[FIXED] File size bloats with save / load cycles - Still in .621

Game save from Monday: 2142 KB
Game save tonight: 8821 KB

Added benefit of the game crashes upon trying to load after initial game. Tried via f12 and menu. Same effect.

Obviously a bug, I doubt saved games should contain 4x more data with a minor patch.

Now the game is rendered unplayable. Which is grand.

Hello, I'm new to these forums (well, been lurking for a while), have been playing since I guess just over a year ago (on civ4). I've been playing civ5 religiously the past week and although I love the game, I have run into a number of glitches, bugs, oversights, exploitable things, etc. Most of them I can deal with by either making conscious effort not to abuse things to keep the game fun, or in the case of most graphic glitches and many other problems, by restarting the program. The following is a bug that I had encountered one time before today, around last thursday / friday, and since I have played many games since without encountering it again I figured it had been fixed in one of the patches. However, this problem cropped up again on my most recent game, and unfortunately it is endangering my current save which I have put a fair amount of effort into, and if this problem were to keep occuring, I doubt I'd play much longer as having to abandon save files halfway through a game randomly is very discouraging.

Aaaanyway, basically the problem I am having is that, occasionally (so far, two games started out of about 8 for me) I encounter a problem where my save files begin to grow massively in size (kb) compared to other games on almost identical game conditions. This wouldn't be a problem, except that the primary symptom of this is that the game freezes for between 15 seconds and ten minutes (only had it freeze for 10 minutes once, usually around 1-2 minutes) whenever I try to load or save. This is extremely annoying, especially since I like to have autosaves around. I guess an obvious solution would be just to not save and turn off autosave, but I like to experiment with different things and besides, there's obviously a bigger problem going on here and I don't want to get right to the end of the game only to find something crazy has glitched out.

I've been playing on all 'small' games with 5 AIs and 12 city states in my games, I have save files from various points in 5 other games (that didn't glitch). The savegames that haven't glitched range in size from 456kb to just over 1000kb for saves near the end of large games. The first game I had where the glitch occured, I was playing as Siam on a pangaea, I got to late medieval period before getting fed up with the ridiculous wait times, and when I checked on the save files, the earliest saves were around 2000kb, and the biggest one was approaching 20,000kb (yes, really). After wracking my brain trying to figure out what was going on, I tried all the usual suspect solutions; I restarted the program, my computer, tried loading an earlier save, and every combination of the above, without getting anywhere. I finally decided to try starting a new game, and everything was fine again. I deleted all the problem save files and figured it was a one off occurence. Unfortunately, my latest game fell victim to the same thing. I started as Iroquois on a Pangaea map (I don't know if it's related or a coincidence, but it's worth mentioning), and about 100~ turns in I started noticing slow 'next turn's. By early medieval it was bad enough that I knew that this glitch was happening again, and surely enough, the save files for this game are massive compared to all others in the folder, ranging between 1200 and 4377kb.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I've posted a thread about this problem as well as several other people. This is a problem that seems to be affecting just about everyone. Firaxis, according to their webpage/forums are aware of the problem and are working on a patch to fix it. They didn't say how long before it's out, just "soon". if you browse around a bit you'll find many threads and a few suggestions to help with the problem, but until Firaxis issues a patch we are pretty much out of luck.

In my current game the size of my save game file suddenly went from around 300kb to more than 17000kb!
It now takes a long time to load and save the game and also, if I try to load the savegame and it is not the first action performed after starting Civ5 the game hangs indefinitely.

I just started seeing this today. It has cost me the whole day to this point. The game does not crash, but Win7 says it stoped working.

I looked an early game that I decided to play later and it was 827kb. The game I am trying to play now is only about 20 turns and went from 2mb to 12mb, no wonder the loading takes all day.

I am not even sure of the game settings as I have no means to find out, once the game starts. I mean things like what map size, what age, map type and such. Need a Seedbeast for V.

I just started seeing this today. It has cost me the whole day to this point. The game does not crash, but Win7 says it stoped working.

I looked an early game that I decided to play later and it was 827kb. The game I am trying to play now is only about 20 turns and went from 2mb to 12mb, no wonder the loading takes all day.

I am not even sure of the game settings as I have no means to find out, once the game starts. I mean things like what map size, what age, map type and such. Need a Seedbeast for V.
if you hit escape (open the main menu) and then press the details link at bottom of that screen, you can see the settings

Hey I know you guys are having issues with the bloating, but just for another scenario I have been playing a marathon game for over 850 turns now and done plenty of saving during my game, occassional reloading inside the game, and obviously over multiple sessions.

My game has stayed just over 1mb the entire time which seems pretty good to me, so apparently the bug doesn't always manifest itself. I usually have a dozen saves out at a time, but I rarely reload a game during my session (although each session has to be loaded so there have been at least a dozen or more times I've needed to load my game)

Every save is within 1254kb-1275kb so the range seems marginal.

The game has taken progressively longer to load as time progresses (playing a huge map of earth with max players), and the game itself becomes laggier as it has to keep track of so much activity and tiles, but the filesize does not seem to be affected.

Yup, I can join the club. Now I have even less incentive to play Civ5, cause every time I want to load the game I have to restart it, otherwise it CTD.
At least it's good to know that the devs are "working on it".

The only note I have is that it all started to happen from 1.0.0.20, before I never had any problems, but that's probably because I didn't make that many saves yet.

And for the record (not that it's anybody's business) I save often in order to make my own version of an end game Replay option (which sadly isn't there) - I can see how my game run in like 20-40 turns intervals and gather some input from it, I can also show my whole last game that way to my friend by sending him a save folder with it (i.e. "China Immortal"). So it's not about punishing reloaders, which some of the folks out there seem to be implying (like it's a sinful practice anyway). And no, autosave option is not the same since you can't name it or save in any specific moment to showcase one or more issues/bugs/decisions etc.

I'd love to if this could be fixed.

A bit of an update:

For those who do suffer from that annoying bug I have a heavy-handed workaround that so far works for me:

Reinstall. Meaning open Steam, go to Library, right click on Civilization 5 and use "delete local content" option. Then go to My Documents/My Games and delete Civilization 5. Restart PC. Install Civ5. Done.

Now, I know it's a hack job - you have to delete all the saves you've got (I've copied some of my earlier games to separate folder for the record), and if you've bought digital version while your broadband is weak it'll take a while to download that brick of a game (I'm in a lucky position to have 20Mbit from 0:00 to 12:00 so it's not an issue). Obviously, all your Steam Achievements stay on your profile (for those who care, I don't).

I'm at my third game and so far so good. Undoubtedly it will start happening again sooner or later, but for now I don't have to convince myself to start the game every time when I want to load up a save - before reinstall I was actually ending up on forums instead of playing - whereas now I can say that playing Iroquis is fun :)

I've searched through a ton of threads and I haven't found a resolution for this, and I was hoping the new patch would handle it but it has not, so here I am.

Ever since the first game I played on release day I have been experiencing what I heard termed as a "memory leak". It typically starts anywhere from about 30-50 turns in and the symptoms are this:

- I cannot load a game other than after game start-up. It will crash without fail any other time.
- QuickSave / Save times and turn timers range anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds.
- Load times (initial only) take about three minutes.
- Tech era does not seem to affect this at all (Modern era turn times are about the same as Medieval, etc.)

No other noticeable slow-down or performance issues that I've seen.

I've played only on Standard and Large maps, both Civ and City-State numbers have varied. I haven't had a particularly large empire or military (I read about an issue involving workers and it's not that).

In my current game I have one city, no workers, two units, and have already began experiencing this "leak". I've met no City-States or Civs and am on turn 18.

Ctrl-Alt-Del shows me Civ runs in this state anywhere from 2-3 GB.

If there is a solution or anything I can do, please let me know, and apologies if this is a duplicate thread.

--

I also cannot utilize the QuickLoad (F12) since the patch hit this morning, so if there's a fix for that I'd appreciate that as well.

Mods, since I made this thread I decided to just add the QuickLoad issue so if anyone would delete my other topic that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Does the new patch finally fix this problem?

I've experienced absolutely no change since the patch. I could technically argue that it got worse as on the only game I've started my problem began at turn 18. It's the only game I've started though so I couldn't say it's a larger issue across the board.

Thanks for the merge, I didn't find this topic.

Saving and loading started acting up on me the other day as well. I tried something though: deleted all files and folders in the Saves folder under My Games/Sid Meier's[..], and did a "verify integrity of game cache" in Steam. Started up a new game, and I think it might have taken care of the problem: quicksaving now takes a split second again, and loading doesn't crash the game. I just did this minutes ago though, so there has been no long term testing. :)

Top Bottom