Frame Rate Limiter

quixadhal

Chieftain
Current version of Civ 6, 1.0.0.26 (221715).

I like my computer to run quiet and cool, and for a strategy game, excessive framerates are pointless wastes of electricity. So, I was pleased to see both vsync AND a framerate limit option in Civ 6.

However, there are several situations where the framerate limiter doesn't work, and vsync ALSO doesn't work.

The first one I noticed was when leaving the game running for long periods. If the game is in the background, and windows puts the monitor to sleep, vsync goes away, so without the frame rate limiter you're merrily rendering as fast as the video card can to produce no visible output and lots of extra heat.

Additionally, even with the limiter set to 60FPS (and vsync enabled), during the cut scenes shown when talking to rulers of other civs, it appears to no longer limit frames, as my video card fan ramps up and then back down as soon as I return to the map display. Just for reference, I have an Nvidia GTX 1070, which will happily churn out 120 FPS for such a cut scene, even though my monitor can't show more than 60.

Normally, I'd report this to the game developers, but Firaxis seems to make it difficult for customers to find any sort of bug reporting forum or tool. If anyone knows of one, I'd be happy to repost it there.

One more thing to note, that may or may not be related.

I noticed that whenever I run Civ 6, it effectively disables my screen saver until I reboot the computer. The first time I noticed this, I thought maybe my cat had nudged the mouse recently or something, but after playing for a bit yesterday, I noted the screen being on again (at the windows-L lock screen), so I verified that it was not turning off when it should have been.

EDIT: This one is a false positive. It's actually the graphics driver that's doing this. I noticed the same thing happens with World of Warcraft, and probably any "borderless windowed" mode application that uses the 3D acceleration. The other bugs I noted are still potentially CIv 6's fault though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom