G-Major XI

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Ottomans (Suleiman)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8 (1.0.1.511)
  • Date: 2nd January to 1st February 2012
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Ottoman unique units and ability seems quite useless to me :s
I guess we have no team benefits this time :)

btw, i have a QUESTION: is there anyway to save the opponent civs(ex. India) when you reroll the map?

Lol. I tried around 6-7 times playing with the most peaceful nations I could think of and I still got the floor wiped with me. Rushing Oracle first and doing military later doesn't work apparently. Considering my highest win is Emperor this might be a bit of a stretch for me :p

Yeah the safiest route is going military first, whipe everyone on your continent and let them still alive to continue getting some RAs until ind. era.

Is there anyway to save the opponent civs(ex. India) when you generate the map?

i.e. if you reroll for a better starting location, is there any way to avoid having to set all the opponent settings again?, its kinda time consuming.

Okok, i see.

I manged to win a peaceful game that went really well in the beginning. I got all wonders I aimed for and did fine techwise.

However, my culture still felt a bit slow and the windate wasnt great so I guess a warlike domination start will produce better windate.

Giving this a try after playing the GotM. Plan is to load up with peaceful civs that I can swordrush. Two failed attempts so far, 1st no iron and 2nd time Harun was not so peaceful. So this is a low hit rate strategy, at least for me. Ugh all this rerolling.

I gave some tries since 2 days and i finally got something interesting. 3rd game had passed 80 turns, i finally decided to put land at low sea level and it reveals to be very beneficial.

I'm stuck in a sort of peninsula. 3 guys are on my continent and they gladly fight each other while they are friendly to me. My strategy consists in getting 2 other cities right after representation(1 built from capital and 1 bought). Then i gather 500 :c5gold: or enough gold to ally a cultural cs. That way, i can get the wonder bonus policy from Tradition right in time when i start the National college(after 3 libraries) around turn 55.

I'm now at turn 83, my next policy(7th one) in 2 turns will serve for a 4th city well placed north of my land around 8 iron, 1 silver and 1 gold(unique) ressource. This land is a real gem for this kind of victory. HS built very soon, i will put the PT in 2nd city and rush Sistine from Liberty finisher from Liberty in 3rd city. I'm pretty confident to finish this one.

My 2 real other tries were finished in a bloodbath. They were at medium sea level. I got eldorado once and got an amazing culture run(like 7 policies in 70 turns) with a very early cultural ally. But i was stuck in a wide open area with some difficulties to make other cities growing due to lack of food. I couldn't build a 4th one too. For my other try, i built the Oracle in my 2nd city and also got a nice culture run for 7 policies in around 80 turns. The problem is that Askia settled between 2 of my cities and cut off my trade route. I declared war to him but England joined the party some turns after. Fail.

Here is some toughts about this gauntlet :

-With an early culture ruin, it's possible to wait for representation before settling any other cities in only 33-34 turns. The capital has time to build a settler for turn 32-35 while selling everything to accumulate 500 :c5gold: in time too. Then you wait for representation to settle 2 new cities in 1 turn. I hard build libraries everytime. I prefer to keep :c5gold: for other things. Maybe it's not optimal? But at deity you never knows. I didn't try any other early policy paths. I really wanted to try representation before everything else for the long run.

-Pick multiple lux mines or calendar tiles starting locations. Otherwise everything will be much slower. And preferably settle directly on a ressource and beeline that tech for a fast trade.

-Archers are your best friends. I build 3-4 archers from my capital around turn 40 when i wait for other cities to finish their libraries.

-I saw HS built in only 90 turns once(el dorado try). Main reason why i quit that game(2 turns away) but it was tedious anyway. Beeline theology and build this damn wonder ASAP.

-Going full military and conquer the whole continent can take a big load of time and i'm not sure this is the way to go. You need to finish under 300 turns to keep a chance to win so this may be a big guess overall.

That's my first 100 turns thoughts. I know it's good to settle a 2nd city really fast then go for representation for 3rd and 4th city but i really like to put a worker around turn 17 and sell stuff to rich AIs.

It's nice to play these settings because i really didn't know how to handle deity and culture in the last GOTM and i learned a lot. Cultural alone is not my cup of tea.

Many good thoughts here, I think, Tabarnak. I have tried three games. Two of them I quitted because i didn't get important wonders. The third one went ok for a long time, but Gandhi won on science right when I had passed 29 policies.

I think I will finish the game I am playing now. I had much wood around my capital, so with the help of my workers I built two fast settlers in the capital and settled them between turn 30 and 35 right after I got representation. These two cities built libraries at once. Got my 4th city with my 4th policy between turn 45 and 50 I think. Bought a library in that city, then, with 4 libraries, I started with National College right after turn 50 and was finished around turn 70. When I got theology, my second city built the Oracle while my capital built Hagia. Used the Hagia engineer and the liberty finisher engineer to build Porcelain Tower and Notre Dame in city 3 and 4 around turn 85/90 if I remember right. I think Notre Dame is worth an engineer, but of course I could have saved him for Sistine Chapel or the Louvre. Sistine Chapel is not so difficult to get though, have managed to build that without any engineer each game. But the Louvre I never get, each game they build it before I get archeology.

Will try to finish this night. Need some units and castles I think, Napoleon has an incredibly amount of units, and he wants my cities:) Deity is very challenging and fun, nice with some deity gauntlets!

Many good thoughts here, I think, Tabarnak. I have tried three games. Two of them I quitted because i didn't get important wonders. The third one went ok for a long time, but Gandhi won on science right when I had passed 29 policies.

I think I will finish the game I am playing now. I had much wood around my capital, so with the help of my workers I built two fast settlers in the capital and settled them between turn 30 and 35 right after I got representation. These two cities built libraries at once. Got my 4th city with my 4th policy between turn 45 and 50 I think. Bought a library in that city, then, with 4 libraries, I started with National College right after turn 50 and was finished around turn 70. When I got theology, my second city built the Oracle while my capital built Hagia. Used the Hagia engineer and the liberty finisher engineer to build Porcelain Tower and Notre Dame in city 3 and 4 around turn 85/90 if I remember right. I think Notre Dame is worth an engineer, but of course I could have saved him for Sistine Chapel or the Louvre. Sistine Chapel is not so difficult to get though, have managed to build that without any engineer each game. But the Louvre I never get, each game they build it before I get archeology.

Will try to finish this night. Need some units and castles I think, Napoleon has an incredibly amount of units, and he wants my cities:) Deity is very challenging and fun, nice with some deity gauntlets!

Have some similar paths, Oracle being built way too soon for me. I did save a ge for Sistine and i managed to build The Louvre. Everyone is still very friendly(open borders for 50 :c5gold:, full 240 :c5gold: lux selling, etc), even Harun who is 1st and is very close from my peninsula. I forgot to build Sistine in another city, only 2 cities have the 33% bonus form wonders but i will start Sydney pretty soon in a city with no such bonuses. I'm 1st in techs and i'm making enough money. I'm currently at turn 190, playing this game very slowly since turn 140....i bought Skyrim a few days ago :)

I'm not sure if i can finish this under 300 turns though. I will also hope for no runaway AI or early victories from them. Cultural + Deity is always a real challenge. If i can finish this game i will at least be in top 3 :lol:

I will finish under 300 if I manage to win this game. But it will be challenging, important to have enough defense when they start to get tanks&artillery.

Abandonned at turn 295. 2 and half policies left(around 25 turns left) before Utopia. Hiwatha and Harun fighting to which one will launch a spaceship. They are both in future era, 1 part left...ok bye bye. Cya next major gauntlet.

Lesson : Deity+cultural? Less than 300 turns AT LEAST. If not, just quit the game unless you are the big warmonger of course. I have not played enough cultural games to make a solid plan, at least at deity.

I screwed 5-6 hours of my precious life ! :cry:

deity is annoying. turn 273 is impressive... hell, any finish is impressive.

I gave up on the swordrushing approach. I had one game where I was able to cheaply take 2 enemy capitals, but my position afterwards wasn't so great. In particular the luxury trading position was terrible. This approach might produce a strong game but it requires such a combination of luck that it basically feels like cheating to me.

I wonder maybe actually using the UA for a frigate rush...

Top Bottom