FUND-raising

I assume the following is well-known among skilled players, but it might be helpful for people dropping by to look for improvement of their play and I just realized the whole effect of it during GOTM 121.

It is about raising money during fundamentalism (hence the title ;)). While in fundy, every citizen made content by a city improvement pays 1 gold. This may not seem much at first sight, but it goes much further: The point is, that there don't have to be any actual citizens to made content; this effect works on city-improvements, not citizens themselves! So even a city at size 1 would generate 2 gold for a temple (with mysticism) and 3 gold for a colosseum (before electronics, then 4).

Of course, you do not build temples or colosseums in a size-1-city, but this effect also works on Michelangelo's chapel (cathedral in every city) and Bach Cathedral (making two citizens content in every city). So you receive 4 (before communism) + 2 gold for every city, and if you have already built up an empire of 50 cities, you will be receiving 300g just because you have built those cities, the wonders and are running fundamentalism :eek:. Furthermore, nobody will be unhappy in fundy, so there is no need for luxuries and science is capped at 50%, so it makes sense to set 50% taxes, 50% science and no luxuries, giving you even more gold.

The downsight of this is that science can be done way more efficient in democracy, just as trade pay-outs, and that you need to be able to change to fundy, either by researching it or by building Statue of Liberty. The first comes rather late in the game, the latter requires 400 of shields, but it also allows to change government whenever you want, so no more restrictions to oedo-years.

This "FUND-raising" really helped me a lot in mid-game when I was short of gold. I guess this is a strategy applicable for only a few special games, but that GOTM was one of them.

A few notes are in order:

- In fundy the beaker output of your cities is halved before being applied towards your next tech. Thus when you set your science at 40% you are actually wasting 20% of your arrows. Keep in mind however that contributions from deliveries are not affected. For this reason some players set science at zero and just employ a single scientist to tip the tech box filled by deliveries. I often set it at 10% so as not to lose on a tech if the box is almost full.

- While it is true that you do not need luxuries to keep citizens happy in fundy, if you make enough of them happy for the city to go into celebration, they produce an extra arrow wherever one is generated (just like republic and democracy). This often more than pays for itself.

- While in fundy you will run out of ways to spend your money unless you spend a lot on bribing. Thus staying in fundy for a long time is not efficient. You should either switch to fundy and end the game with conquest or stay there just long enough to amass a fortune, neutralize your enemies, build infrastructure, and then switch to democracy.

Sure, this can be taken to a more scientific level and be called "Power Fundamentalism" (I read about that).

My point was, that in mid-game, before heavy-trade becomes an option (after Invention, before railroad & corporation), you can boost your treasury simply by building those wonders and having many cities with a few turns of fundamentalism.

- In fundy the beaker output of your cities is halved before being applied towards your next tech. Thus when you set your science at 40% you are actually wasting 20% of your arrows.

I am a little confused about that. What you described is what the manual says, however when I set the science-slider, there is no difference in turns/advances between 50% and 80%. So if science-output is halved, that would mean the real science-output would be 25% and 40%, which should result in different turns/advance-values (rough estimation, not really calculated through). Since there mostly is a difference between 50% and 40%, this lead me to believe, this was another inaccuracy of the civilopedia and science was actually capped at 50%.

I am a little confused about that. What you described is what the manual says, however when I set the science-slider, there is no difference in turns/advances between 50% and 80%. So if science-output is halved, that would mean the real science-output would be 25% and 40%, which should result in different turns/advance-values (rough estimation, not really calculated through). Since there mostly is a difference between 50% and 40%, this lead me to believe, this was another inaccuracy of the civilopedia and science was actually capped at 50%.
There are two unusual features of science in Fundy:

1. The rate cannot be set above 50%. Rather than enforce this on the slider, as is done with governments other than democracy, if you set the science rate above 50% the difference goes towards taxes.

2. Half of your beakers from cities go to waste.

Top Bottom