From demigod to klutz

Despite the negligent loss of a third army (not to worry, they are rolling off the production line every 7 turns) Athens fell once I adopted the right tactic of starving and isolating it and reducing the defenders sufficiently. Picked up Shakespeare, Newton, the Oracle and something else. Next stop, Corinth (for the gems) and then Sparta (for the UN). Then peace, perhaps. My oil ran out so I plonked a new town next door to one of India's and cultured theirs' away from them.

India will emerge as the main threat but has no uranium. May be difficult to stop her getting it via trade deals as no one will do deals with me right now.

And in the end, I won the space race pretty comfortably, after mincing the Greeks and then the bumptious Indians. So endeth these klutzian adventures. Now for some light relief at emperor level, perhaps with the Babylonians.

Hey, congrats! :goodjob:

And now from klutz to Deity... :D

Thanks Lanzelot. You, especially, have been extremely helpful and that is alongside some very informative and skilful posters (to whom thanks are also due). I am, or should be, grateful … but now I have the Deity thing nagging at me, dang it :( so I'm blaming you! In truth, I need a few more DG outings before even thinking about stepping up. In that game I had the most favourable start position (lots of space to expand into without being crowded by rivals), ivory (and consequently the SoZ) and an early GSL too. I fancy it will be a while before I see that combo again.

For light relief I am playing the Celts at emperor level. They are totally awesome (agri + Celtic swordsman) but the game is an absolute breeze, something I could not have said a few months ago. It's almost boring. Again, I blame you :D

Well done from me too! Will you let us know how you get on with the Emp-BabsCelts?

And just to let you know, I have been inspired by your struggles (and your little gibe some months back about me not playing at Deity yet ;) ), and I shall probably soon be trying to move up to DG myself, at long last.

If I can successfully steer my current attempt as the Koreans from the present (mid-Industrial, ~1650 AD) to a UN- or Space-win (do-able I think, so long as I can keep the tech-lead, now that I've finally got it), given the not particularly great start and my nearly crippling early mistakes/ mismanagement, I won't have many excuses left not to move up a level.
Spoiler :
Right now my main priority is therefore to prevent any further Sumerian expansion and/or put a big dent in Gil's troop numbers, while I race for MotorTransport (Tanks) and the Modern Age. It's a matter of national pride as much as anything... During the Russians' glorious last stand at Novgorod, I counted about 30 assorted light-blue Infs+Rillas+Cavs on Russian or ex-Russian lands -- and that's just the ones I could see.
So wish me luck...

Well done from me too! Will you let us know how you get on with the Emp-BabsCelts?

And just to let you know, I have been inspired by your struggles (and your little gibe some months back about me not playing at Deity yet ;) ), and I shall probably soon be trying to move up to DG myself, at long last.

If I can successfully steer my current attempt as the Koreans from the present (mid-Industrial, ~1650 AD) to a UN- or Space-win (do-able I think, so long as I can keep the tech-lead, now that I've finally got it), given the not particularly great start and my nearly crippling early mistakes/ mismanagement, I won't have many excuses left not to move up a level.
Spoiler :
Right now my main priority is therefore to prevent any further Sumerian expansion and/or put a big dent in Gil's troop numbers, while I race for MotorTransport (Tanks) and the Modern Age. It's a matter of national pride as much as anything... During the Russians' glorious last stand at Novgorod, I counted about 30 assorted light-blue Infs+Rillas+Cavs on Russian or ex-Russian lands -- and that's just the ones I could see.
So wish me luck...
I do indeed wish you good fortune tjs282. My remark was not intended as a jibe, btw. but more as a tribute to your amazing knowledge of the game.

The trouble with emperor and below, for me, has been that it has been possible to win without knowing that much. Playing DG has forced me to get to grips with the game at a much more detailed level, involving a lot of hand pain. There remains (vast) room for improvement, most especially in the conduct of offensive operations. Presently, I still move forward more or less in one irresistible but unsophisticated lump of metal, punctuated with the most egregious blunders. I can iron out the blunders just by taking more trouble but beyond that …

I started to see the game in phases corresponding with the ages, experimenting with differing paths through the tech tree. I went for philosophy right after writing and then Code of Laws as the free tech, all of which can be used to trade your way into the tech lead. In the middle ages, I formed no particularly successful plan. In the industrial age, I am pretty much fixed on: steam, industrialisation, medicine, electricity, scientific method (build the TofE and research sanitation before it's finished) then slider down to minimum and pick up replacement parts and atomic theory free before heading for the Hoover Dam.

This is more or less where I am with the Celts right now (I have achieved all the above IA aims) but in this game, being an emperor job, I managed the slingshot and went into anarchy in 950BC and pretty much stayed in front the whole way, mincing most of Greece and Byzantium along the way. I am now the game's super power waiting to see who emerges on top on the other continent. Probably going to be France. It's a breeze compared to DG.

I keep wondering what I'm good at and I think, if anything, it's proportionality. That's it. I have a good feel for how much stuff to put here and how much to put there, although I frequently undercook attacks due to fretting about the IA becoming monstrously powerful if I don't attack now!

Keep us posted on your DG efforts and remember to tell us about disasters and blunders:

A because we can all learn from them and
B they will make everybody laugh

And in the end, I won the space race pretty comfortably, after mincing the Greeks and then the bumptious Indians. So endeth these klutzian adventures. Now for some light relief at emperor level, perhaps with the Babylonians.

Congratulations. Nice job (and this is not just for the playing part but also for the posting one) .

I do indeed wish you good fortune tjs282. My remark was not intended as a jibe, btw.
I knew that. Really, I did ;)
but more as a tribute to your amazing knowledge of the game.
...but now I'm sure you're joking... :lol: :mischief: I'm learning at least as much as you from the real Pros...
The trouble with emperor and below, for me, has been that it has been possible to win without knowing that much. Playing DG has forced me to get to grips with the game at a much more detailed level, involving a lot of hand pain.
And now you're making me nervous... I'm not 100% convinced that I've mastered Emp yet as it is, and I expect to eat much humble-pie once I bump it up a notch...
*snip*Presently, I still move forward more or less in one irresistible but unsophisticated lump of metal, punctuated with the most egregious blunders.
So, much like certain modern militaries... ;)
I keep wondering what I'm good at and I think, if anything, it's proportionality. That's it. I have a good feel for how much stuff to put here and how much to put there, although I frequently undercook attacks due to fretting about the IA becoming monstrously powerful if I don't attack now!
I wish I had that problem! I'm almost the complete opposite: unwilling to commit to an attack until my strength is overwhelming -- by which point my target has often managed to reach Feudalism, Gunpowder, Nationalism, RepParts, or Computers...
Keep us posted on your DG efforts and remember to tell us about disasters and blunders:
Will do...
A because we can all learn from them and
B they will make everybody laugh
Well, I hope so.

tjs282 - none of the DG mysteries are unknown to you, to judge from your contributions. It may be you need to address that over-cautious approach. There are club chess players so chronically afraid of losing they will set out on a cold and windy February evening to some far away venue ostensibly to play chess but in reality to play 20 innocuous moves before offering a draw and going home. One guy told me he had a score in one season of +3 -2 =43. I am the complete opposite. It's all or nothing with me, which is why it was unusual for me in my recent win to back off and regroup when an attack encountered stronger than expected resistance. Normally, I just dash myself to pieces and then chuck in the towel.

Which is what I love about these games (chess and Civ) - they oblige you to come face to face with your own limitations. So go for it, says I. I am sure I will not be alone in cheering and laughing along.