Forgetting Swordsmen

dunkleosteus

Roman Pleb
Maybe a controversial topic, but I think swords (and swordsmen) are a bad unit that shouldn't exist. They fabricate a historical context and while they existed, had little military use. You may have many objections forming already and while I'm going to adress the few exceptions, I invite you to read this post first.

Swords are a sidearm or back-up weapon. They are versatile and have a high skill cap but simultaneously, a limited reach and a sharper learning curve. The bottom line: organized, formal militaries almost NEVER employed the sword as the primary weapon of their infantry. Exceptions to this rule? Of course: Roman Legions, but those are a unique unit anyway and by all accounts, were largely alone.

The bottom line is that swords are more expensive and less useful in a battle. In one on one combat, they're useful for dueling and they are easier to carry than a spear, but they are NOT better.

The whole idea of an entire class of units that used a sword as their primary weapon is ridiculous, and the idea that this class would have a combat BONUS against spears is equally crazy or more-so. Roman legions are again the exception, not the rule. Swords were always second fiddle to the spear in infantry.

In reflection of this, spearmen should be the ancient era infantry unit unlocked with bronze working. With iron working, Rome may unlock legions and all military units can get a +x combat bonus. Simply imply that iron tools improve the strength of the same weapon rather than making a new one (regardless of the fact that swords and spears can both be made of bronze or iron). In the medieval era, spearmen upgrade to pikemen. With gunpowder, they go to musketmen. In the industrial era, we need our old Riflemen (essentially equal in standing to the position that redcoats have), followed by infantry of some sort in the modern era and later mobile infantry.

It's also important to forget this silly "anti-cavalry" idea that we have about spears in Civ. They are not an anti-cavalry unit, they are an anti-life unit. They stab and poke anything that can bleed, regardless of whether it's a horse or foot soldier. A properly trained cavalry unit would never get in poking range of a spear or a sword, so a few feet of extra reach is only relevant when you can eliminate the maneuverability bonus that cavalry have.

Cavalry in general should reflect this. You can charge down an infantry line to try to break their formation. If the line breaks, you can chase down the scattering soldiers and cut them down. If the line holds, you peel off and come back around for another charge. You don't RUN YOUR HORSE INTO A WALL OF SPEARS.

We need to let go of our attachment to a unit that is made up and has no global historical context.

[Note: swords WERE used by elite military units, such as knights and some samurai, as well as many other mounted units and sometimes as a side weapon by spear-wielding units. They were also a popular civilian defence weapon because they are relatively easy to take with you whereever you go. The oft-compared modern counterpart in the link above is that the sword is a hand gun while a spear is a rifle. Handguns and pistols can be used as a back up weapon or a dueling weapon and often were- think pirates, classically depicted cowboys, many modern police officers, and civilian personal weapons. But if you are in an actual war, there is no doubt that you'd rather carry a rifle than a pistol.]

Last edited:
Possibly it'd be easier to rename the Swordsman as the Foot Soldier or something. Give them spears as weapons, sure. (Axes or maces are an alternative I guess but from what I gather they're unsuited to unit formation combat.)
To maintain the anti-cavalry unit thread, change the Spearman to a Longspearman or something more suitable.

Last edited:
I think I disagree with your historical assessment.

Spears where the primary weapon (along with the bow), I would agree with that. But you did have elite units armed with swords as primary weapons in many armies outside of Rome, including the Macedonians and the Celts. And that's not counting all the Roman "copy cat" armies that started appearing in the east in the last century bc. The sword was less common than the spear in antiquity, but was still reasonably prevalent. In the west the longsword (or similar) was used for centuries by heavy infantry.

But I do agree that the roles of spear vs swords is off in Civ corresponding to historical accuracy. But there's also ideas of game balance to take into account and the desire to have every unit (or rather promotion line) to have a specific role. At present the warrior/sword line is "Strong infantry requiring resource and with a bonus against spears", while the spear/pike line is "Weak infantry not requiring a resource and with a bonus against cavalry". I think that - in principle - this is about right. Spears requiring no resource makes them more common, and the bonus against cavalry is well suited thematically and for game balance, while swords are the more elite units with higher strength but more restrictions.

The problem is that, in practice, this doesn't work. I think a solution would be to increase the base strength of spears/pikes by a few points so that they don't get massacred by swords quite as much, cut their production and upkeep by ~25%; while increasing the cost and upkeep of swords by a similar amount. That way the units would go back to occupying the roles they were meant to have. If you can have two spears for every sword, it might be a tempting move.

And don't even talk to me about the renaissance units in this game, it's all ridiculous

The quick answer to the swords versus spear/pike argument is Historical Reality: in the battles of the Macedonian Wars between Alexander's Successor State using pikes and the Roman late-Republic legions using swords, the Romans won every single battle.

Which is NOT to say that the game gets them right.

The reason spears were so much more common than swords, but also why 'elite' warriors switched to swords, is in the relative expense of obtaining and effectively using the swords. Swords were much more expensive than spears: cost of specially forged 26 - 36 inches of wrought iron or steel versus 12 - 18" of Point and a stout wooden Stick. Then, using a spear is, basically, pretty easy: keep the pointy end between you and the enemy, keep Buddies on either side to Watch Your Flank, Don't Panic. Using a sword effectively requires long, long hours of training and practice. Put bluntly, the spear is the weapon of the amateur Group, while the sword is the weapon of the professional - who has to be paid and supported constantly.

It's no accident that most of the Greek Hoplites (possibly the Premier Spearmen of the Classical Era) were amateur citizens who could practice a little and then go about their business, whereas the Roman swordsman-legionary was a Professional signed up for 20 + years who had no other job but to train, practice, kill and build the occasional fort or road to make getting to the Killing Field a little easier.

So, in game terms, ALL swordsmen should have 2 or 3 times the Maintenance Cost of the spearmen, AND increased initial 'equipment' cost. On the other hand, they are more flexible, especially in any kind of rough country, than the spear/pike, so should have a bonus against them, and probably an even greater bonus if they catch them in Forest or Jungle where the spear-required formation keeping is nigh impossible.

Of course, if you have Professional Spear/Pikemen - like Classical Spartans, or Alexander's Pezhetairoi or Renaissance Swiss, the Sword
Bonus' should probably be Halved or even non-existant: these guys were familiar enough with all the tricks to hold their own. BUT the Terrain Penalty is still there, and the Maintenance Cost of these troops is going to be as high as the swordsmen: training and feeding them constantly is much, much more expensive to you, the ruler, than just calling them up as needed and sending them home after the battle/campaign ...

I think this article would add something to this discussion :)
I'm no expert, but I'd expect a big selection bias in these kinds of studies. The swords that survive are far more likely to be the ceremonial ones that were well looked after and buried in tombs. You're average fighting sword is less likely to survive 1000 years.

Top Bottom