Forbidden Palace, using it differently!

Il Mafioso

Chieftain
I dunno if it was here or on Apolyton that someone mentioned the Forbidden Palace being a catch22 because building it far from the capital (where you want it to help with corruption) is almost impossible due to the crippling waste caused by corruption.

Anyway... I've voiced my *complaints* about excessive corruption myself, but it's growing on me... it is becoming an interesting aspect of the game to deal with, especially as I'm progressively becoming better (I think) at dealing with it.

So last night I tried a different strategy, by thinking of the Forbidden Palace in a different way... I decided that the "Forbidden Palace" would be "the OLD Palace"

So what I did was as soon as building it was available, I built it in the CLOSEST city to the capital that had meaningful location (meaning close to but not on the border of my country) and with decent production.

Once I built the Forbidden Palace.... I Moved my capital a couple of cities away.

Then I moved it a little farther.

And again, a final move, which placed it at a far enough distance to beneficially affect cities that were really suffering in the beginning.

I also completely gave up on production considerations for the cities that I knew would have the worst waste/corruption.

This was nice. It added an additional level of reality to the game, as I had an extra impulse to place the city where it made sense geographically rather than production-wise.

I also set the governors for those cities so they would build ZERO units and used the tiny production exclusively for walls (though I think this wasn't necessary as I wasn't threatened) and culture/happyness enhancing buildings.

I did ALL military production in two cities that were well equipped to turn out units in one or two turns thanks to their excellent resources and the presence of barracks.

I didn't have any conflicts as I had set the game for continents with only 2 civs (I did this purely to explore the concept of corruption).

Now, believe it or not I give corruption a big :goodjob:

Alessandro

:) :) :) :)
I really like this idea. Get the "forbidden palace", then build the much cheaper "normal palace" to fight corruption.

:goodjob:

Interseting use of the Forbidden Palace indeed. It's true that it's tough now to get something like that built in a city that can actually USE it. In the past, it would have been a line of caravans waiting to get it done in a single turn!

With your first post regarding corruption, I took it to heart and took a good long look at my game I have now. You're totally correct in that corruption is everywhere and really draining. I'm in a democracy with a HUGE culture score, and I still have cities with 50% corruption. And courthouses do seem to do very little to help.

I can see where corruption can require some interesting strategy, but at higher levels I don't see how the human player can compete.

I would like the concept more if there was a way, strategically, to better deal with the problem rather than the minor efforts with the palace and courthouses. For example, if a courthouse ended corruption, then I would have to make it a huge priority and may have to get it built very early.

I wonder if there are later improvements that will help with this - like a police station or something. Anyone know about that?

Moving the original palace is an excellent idea, and I would have done it in my current (still first but now into the 1800s) game, except that my capitol is rushing for a cultural victory (10,000 so far, half way there!) I can't afford to delete any culture-builders from it. :(

Strategy sounds good for lower level games, maybe king or below it would work. But I simply cannot see the developers intending that strategy for a deity level game. There is no way you'd have the resources to build your palace four or five times while the majority of your cities sit producing and generating nothing. Either there's something missing or game balance is a bit off . . . .

I wouldn't ever move the capitol multiple times (like the AI used to do in Civ II! :rolleyes: ), but it would be very valuable in my current game. I've expanded onto a nearby continent, and have a size 20 city (and other cities around it) with 50% corruption, even with courthouses, Democracy, and WLTKD!! :( Corruption is rediculously high in this game.

And as far as it (corruption) making it hard for us to keep up, what about the poor AI?! I don't know how my rivals ever research anything, with the corruption I've seen in their big cities.

Originally posted by Il Mafioso
Once I built the Forbidden Palace.... I Moved my capital a couple of cities away.

Then I moved it a little farther.

And again, a final move, which placed it at a far enough distance to beneficially affect cities that were really suffering in the beginning.
:confused:
Just to confirm - this is most useful because you CAN'T rush a Forbidden Palace, but you CAN rush a 'normal' palace?

Callahan

You CAN rush a forbidden palace with a leader unit. I dont know if I am lucky, but I have had 3 leaders appear (and thats up to 1300AD). I can assume with the amount of war that I face to expect at least 2 more.

Got war?

ironfang

Don't forget all you gamers.. there is "corruption fixing method" in the Civ Mod section.. that should help!

"..some days are diamond, some days are stones; sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone..." --John Denver
:D

Machiavelli said in the prince that the only way for a Prince to deal with conquered cities is to destroy them or to live there.

burn em to the ground or put your palace there in civ3 terms I guess.

I tried to build forbbiden palace with republic and democracyin my territory but was useless. Too many turns later I attacked a distant country and change to communism (I'm of a religius civ) and built forbbiden palace in it without any problem. I used the two leaders from the battle in order to hurry SETI and Cure for Cancer.

Isn't better? :)

Use distant corrupt cities as a food resource supporting scientists/taxmen to max extent possible, so no mines, only irriagation and rails on the irrigation. Scientists, and taxmen do not suffer corruption,so creating high food cities that can support these is worth the effect. A marketplace to boost luxury support and 1 culture building and maybe aqueduct is all that is necessary

plasm4 said:
Machiavelli said in the prince that the only way for a Prince to deal with conquered cities is to destroy them or to live there.

burn em to the ground or put your palace there in civ3 terms I guess.

Or maybe live close. What i mean by this is to build your forbidden palace close to your opponents cities. Especially close to well producing cities. Than strike!!. Take those cities and keep them u don't have to rase them. Place a couple of your workers in them to stop conversions and start producing culture so they don't complain. Control your other cities with military police, courthouses, and police stations. Now you have your cities under control and on top of that you have taken over your opponents ,and you have them working for u. This works great untill u surpass monarch. Than the real strategy begins. Have fun.

there is an exploit known as palace jump. Build your FP next to your capitol, use your capitol to produce settlers non stop to decrease it's size, abandon the capitol and the palace will automaticaly appear in the largest city. Make sure the city you want to be your new capitol is the largest by joining all those settlers to it, and you've just built yourself a palace for free. The catch is that you have to rebuild all the improvements in the city that you are going to build where your capitol used to be, so sell the improvements first and use the last settler it produced to build a new city there.

Hmmm... I thought that someone made a great new idea, and found out that the OP was back in 2001 :(

The OP's idea is good in principle, but at 1000 shields per palace re-build once you have enough cities to make it even needed .... blech. Too many resources that could be more efficiently used to do other things.

Renata

For the original poster, in case you are not familiar with the regular method:

Build your FP near your palace.
Choose a city where you want your palace to be. Grow it to be the largest of your cities with a good lead and if possible make sure it has some other cities around it. both these factors are counted when the AI assigns you a new capital. something like 3 pop bigger than the second city should normally do it.

Produce a settler from your original capital.
Now disband your original capital. The big city will become your new capital. Rebuild the original capital city with the settler.

In the beginning of the game, when you are planning to do this in the future, don't build to many city improvements. Only a granary normally.

if you disband a unit outside a city you get money
but if you disband it in a city you get shields in the city's construction box
how much depends on the unit type (not as much as you needed to produce it though)
anyway, if you disband it in the city that constructs FP (or whatever) you rush it a bit

Top Bottom