Future Unit?

Snakelover

Tank Commander
I made my first 3D 1/8 unit animation...It is a fire tank that I modeled myself with textures that are from Turbosquid.
What do you think?
EDIT:The lighting is off...Just to let you know.
Tank....gif

not a bad start, but ...
It is way too low in polygon count.
The shape is too boxy. All the edges need more slope to them.
The turret is too big and heavy in relationship to the tank. Fire tanks had very skinny barrels.
The treads do not look the right shape. I can tell you used a sphere and partially flattened it. Did you make this in Bryce? Perhaps you should make at least the treads in Truespace, so they can be roughly the right shape.
Maybe add some diffuse color that is olive... around 10-15%
More detailing elements are needed around the chassis. Since this is a "near" future tank, pick some existing tank or tanks to loosely base your design off of.

WOW! Bjornlo, you have quite a review there...:lol:
(This response is unusally long for my style.:run:)
Bjornlo said:
It is way too low in polygon count.
The shape is too boxy. All the edges need more slope to them.
The shape was intended to be that way, because it may end up in my mod as sort of a sci-fi super heavy armor tank.;)
Bjornlo said:
The turret is too big and heavy in relationship to the tank.
Really? I have seen old WW2 tanks with that style...
Bjornlo said:
Fire tanks had very skinny barrels.
I was thinking of the attack having someting more like a fiery explosion than a jet...
Bjornlo said:
The treads do not look the right shape. I can tell you used a sphere and partially flattened it. Did you make this in Bryce? Perhaps you should make at least the treads in Truespace, so they can be roughly the right shape.
Well...
I have neither Truespace nor Bryce. Only PPmodeler and OpenFX.:crazyeye:
Bjornlo said:
More detailing elements are needed around the chassis. Since this is a "near" future tank, pick some existing tank or tanks to loosely base your design off of.
I will do that for sure.:)

Truespace 3.2 is free.
If it is a fire breather, it should have a skinnier barrel.
If it is a rocket launcher, it should have a launcher.
If it is a ww2 tank, the barrel is just too large by more than double. More like triple or quadruple. The ratio of the tank barrel to the turret width really should be corrected.
If it is a near future tank, it should especially have more slope. Look at all modern tanks, especially the heavies. None are boxy. They need the shape to help deflect rounds. WW1 tanks were often boxy. ww2 tanks were more rounded. Modern tanks are more hard and linear, but with steep slopes.
A scifi tank would probably be an extension of a modern tank, with perhaps a nod to the a retro style (just for fun), but should not be a box.
My mistake on the treads. But, no matter what they were modeled in, they need to be flatter on the bottom or it is more of a rocking horse than armor.

Here is a quicky I threw together in Bryce.
I based it loosely on yours.. with a round turret and a boxy chassis, an odd combination. Plus the barrel is over sized... and there are some sort of exposed containers on the back end.
I made the turret lower and put a few more angles on the chassis.
Just food for thougt.

Well...
I tried modifying my tank, but to make it realistic, it would lose the flavor I tried to add. Also, I would have to redo all the work I did in OpenFx which took a long time to do...I wish it could be further worked on, though:cry:

But the next tank I do WILL look better.:)

No worries, not picking on you. Just trying to help out. If you want that hacked together one and have Bryce, I can send it to you. Where you could fiddle with it to make it more to your tastes. Or just consider it a design study based on your original model.
If OpenFX is a difficult modeler, there are quite a few easy ones. Might (?) be worth checking out.

I knew you were trying to help.:) I have PPmodeler, which is a good modeler to use when mastered.

Snakelover: Its your first unit? Good show man!!
and Ive got to say man, its a nice rendition done by the much more expierenced artist also. Cheers boyz :)

I have done other units before, but they are just color and Zoo Tycoon conversions, just to let you know.;)

Top Bottom