G-Minor 17

I think marble is much more important that any other resources before 1AD. I don't mind I can't see any stone yet, soon I will have copper for colossus (what is a cheap wonder anyway) and that's enough for a while. Wonders needing stone can wait for 500-1000 AD.

Marble is key, if you are in Warlords build the Temple of Artemous in your capital ASAP and the G lighthouse there (or somewhere else) and a harbour, you'll get almoust 40 gold/turn from trade routes and once that is multiplied through capital bonus and sci bonuses it is well over 100 beakers/turn. I tech to obsolete the GL and T of Art as late as possible (after computers)

Good luck

And it helps to have more benefits from parthenon.

Anyway, I had to finish my game in 700 AD what I mentioned, because I was more than unlucky with GP's. I generated about 8 of them, the chance of getting a scientist was always about 50%, but I take none of them. I will have to pay more attention to this problem, however I hope I won't be so unlucky that I received 0 instead of 4!

In 700 AD, my capital still produced 55-60% of bulbs, so having an academy would mean + 15-20% bulb. Any other scientist are not so important.

I will try again sometime soon. Ghandi and I launched in the mid-1700s, not a very good result. The key like mentioned before, is fast expansion. Use Liberalism for something expensive. Alphabet is not so high of a priority unless you get a pangea like map; if it is indeed archipelago, the AIs wont know enough of each other to trade early techs. When I find a new map, I will probably try the Inca or Mansa.

Hm...well attempting to pay more attention to settling Great People, the Temple of Artemis, and about to test out the Spiral Minaret, Angkor Wat, and Academy of Sankore strat with an omnipresent religion(founded Hinduism)...I'm teching faster thus far than I've ever done before...in 1000AD, I've already researched Economics and I'm just about able to research Liberalism in a single turn, but am currently holding off on researching it.

What are the pros/cons of holding off on researching Liberalism as long as possible to get a more advanced free tech? Is it worthwhile?

Edit: I'm playing as Inca(Warlords) and expanded pretty fast...9 cities before 1AD. I've got one more city site I need to settle still and I'm running minimal military because I've converted every AI except Izzy to Hinduism, and I don't expect anyone to go Free Religion(thus making me immune from war declarations from anyone except Izzy, who is mutually hated by everyone and only has 3 cities thanks to an early stagnating war on her in which I parked a Quechua next to Madrid while everyone else expanded for 1000 years)

I suck. My second attempt at this and I have still managed to get to 2000 AD without launching my rocket. News flash: The Internet is useless at Warlords level...... Don't bother beelining to Fibre Optics like you might do at Monarch level. :(

to answer my own question...the only tech Liberalism appears to block completely if unresearched is Communism, which isn't needed for Space Race....so keep it unresearched as long as possible lol.

However, now I run into the difficulty of putting off Chemistry for a reasonable amount of time(obsoletes Temple of Artemis, but required to reach Rocketry!)

My final attempt for this Minor: 1842 Victory. I shaved almost a full century off my previous attempt, but several goofups in my late research path(thinking the Elevator was reached by Satellites, failing to research the 4 techs before Industrialism until after researching Fusion, failing to research the 4 techs before Robotics so I could use the GE from Fusion lol)

Basically, I lost a lot of time at the end...oh yeah, and I build the National Epic in Cuzco, forgetting I needed to build the Ironworks there...that also cost me a few turns during construction. On the plus side...I got about 20 Great People, all but 4(2 academies, 2 GEs rushing Elevator) of which were settled in Cuzco, giving me a surplus at 100% research the entire game and over 600 beakers/turn along with nearly 100 hammers/turn at the end. I also failed to build the Great Library early...I didn't build it until almost 500AD because I didn't prioritize Alpha, and didn't realize I hadn't built it yet until nearly 400AD.

My bottleneck was still producing the Apollo Program though...I built all my parts within 30 turns of finishing the Program and took 40 turns to build the Program(a shame...I researched fast enough to use Liberalism on Satellites before 1400AD too)

i tried a similar strat, but without choosing a religion, finishing in 1844... i think there have been four major problems in this game (apart from some dumb decisions)... firstly, the starting position was not really good (1 fish, 1 gold, 6 floodplains), secondly, the only thing wothwhile i got from huts was one worker, thirdly, i didn't get a GS until physics, and finally i didn't expand enough, i stagnated at 7 cities so at around physics techspeed was not as fast as before... production was almost no limiting factor in this game...

Marble is key, if you are in Warlords build the Temple of Artemous in your capital ASAP and the G lighthouse there (or somewhere else) and a harbour, you'll get almoust 40 gold/turn from trade routes and once that is multiplied through capital bonus and sci bonuses it is well over 100 beakers/turn. I tech to obsolete the GL and T of Art as late as possible (after computers)

Good luck

Yes marble is the key my best attemp is 1740 with inca.
How were you obsolate TOA after computers?

I had to obsolate it before Scienc M.

Hwo has the best date now? Is the les than 1700?

My savegame with the finishing date 1980 A.D. was excluded. Maybe I have accidentally reload a savegame.
Now, I will start a new game and I will play the whole night.
I hope, that you all wish me good luck.

1834, which is a record for me. I could have shaved a few turns off that if I'd better orgnasied the building of spaceship parts better but I'm still pretty happy with it.

I used the Temple of Artemis/Great Lighthouse combo and the biggest problem was, despite having the Great Library in my capital, all those GP and GM points meant that I didn't get a GS until Phsyics (although I then popped two after that). Running more scientists would have been the way to counter that problem.

I was fairly violent and becuase of the huge tech lead that Warlords dificulty allows was able to send Macemen running around with little fear of reprisals. Despite starting on a poxy little island big enough for three cities, I ended up killing off two rivals (including an iron free Augustus) and comfortably held the top spot all game.

The tech charge meant that once I got going I streaked ahead of the remaing two rivals and only traded with them for useless techs for the points. I used LIberalism to take Robotics and only then to speed along the building of the space elevator and because there wasn't anpther tech worth more. Both my rivals had neither Paper or Philosophy at that point!

All in all, a good challenge and, despite the low difficulty, a great way to hone my skills. Having spent the last few months bashing my head against a wall tryiong to move up difficulty levels and becoming very jaded about Civ, thsi has rekindled interest in the game for me. Didn't hurt that my first attempt also got me my League of Nations spot so just a G-Major and the top half of the Inferno to go!

Yes marble is the key my best attemp is 1740 with inca.
How were you obsolate TOA after computers?

I had to obsolate it before Scienc M.

Hwo has the best date now? Is the les than 1700?

I waited awhile to obsolete it too, unfortunately, that cost me a few turns...it gets obsoleted with Chemistry...and without Chemistry, you can't reach Rocketry or Industrialism.

However, I think I could have done much better than I did despite that setback...to demonstrate that...I went back and won a diplo victory around 1300AD...about 550 years before I usually am able to lol. My lategame is very horrible, as I generally have either lost or am going Diplo by the time I leave the Renaissance.

May I ask what are the basis on which you decide whether to build the Space Elevator or not?

1680AD launch by Elizabeth, Vanilla. 11 hours.
Sneaky continents.
War: the only AI in my continent had to die.
Huts:1worker,0settlers.
Cities:15. Only 6 by 1AD.
Trade: I didn't gift them techs so that they could research something useful.
Wonders: Pyramids-Oracle(CS)-GLIB-Oxford-IW-SE.
Very slow settling cities. Lost my whole army of 4 Swords against 2 Archers around 1AD. Built the SpaceElevator for no special reason. It didn't make much of a difference.

With the number of cities I had, production wasn't the bottleneck, in fact, most of my productive cities were idle. My research was nothing spectacular.
It took me ages to build Oxford, as late as 1080AD. :cry:

Tech pace: 180bpt 1AD. 600bpt 1000AD. 1700bpt 1500AD. 2700bpt 1680AD.

More experience, more thought and more than double number of cities made me save off only 14 turns! :confused: :confused: :confused:

My bottleneck is Science, given that I cannot rely on the AI to help me research anything. I am researching things at about 6-10 turns per tech. How do I ramp up to get to the massive 2700 bpt you are getting at 1680 AD? I'm not getting that at 1900 AD.

Submitted my non-brilliant first attempt, in a so-so map as Ramesses, 1892.
If i have time, i'll try with Lizzy.
Bad luck with GP, 3 GProphets (1 is OK for the shrine, but 3...)
Something to rethink in the late tech path, too.

May I ask what are the basis on which you decide whether to build the Space Elevator or not?

Doing my usual thing of answering a question regardless of whether it has been directed at me or not. For me it depends on my number and location of production cities and GE posibilities. If I have few production cities and no GE chance I'll probably not bother as it can tie up a city for a long time when it could actually just build parts. If I have plenty of cities and a GE coming up or to hand then I'll go for the soace elevator. Not sure if this is a sensible plan or not; somebody clever than me care to enlighten?

I generally build it because a +50% increase in parts being built everywhere is pretty handy, especially when I don't usually seem to be able to produce more than 1 or 2 good production cities.

In this game, I built it in 3 turns, thanks to popping a GE, using it to start the Elevator, and then using the GE from Fusion on the 3rd turn. I don't generally build it at all though unless I can rush it with either massive cash or a GE(or both) because it can take a long time to build(although again, it would have taken just 15 turns to build it without using any rushing at all thanks to my giant production in Cuzco.

@Harbourboy: I wasn't making anywhere near his last science levels, I think I was researching at about 1600 bpt from around 1300AD on...cause I was able to research Liberalism in a single turn(1500 beakers), but took anywhere from 3-6 turns on the very last technologies, depending on overflow.

I gifted my AIs Currency as soon as I could to give them extra trade routes(since I had too many trade routes as it was) But I just didn't seem to increase in research rate at all later on...I'm curious to know how Jesusin did it as well.

My final reserach rate was about 3000bpt. However, in 1420 it was only about 1000. Both times I looked at 100% science rather than a stable level (ie one where I was either breaking even or had a sustainable loss). The former wasn't too much different but the 1420 figure was post war and I was reduced to 60% for quite a while.

I'm not surre whether it is my building choices and strategy or reserach path that slows me down. In my commerce cities I build (roughly in order of priority) a grannary, library, university, lab, courthouse and any buldings needed to deal with happiness/health issues (this last category gets shifted up in importance as needed). In all my attemps so far I have tried to turn my capital into a science city and in addition to the above named buildings I have also built the Great Library, Oxford University and an Academy. In my last game I also built the Pyramids and switched to Representation. I also tried to run at least one scientist in each of my science cities although I never sure if this is better than simply allowing faster growth.

Any advice on this as a straegy would be greatly apprecited.

I forgot to add GPP info:
16farmed GP+3 free ones.
2Academies, 2 merchant missions, 1GA, 2GE used for production, the rest of them settled in capital but the 2 latest GS who lightbulbed.

Doing my usual thing of answering a question regardless of whether it has been directed at me or not. For me it depends on my number and location of production cities and GE posibilities. If I have few production cities and no GE chance I'll probably not bother as it can tie up a city for a long time when it could actually just build parts. If I have plenty of cities and a GE coming up or to hand then I'll go for the soace elevator. Not sure if this is a sensible plan or not; somebody clever than me care to enlighten?

The question was directed to everybody. Thank you for answering, synthboy. Quite a sensible answer. I tend to agree, since I had so many production cities it didn't matter if I tied up one of them.

@Thrallia: Thanks for your answer too. I don't see the +50% as crucial. Your main cities have a lot of multiplier already, forge, factory, power, lab, IronWorks, maybe bureaucracy... Another 50% on top of that doesn't make a big difference.

Now, as for the research pace:
@Harbourboy: the 2700bpt/1680AD figure is irrelevant. I was doing 1700bpt a few turns before, in 1500AD and I didn't research anything usefull from 1500AD on.
A few details so that you can compare with your game: half of research came from the capital at 1500AD. I was running Repre-Burea-Slavery(shouldn't I?)-FreeM(shouldn't I?)-Pacifism. Dozens of mature cottages and Statue of Liberty. Oh, and I give my figures when in 100% research, although I had to run 80% sometimes.

In fact I consider that my research rate was so-so. The important figure to compare with is 1AD. My figure is quite unimpresive, isn't it?

Top Bottom