G-Minor 24

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+2](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Warlord
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Oasis
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Must include Inca (Huayna Capac), Rome (Augustus Caesar), Rome (Julius Caesar)
  • Version: 2.13.001
  • Date: 26th July to 9th August 2007
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Another Oasis map eh? Seems like only yesterday I was doing my first gauntlet (GMinor17 I think it was with Montezuma domination on standard size Oasis).

I see the opponents have been hand picked to avoid early easy Quecha/Praetorian rushes. I'm guessing Egypt or Persia will be the hot favourites for this one then. EDIT: I'm also thinking Korea might be good (Hwachas are very good), or Carthage for that matter to mop up after an early axe rush when facing Praets.

So is this one is to be played with the new patch then? Better finish WOTM11 first in that case.

If I try this, I think I may give Genghis a shot, since I have not played him recently and he has a good set of "warmongering" traits and a good early UU. Egypt is another good choice (as is Persia, but I just recently played Cyrus and I will want to try Darius for my next Persian game). However, it is hard to justify taking time to play a Warlords game when there is so much new stuff to learn and explore in BTS!

Just remembered there are no horses in the south where you start on an Oasis map so Egypt might not be a good choice (since the UU is just 1 tech away).

China could be a contender too, metal casting from Oracle and then use an Engineer to get Machinery. They'll eat Praets for breakfast.

I might try raging barbs and build the great wall like WOTM9 which got me my only conquest win to date.

515 AD with Shaka. Researched Bronze Working off the bat, but had to settle a 2nd city to get any copper. Got it connected and hit Isabella with 5 impi, captured Madrid. Moved on to Caesar *just* as he was about to connect iron. Captured the worker building the road from the mine! Eliminated Caesar, moved on to Bismarck, taking out a settler guarded by archer and warrior along the way. Bismarck down, on to HC, taking two outlying cities immediately and closing in on Cuzco from two sides.

None of my opponents ever connected copper or iron. Catapults and Impi and a scattered Axeman were all I used on anyone but HC. By the time I got to him I'd assembled a 2nd force including war elephants. Overkill, to say the least.

I did not include both Caesars, did not see Augustus on there :blush:

I noticed the incomplete posting before I left work, before it had any map or speed requirements, and the victory condition was Score. I think at that time it only said Julius and HC, and when I got home and read the updated list I must've glossed over Auggie.

Wasn't planning to submit this one anyway, it was more of a practice run to get the feel of the Oasis map, which I've never played on before.

I see the opponents have been hand picked to avoid early easy Quecha/Praetorian rushes.
Yes, I think the major strategic decision in this one is picking your Civ. That's always a big decision, but maybe not as obvious as usual.

ISo is this one is to be played with the new patch then?
Yes.

However, it is hard to justify taking time to play a Warlords game when there is so much new stuff to learn and explore in BTS!
We do expect a drop in submissions until we get BTS legal.

Is this only Warlords and is the G-Major only vanilla?
For the moment. The Major may go combo...

How long before the old patch is phased out for other HOF games? EDIT: Never mind, I saw the answer in the major thread, about a month.

Someone mentioned a disappearing stonehenge bug (another civ built it and it was taken away from his civ) with the new patch, anyone else seen that one? EDIT: See this thread... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233827

The more I think about it the better China is sounding to me EDIT: They need iron as well though... amd don't get city raider promo... hmm. Although Impis are pretty tempting too. I think horses being in the north only rules out Egypt for a super early chariot attack.

well, other than the major/minor HOF games, and the GOTMs I'll be playing BtS exclusively :) Its definitely my favorite expansion pack yet!

China could be a contender too, metal casting from Oracle and then use an Engineer to get Machinery. They'll eat Praets for breakfast.

I'm guessing the winner of the gauntlet will have finished before the 1st Praet shows up. ;)

I haven't decided if I'll try this minor or not. Getting a win on the major may be a full time job...

I know, I just don't think I'll be winning this gauntlet but it will fill a few more slots in my HOF table (epic & conquest, already done Oasis in a previous minor), so will probably give China and Zulu a whirl. I think Zulus will be the best for an early win myself, there's iron to be pillaged in the 2 Romes!

No vanlla disc at the moment and I don't fancy doing my first deity game with culture so I'll probably give it a miss. I'll be watching with interest to see if anyone can pull off a 1000AD or less finish in that one.

A tip: The "better" AI seems to fervently attack scouts in their territories with archers, leaving a lone warrior to fight off any Impis around.

Play-this-Minor howto:

Agressive civ w/o starting Hunting (so you have an extra warrior instead of scout), move settler towards Map centre to get sooner to your enemies (settler moves faster than warrior), find high-production place (Marble/Stone plains hill with another 3hamemr tile nearby is optimal), spam warriors, kill AI. The locations of AI are obvious, starting capital defenders can be killed with 2-3 warriors (1 with luck). Huts may provide you more warriors. The luckiest wins.

Play-this-Minor howto:

Agressive civ w/o starting Hunting (so you have an extra warrior instead of scout), move settler towards Map centre to get sooner to your enemies (settler moves faster than warrior), find high-production place (Marble/Stone plains hill with another 3hamemr tile nearby is optimal), spam warriors, kill AI. The locations of AI are obvious, starting capital defenders can be killed with 2-3 warriors (1 with luck). Huts may provide you more warriors. The luckiest wins.
Or use scouts, pop settler, settle on copper closest to most AIs with this second city and move warriors there to upgrade to Impis with all the hut money you have.

Hmm - is there a replacement choice for Augustus in Vanilla or do I have to skip this Gauntlet?

It seems to be Warlords-only version.

Top Bottom