1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Food Distribution

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Jupin, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

MoAR food! nom nom nom :3

2. Yared

Yared That Guy

Can't anyone like, settle a city where there are only plain hills with mines, redirect food to it so it can use those hills and then post a screen shot?

3. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Good point. You could have the distance modifier itself modified by techs or resources. Historically, before the advent of refrigeration food was preserved with spices.

So access to spices would more easily allow transport of food over longer distances. And eventually, researching Refrigeration would allow even longer transport. Just a thought.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

This looks interesting.

Might I suggest than rather than having cities be bale to import or export up to 4 food all the time that different techs increase the limit? In the early game most settlements would have to be self sufficient, while in the modern era a rural breadbasket could support metropoles elsewhere.

5. Buck_Nekkid

Buck_Nekkid Chieftain

Excellent idea, especially when combined with the distance modifier.

Seems like CIV II's caravans could take food to other cities or something like that. Anyone remember?

6. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

Caravans were the Chuck Norris of Civ II. Food wherever you wanted it, Rushing wonders in 1 turn, massive gold from trade routes...

7. Some guy

Some guy Warlord

This importing/ exporting of food/ production/ commerce is something that should have originally been in this game. I really hope this idea evolves.

8. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

Very nice idea, definitely don't give up and keep building this idea. You could team up or ask for python assistance with some of the gurus around here, I'm sure they'd be interested in this also. I'm not one of those gurus, unfortunately.

9. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Wow, this is a *really* cool idea, Jupin, & a really amazing start. It would be so great to see some refinements to this mod, beyond getting the AI to use it. For instance, making the maximum food export per city (either total or number of food exporting trade routes) tech dependent. Also, it would be good to see this work for hammers as well.

Anyway, just some more ideas to consider, and keep up the fantastic work :).

Aussie.

10. Jupin

Jupin Chieftain

Thanks all for comments and cheering me up. i'm still around here but this month i'm dedicating my free time to boring stuff like exams :(

11. lukaspl

lukaspl Chieftain

Hi,

The idea is fantastic... Just it doesn't work with my BTS.
    What I've done was overwriting the original files in BTS subdirectories with yours and simply starting a new game - the old saved games can't be opened now as the game crushes. So to hurry everything I just added few cities in the Worldbuilder, added some improvements around some cities, added some technologies and tried to send some food.
    CTRL+X doesn't work at all (while I'm in the city screen and out of it).
    Am I missing something?
    My BTS is 3.19 version.

12. Some guy

Some guy Warlord

I was having the same problem.

13. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

How do you control who gets the food and how much? Because 1. trade routes hand out bonuses and are not directly used to control what the cities can import or export. 2. you can't control which cities have trade routes. What if it turned out the city is exporting food to a city from another civ?

My More Trade Routes mod had this. You can store food and hammers in a national storage and directly give it to a city. This is easy to use and easy to teach the AI.

14. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I would love to see your More Trade Routes for BTS, but it's way out of date.

15. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

My avatar reveals a glimpse of the food and hammer storage system found in the modpack. Also, I have uploaded the source code that you can dig through, if you have the patience and diligence. Alas, I don't have BTS.

16. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

:facepalm: You aren't supposed to overwrite your original files. Best thing to do is to reinstall Beyond the Sword. There's a reason BtS has a Mods folder.

17. patriachica

patriachica Chieftain

Loaded the mod and, um, how do I use it? I'm not finding any controls. There doesn't appear to be anything new in the city screen or any menus. :confused:

18. CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight Warlord

19. andikato

andikato Chieftain

this mod had lot potential