1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Freeciv

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Sites' started by Thue, Dec 27, 2000.

1. da dick

da dick Warlord

2. Lord Drake

Lord Drake Paper Tiger

Honestly I stopped playing a long time ago for the very reasons you mentioned in your thread. :/
    It's an alright stand alone game but it isn't Civ.

As for mod hunting, I don't think the modding community for FreeCiv was ever as active as the one for Civ. In all odds there either haven't been mods updated yet or they're just really hard to find. (Yes I know that doesn't help.)

All you really can do is just keep looking. Try not signing into google or whatever search engine you use, they're likely to just keep spitting the same results at you if you do.

3. vktj

vktj Warlord

I actually have both Freeciv as well as the open-source C-evo installed on my netbook, since this computer can't play any official version of Civ more recent than Civ II (Civ III needs a 1024x768 screen).

Most of the time, I prefer C-evo when on my netbook, but it has a number of annoyances such as no settler/worker automation nor any real ability to customize the rules. It is a lot more cohesive, immersive, and stable than Freeciv, and has a fun factor Freeciv just doesn't have for me. It's best on a small map to keep the micromanagement down.

Freeciv is a lot more flexible, yes, but its default interface feels like using a spreadsheet and its SDL interface is unstable and buggy. I really wish I had the free time to iron out the SDL client's bugs myself.

One Freeciv advantage over C-evo is that there is a Java utility out there that can convert Civ IV maps in to Freeciv maps, so I can play a Civ4 map I like with Freeciv while traveling on the road.

The best open-source turn based strategy (TBS) game that plays on a netbook is undoubtedly Battle For Wesnoth, but that's not a Civilization-type game.

In terms of commercial games, the best Civ-type game for a netbook is either Alpha Centauri or Call To Power 2. For a turn-based game that's not Civ, Heroes of Might and Magic III is really good, and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic deserves a shout-out. All of these games are legally available DRM-free for $10 or less at GOG.com.

- Sam

4. vktj

vktj Warlord

Talking to myself, but to be fair to C-evo: It does have some tools to keep micromanagement down.

The reason why the game can't be modded at all has to do with C-evo's philosophy: It is a Civ variant designed with the goal of having an AI that doesn't cheat and still defeats you in a fair game. For players who are able to defeat the standard AI, replace it with the SETI AI, which is very very strong, especially on maps where everyone is on the same land mass.

There is a review that summarizes C-evo's strengths.

- Sam

5. da dick

da dick Warlord

haven't checked in on this thread for a while since it hardly received any response.

thanks vktj!
    c-evo does look a lot more like civ2 compared to freeciv, and since i only play it in single-player it might fit me more. the ruleset sounds a lot more streamlined though. not sure if i would like that.

currently i'm still trying to figure out the settings in freeciv, trying to make it play more like civ3. i've downloaded the civ2-3 ruleset it seems to be more of a hybrid ruleset between 2 &3. confusing. wished the wikia could explain it. if i ever find the time to figure this out or get sick of it, i might switch to c-evo. however the mods for version 2.0 of freeciv are tempting.

6. vktj

vktj Warlord

Silly question: Since you're using Windows, why don't you just play Civ3 to get that 100% authentic Civ3 experience? It seems like the obvious solution for me. The only reasons why someone who wanted Civ3 would not just play it is because they either are on a netbook (1024x600 is too small) or they are using Linux/Mac and refuse to dual boot.

In terms of using a netbook, C-evo (slightly modified to fix a netbook screen size bug; see http://samiam.org/cevo/ for details) works really nice, as well as Alpha Centauri or Call to Power 2.

7. Lord Drake

Lord Drake Paper Tiger

Probably for the same reason I did originally. They're broke and can't buy civ3.

8. vktj

vktj Warlord

9. da dick

da dick Warlord

well, i still don't have a credit card. i could find someone to order it for me but... like i said, i don't really have the time . kinda have several games on the backlog i wanna beat at least once.

and yes, i am using a netbook but i usually connect it to a widescreen monitor at home so that's not an issue. oh , and i do want to play alpha centauri(and MOO2 btw) a lot more than civ3 but hmmm... same reasons.

lord drake> i feel ya, man. i want just a brokeass intern when Civ3 first came out. i was using a Pentium that was cutting edge... 10 years ago.

10. Lord Drake

Lord Drake Paper Tiger

Vktj, not every parent just gives kids whatever they want, if only because they can't afford it. :/
    Civ 3 wasn't 5 bucks 3 or 4 years ago when I got it, that much is for sure.

dick> Aye, I use an archaic dell laptop myself.

11. Bardo

Bardo Chieftain

Civ2-3 ruleset is designed as a hybrid between civ2 and civ3, in a similar way than c-evo. The modpack includes a readme, named "ReadMe_Civ2-3.txt", and probably placed at "...\.freeciv\2.3\civ2-3", listing all the changes compared to freeciv default rules, as well as updated tables for governments/terrains/units/wonders.
    This ruleset is being considered to be included into freeciv official releases, and it is being tested for Longturn multiplayer games.
    I wish people like it, but it is being hard to get feedback from freeciv community.

12. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

A question about C-Evo: how do you get the sound to work on Windows 7?

13. vktj

vktj Warlord

After starting the game, Click on the C-evo logo in the upper left hand corner and then: Options -> Sound -> On

- Sam

14. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

It is on. I never really played the game because it was always silent, but considering what people say about it I would like to try. I can obviously play MP3 files, considering that I can play the sounds in the game folders independently from the game; any other solutions?

15. Robin Patterson

Robin Patterson Chieftain

Well, of course people were and are still posting. "Stable Version 2.4.4 released on 6th Dec 2014 " - check out its website http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

:)