete, allows us to build our very own Battle wagons. Several cities switch training immediately so we can rush some of our own Battle Wagons off to war. We also agree to send shipments of Saltpeter to Squall so he can build Battle Wagons and Bombards to help his war against Galbadia.

Later in the year, Cargo Airships scouting over the Monterosa area watch a massive Garden assault get repelled, shortly after which we receive word that Garden and Galbadia have signed a peace treaty... Looks like Galbadia may live to see another day, after all. Almost immediately after that, we also get word from some wandering rogues that the SeeDs (as citizens of Garden are known) have started building Rin's Travel Agency in Balamb... Looks like we have a wonder race starting, here!

A few weeks after the peace treaty with Garden has been signed, Galbadian troops begin moving into our territory. Considering that they're at war with Esthar, that's their likely destination, so we decide to let them pass through as long as they don't try anything funny...

Finally, the year ends with Shinra troops hightailing it back towards Mount Niebel in the vain hope that they can somehow dislodge us from there... yeah, right! Dream on, guys!

In the year 1672 PA, the Palace in Tycoon Castle has organized another Settler party, which is sent to grab the last remaining good city spot between the West Galbadian Town of Lonka and the Garden town of Trabia. This will give us a solid border with Garden from Galbadia Garden/Trabia all the way to Crescent/Hasberry Plains.

The Veteran Bangaa Gladiator party escorting the captured Shinra Workers back to Galbadia Garden spots two Shinra Battle Wagon divisions, so they send for reinforcements. A Cargo Airship in Galbadia Garden loads up another Bangaa Gladiator party and a Tarantula party and airdrops them in the LZ set up by the prisoner escorts.

Foreign Adviser Ritz Malheur negotiates a Right of Passage agreement with President Laguna Loire of Esthar so that his troops can use our road network to strike back at Galbadia.

More troops arrive in Galbadia Garden, and the last Minotaur to leave the Tomb of the Unknown King is sent to deal with a Shinra Warrior party spotted East of the Garden town of Winhill.

Later in the year, two Shinra Tarantula parties and the Battle Wagon divisons spotted earlier move into position to strike Mount Niebel... Time for our gun crews to get some more practice!

We also recieve word that Garden has begun preparations for the Voyage of the Blue Narcissus (the Voyage of the Blue Narcissus = Magellan's Voyage)... Yup! Garden has entered the Age of Steam as well...

In 1675 PA, Edward the Spoony Bard completes his master work, The Heroic Epic of Bartz Klauser and the Magnificent Mages, which soon has the kingdom's recruitment offices packed with young lads and lasses eager for glory in battle. This event also happens to coincide with the graduation of another band of Crusaders from Lord Mi'ihen's Crusaders and the ground breaking ceremony for the Tycoon Castle Airport, as well as the launch of the kingdom's SECOND combat Airship in Galbadia Garden.

The newly-commissioned Airship flies to Mount Niebel at top speed, arriving in town along with the units that were formerly guarding our prisoner column. The Airship bombs one of the Battle Wagon columns headed for the city, and the three Bombard batteries open up on the rest, damaging all the attacking Shinra units.

Bartz Klauser's Mage Army, living up to its reputation, wipes out two Battle Wagon divisions while only receiving minor casualties in return. A band of Crusaders slaughters a Tarantula party North of town, while one of our own Tarantuala parties devours the last Shinra Tarantula party attacking the city.

Later in the year, Esthari forces near our border wipe out an AVALANCHE Goblin Skirmisher party, while Galbadian troops continue to advance through our territory towards Esthar.

So it is with a decisive victory against Shinra under our belts that this installment of the story comes to a close.

Top Bottom