• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

First Monarch Victory

mechaerik

Tuturuu!
I finally beat Monarch! I played as the Egyptians (Hatty).

TargetsRivals:
Saladin
Hammy
Burger King
Julius
Scurvy

My start was pretty damn good: 3 flood plains, grassland pig, a wine, good amount of forests, and hills for production. 10 riverside tiles (not counting the city itself). Jungle to the north, a little hint of desert (but some flood plains too) to the east (as well as the ocean), hills, then tundra to my south, and Sally to my west.

The first tech I researched was AH, because I was planning on doing some War Chariot rushing and I wanted to pasture that pig ASAP.
There were 2 horses nearby, one near the jungle belt and one near the tundra. I settled the jungle one. My opening build was a worker, followed by a warrior, then Settler at pop 2. I immediately built another worker in Thebes, and a barracks in Memphis. Then, I began building War Chariots. I built 7 or 8 IIRC, then founded another city near Sally to act as a gate and to claim resoures(it had copper and gold, but not much food). I DoWed, and Mecca was mine within 2 turns. After Mecca fell, Hammy declared war on Sally (Hammy was Confucian, Sally Islamic). I then healed my forces, and attacked Medina. I took some bad losses (Fortified Protective Hill Archers behind culture. Ow.), but took it. I kept it (maybe not the best decision, but meh).

Of course, I saw that Hammy was right on Medina's border. And after opening borders, I saw some sweeeeeet land. The Confucian holy city Akkad had no less than 12 flood plains in its BFC. :drool: Hammy also built the Great Wall in Babylon, which had a few flood plains of its own, as well as marble and corn. :drool: I gathered up the forces I had and attacked Hammy. I took some losses, but nothing major, and now had a large belt of territory. In fact, with just two more cities, I could seal off about half the continent. I converted to Confucianism, which was already the dominant religion, and built an obelisk and temple to run priests for the shrine. The odds were 50/50 with a great spy, but I got the profitprophet.

At this point, I was bleeding gold. I got to strike for a few turns, but afterwards was still only getting maybe 1 to 3 :gold: per turn on a 0% slider. I begged for gold from my confucian buddies (Caeser, Mansa and Scurvy, because the Burger King was Christian. Heathen.), and managed to get out the three major economic techs: Currency, Code of Laws, and Monarchy. Afterwards, I backfilled my land and aimed for techs no one else had, so I could trade them. Holy war began between the Christians and Confucians, but I was in no state to participate. After the First Great Crusade, Julius declared on me. I held him off, got a ceasefire and gifted back a city I had no use for (but I had no option to raze). I still managed to win the Lib race, and got Nationalism. I had bribed Mansa into the war, then signed a defensive pact afterwards. At this point, I was building Cuirassiers for the Second Great Crusade, but JC DoWed me. Again.

Me and Mansa held on again, and afterwards, I signed another DP with Mansa. Mansa switched to FR, so Scurvy DoWed him later. I was dragged into the war, but no biggie, Rome stood between me and Khmer. I started the Second Great Crusade much delayed, but I now had Cavalry, and the BK was horridly backwards. I used the spy/mounted gambit, and it paid off. Even protective hill longbows are no match for Flanking Cavalry.

Halfway through the Second Great Crusade, me and Mansa signed a Permanent Alliance. The BKs days were numbered, and my forces crushed him.

Afterwards, I gathered my forces in Babylon and opened a war on two fronts with Rome. The northern front succeeded well, but the Southern Front was a bloodbath after the revolt failed. I still won the battles, then launched another attack. Before I launched this third attack, JC was willing to Capitulate and....

Domination Victory, 1540 AD (also my earliest victory, IIRC)

Assorted Pics:

World at the End:
Spoiler :

Score Graph:
Spoiler :

Power Graph:
Spoiler :

My Score:
Spoiler :

I learned quite a lot from this game.

Next is probably me playing as Kublai. TMIT's love of Keshiks is definitely a factor here. I want to try them out.

I can't even remember.... I kept getting WTFPWNED in the classical/medieval era.

And now my game as Kublai is over.... I ran into a brick wall known as Stalin, cutting my Keshiks off with spears and two sources of metal on opposite sides of his empire...

Congraz on the win :goodjob:

Remember that many of TMIT's showgames are a bit like proof-of-concepts and "even this can be done"-type of games. At least I wouldn't recommend looking at Keshik (or HAs in general) showgames and trying to duplicate the strategy. HAs can be a harsh mistress if you aren't 100% confident in what you're doing (read: I'm not and very seldom go for HA rushes :lol: ) and if your post-rush recovery skills aren't top-notch.

I somehow :)mischief:) get a feeling you tend to do early rushes a lot and usually win through Dom/Conquest. I would suggest playing some games with restrictions that favor the contrary, such as not being allowed to capture an enemy city until 1000AD/1500AD or similar. You might find out that after a few of those even the rushing and especially the post-rush recovery feels much easier :)

Well, I did manage to crush Byzantium's 3 cities in 4 turns, but Stalin was a brick wall I couldn't beat. He managed to get 3 spears into Moscow:)cry:). My force (around 8 strong, with some reinforcements coming in) was composed entirely of Keshiks, and when I saw those spears, I ran away, because he also had a stack of swords and archers. My Keshiks got cut down, and Stalin started taking over my eastern holdings, including my horse city.

And yeah, I early rush quite a lot. But my Egypt game was a little unique, because I usually only rush 1 civ. I've won nearly every game through Domination or Conquest since I was a Chieftan. Never won a cultural (or even tried really).

I should try some restrictions, but how can I possibly resist juicy, lightly defended cities?

Top Bottom