Frequently Asked Questions (at last)

@ tu_79

Spoiler Any recommended mods?

VP FAQ are mostly read by new players.
Therefore, you shouldn't advice any modmod. It could bring misunderstandings, technical difficulties, and ruin the experience of a first try.
Advice VP alone instead.

The simplest is Always the best.

@ tu_79

VP FAQ are mostly read by new players.
Therefore, you shouldn't advice any modmod. It could bring misunderstandings, technical difficulties, and ruin the experience of a first try.
Advice VP alone instead.

The simplest is Always the best.
I disagree. Events are enabled by default, but the events experience is not very nice with just the base events. Also, there are a couple of mods I consider essential, such as PromotionFlags and Improved City View. If I could, I would have them in the base mod, but Gazebo does not want to maintain any additional mods or be limited by compatibilities.

I’ve played communitas a few times and while it makes for interesting map layouts, the strategic resources are in shorter supply (3 and 7 coal tiles are replaced with 2 and 3, there are no 4 horse tiles, etc). Since VP gives players more options to use them, it gets tough to manage what little you have. I wonder if there’s a way to manually change the resource tiles back to normal?

I’ve played communitas a few times and while it makes for interesting map layouts, the strategic resources are in shorter supply (3 and 7 coal tiles are replaced with 2 and 3, there are no 4 horse tiles, etc). Since VP gives players more options to use them, it gets tough to manage what little you have. I wonder if there’s a way to manually change the resource tiles back to normal?

I'm not 100% sure about that, but in the file "C:\Users\Marc\Desktop\VP_2018-11-21_no_EUI\Mods\(1) Community Patch (v 88)\Mapscripts\Communitas.lua", line 7467, there is stuff about ressource quantity depending on abundance.

If that does not work, the other possible answer would be "(2) Community Balance Overhaul (v 13)\Balance Changes\Terrain\ResourceChanges.sql", line 125, where there is stuff about ressource quantity, which look like a minimum-maximum for spawn quantity.

There ARE 4 horse tiles. Even 5 horse tiles exist (but rare).

Iron, on the other hand, comes often in 2 and rarely 6, and 9 iron tiles don't exist.

Do tectonics, planet generator and perfectworld3 cause VP errors? I remember reading that their base script is related. Someone mentioned potential conflicts with the mod.

Do tectonics, planet generator and perfectworld3 cause VP errors? I remember reading that their base script is related. Someone mentioned potential conflicts with the mod.
All of them have worked fine for me so far (haven't tried the very latest VP version though).

Edit: oh, and you mean Tectonic, not Tectonics, right? They are 2 different map scripts, Tectonics being clearly superior because I said so.

I'd like to throw Small Continents Plus into the list of recommended maps, if everyone else agrees with me. Enough land to have healthy cities, enough sea for naval-themed civs to exploit. Only downside is that circumnavigation may happen too soon with too many coast-connected landmasses.

Obsolete information about "standard difficulty level".
It is not balanced around Emperor, whoever said this made it up. It's balance around King at best (I do a lot of testing at King), but really it's balanced around whatever handicap you feel is appropriate to your playing skill. These are handicaps - complaining about them being unfair or too challenging means you should step down a handicap and perfect your strategies, then bump back up when you want a challenge.
G

hello guys, can someone explain me what exatly is the "trade route restriction" that venice ignores? i'm new to vp mod and forum, sorry if this is not the right place to ask about it

hello guys, can someone explain me what exatly is the "trade route restriction" that venice ignores? i'm new to vp mod and forum, sorry if this is not the right place to ask about it
Only one trade route from each civilization can be established in any city. This means that if you have already a trade route going to a city, you can't establish a second one with the same city. As Venice you can ignore this and send more than one trade route to the same city, departing from different cities of yours. It is not possible to have more than one trade route connecting the same two cities in the same direction.
Example, as Venice, if you have two puppets, you might send up to three trade routes to a neighbor's capital, one from Venice and one from each puppet. Other civs can only send one trade route to that capital.

Only one trade route from each civilization can be established in any city. This means that if you have already a trade route going to a city, you can't establish a second one with the same city. As Venice you can ignore this and send more than one trade route to the same city, departing from different cities of yours. It is not possible to have more than one trade route connecting the same two cities in the same direction.
Example, as Venice, if you have two puppets, you might send up to three trade routes to a neighbor's capital, one from Venice and one from each puppet. Other civs can only send one trade route to that capital.

oh thank you man, really helps me :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one asking this this morning, when a hotfix is only 2 brackets away....

but how do you compile, or 'open up' the dll to edit, in 2019, on windows 10?

did some googling, installed vs and sdk, then got stuck.

I have quick question, cannot find info anywere so I'll just post it here maybe someone can help me, if I build fort on a piece of land between 2 water titles will it work as a water crossing/canal for my ships? I have neet chocke point and that would be great to have fort there. If not I would have to build city in that place and its too close to my other city.

I have quick question, cannot find info anywere so I'll just post it here maybe someone can help me, if I build fort on a piece of land between 2 water titles will it work as a water crossing/canal for my ships? I have neet chocke point and that would be great to have fort there. If not I would have to build city in that place and its too close to my other city.
Yes, you can cross water. You may even join a fort and a citadel, for a two tiles canal, nothing more. So, the maximum is water - citadel - fort - city - fort - citadel. This way you can cross an isthmus of up to 5 tiles wide. But you sure can find easier canals.

Hi folks,

I've installed Steam on my C: drive, but i'm having to then install any Steam games onto an SD Card due to a disastrous lack of ROM on my work computer. Storage is unable to be upgraded due to a whole bunch of software licence issues etc etc that are work-related..

So.... i've installed Civ 5 Vanilla onto the now named D: drive (aka SD card), but when i run the VP .exe, i think it by default installs onto C (\\documents\mygames\.. or similar path. The game runs perfectly, but in the loading screen, a whole bunch of errors show up, and then the UI is totally useless at Turn 0 (literally nothing looks like it should except for the settler..). Has anyone tried to run VP from a different drive and got it working? If so, could you pleas respond an let me know how; alternatively, could someone very cluey and "techy" try it out or something and see if they can get it to run for me?

Muchas gracias, Baggins!

Hi @Baggins89,

I suppose you have chosen the version with EUI? From what you are describing, I gather the EUI is landing in the default (= wrong = C: ) location.

This problem has been resolved several times recently in the install thread:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/community-patch-how-to-install.528034/

Look for recent posts by me where I explain how to move EUI to the correct location.

PS: The linked thread is the correct one for asking questions about install problems, BTW.

This problem has been resolved several times recently in the install thread:

Sounds like the perfect candidate for adding to the Install section in the original post :)

Top Bottom