Finding the right file to use in new unit graphics problem

generally the *.nif file is the mesh - the contour of the unit\object. the *.dds's are the textures - the colors of the units, which are referenced in the nif file (usually should be placed in the same directory).
The *.kfm file is the animation, which uses the various *.kf files for the unit's animations for it's various actions (attack, fortify, move, etc.)
The files that need to be referenced in xml are just nif and kfm. (in xml/art/civ4ArtdefinesUnit.xml)

(if that was your question)

oh ok sorry

There should be one nif with (possibly) multiple dds's, and one kfm with multiple kf's.

EDIT:

ah, there could be another nif named something_fx.nif too, which could be referenced in civ4ArtdefinesUnit too.

And possibly nore nif's for some effects (bombing, shooting or something like that). I think these should be referenced in civ4effectinfos.xml

If it's just a problem with the skin, then the solution is easy: Take a look at these files (with e.g. this programm).
Not every unit has only 1 texture file.
Sometimes the skin is only one file.
But sometimes not, e.g. a soldier might have different texture files for the head, the body, the gun, etc.
It then depends on what unit you have, and what skin.
Sometimes only a partial replacement is needed, sometimes all.
It depends.

Can you maybe show us an example?

also, I have a program that can view dds files, but I can only find dds files for a regular bomber in this pack. The other ones are gloss thingies that I don't know what to do with...

Top Bottom