Found my old Alpha Centauri CD...

Distorted Humor

Chieftain
and I forgot how fun this game was. set up a basic game, ended up having a large island to myself, and quickly expanded (Playing Univesity). Met Morgan, and we quickly united up, and he met the religous nuts, and I joined him in the war. Setting off the first world war on the new planet, as Yang, UN, and spartans all declaring war on me. :eek:

I did the British stratagy of building up a navy, took sparta out of the war by capturing a sea base and quickly made peace, and Yang was no-where to be found. my navy bombarded the Fundies while I converted my production from navy to land forces.

One of my explorors caused a earthquake, which caused a small land bridge to form between me and the UN, and the spartans made war noises again, so I paid them off with energy credits as i didn't want to have a sustained three front war. The fundies only had two bases, which I captured and made their island part of my empire, and suffered sactions due to brain stapling. then my navy and air forces emasculated the UN, taking their sea bases and started rolling ground offensive, after loosing half his bases and having no forces, Lia summitted fully, so I didn't eliminate him. Sparta tried to shake me down again, but this time I was ready. Secured my UN border, airforce and navy took there sea bases, and used those sea bases to pound the land, landed troops, and rolled right on up till the spartens where eliminated.

Yang turned out to have one base, and was quite willing to join me in a Pact, seeing the new world order. The tree huggers where the only ones who stood in my way, and I had a massive fleet and landing forces ready, but it was 1 am and I bribed my way to a diplomatic victory. :goodjob:

Forgot how great this gem of a game is.

I don't think i even SEEN a Alien crossfire copy in a box...ever...

Did find all of Civ 4 and all the ad dons mislabeled for 20 bucks though :cool:

sorry to slightly hijack the thread... I have a curious question though.... I have no problem getting SMAX to work in Win7 (64 bit) but SMAC does not.... can anyone help me?

sorry to slightly hijack the thread... I have a curious question though.... I have no problem getting SMAX to work in Win7 (64 bit) but SMAC does not.... can anyone help me?

We'll be glad to help! A few questions and suggestions:

1. Which versions of SMAC/SMAX do you have (original discs, Planetary Pack, Laptop Collection, Sold-out Software release, something else)?

2. Since SMAC isn't working, have you applied the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update, found here. If not, you should install it see if that helps.

3. If installing the update doesn't fix your problem, then try uninstalling/re-installing. The excellent instructions here should help. (You may ignore everything about Hamachi in that thread, since it only applies to multiplayer games.)

4. If none of that helps, please post again and include the exact text of any error messages that occur.

HTH

Petek

Thanks for the advice Petek :)

1. It is the planetary pack version I have.

2. SMAX works, but SMAC does not. I have updated it with the Win 200/XP update

3. I haven't done an install for a long time, I have learned that (in Windows XP) you can simply copy the installed game from computer to computer and play the game, thus I copied it from my old laptop (XP) to my new desktop (Windows 7). SMAX still works, SMAC doesn't.

4. I'll try starting SMAC when I get back home and let you know what kind of error message I get... IIRC I don't get any error message, the game simply crashes to desktop without ever really loading.

There was a typo in my above post (now corrected). I realize that SMAC isn't working but SMAX is. Since the problem follows copying the installation to another PC, that suggests to me a faulty installation (instead of a conflict with the specific system). So I highly recommend an uninstall (including deleting any files that get left behind) followed by a reinstall. The link that I gave in my last post specifically covers installing from the Planetary Pack edition. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Even if you only play SMAX, I think it's still worthwhile to clear this up. There might be a problem with SMAX that you haven't seen yet.

Petek

Top Bottom