[R&F] Flying start religion

NorthernPalmyra

Chieftain
I generally play as Russia and I find I am too slow founding my religion, how can I ensure that Holy Rus gets first dibs on creating a religion?

Russia gets a unique holy district that is half cost to build. So it is super quick to build. To get a religion, just build the unique holy district first in all your new cities and build shrines in them. With 2-3 shrines up, you'll get a religion pretty quickly.

Russia gets a unique holy district that is half cost to build. So it is super quick to build. To get a religion, just build the unique holy district first in all your new cities and build shrines in them. With 2-3 shrines up, you'll get a religion pretty quickly.
so take Astrology beforwriting?

Well, without posting your difficulty level it's hard to say for sure. But if you are playing on Emperor +, and you want a fast religion, you should for sure be researching Astrology first. King and lower it should not matter too much, but IMHO it's always best to play to each Civilizations strengths, so as Russia, I would almost always research astrology first to get Lavras up and running.

Yes, especially if your scout finds a natural wonder and you get the eureka for astrology. With Russia, you want to focus on religion before science. Don't try to rush to get campus districts up. Instead, focus on getting holy districts first in all your cities. Also remember that Russia gets a bonus to science through international trade routes with more advanced civs. So it actually benefits you to be behind in science because you can get science through international trade routes. So campus districts don't need to be a high priority for Russia.

Yes, especially if your scout finds a natural wonder and you get the eureka for astrology. With Russia, you want to focus on religion before science. Don't try to rush to get campus districts up. Instead, focus on getting holy districts first in all your cities. Also remember that Russia gets a bonus to science through international trade routes with more advanced civs. So it actually benefits you to be behind in science because you can get science through international trade routes. So campus districts don't need to be a high priority for Russia.

thanks :) thatsone area I've been going wrong my natural tendency is to go straight for science

Build a scout first, explore the Tundra (or Desert if you find one early). Several NWs can be found in tundra or desert and if you do find them, you'll get the Eureka for Astrology, saving your time. Get the first lavra up after you've built your first settler. Usually having two Lavra's up early is enough to get a religion on King, build more if you want to have the first religion, I guess? I have only been the first to found a religion if I built Stonehenge (as China or Indonesia) but it's less reliable due to how easily China can get it.

If you really want to prioritize getting the first Great Prophet, run the Prayers project as soon as you finish your first Holy Site (Lavra).

That will typically get you a Great Prophet quicker than building a Holy Shrine first.

If you really want to prioritize getting the first Great Prophet, run the Prayers project as soon as you finish your first Holy Site (Lavra).

That will typically get you a Great Prophet quicker than building a Holy Shrine first.

I'll try that in my next game , Jadwiga is being a regular PITA in this game

That's my experience. Though if it's getting a bit later and I'm getting a bit desperate, I'll buy the shrine.

Top Bottom