G-Minor 85

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Diplomatic (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Starting Era: Any
  • Map Size: Duel
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Must include America (Franklin Roosevelt), China (Mao Zedong)
  • Version: 1.74.004, 2.13.004 or 3.19.001
  • Date: 25th November to 10th December 2009
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Question: Do Apolistic Palace election victories count as Diplomatic victories, or are they Religious victories only?

I have no experience with duel maps, but this one screams OCC right?
Philo leader and Oracle Edu and LibRadio sounds doable.

I've had a go at this one, playing as Elizabeth using Vanilla Civ4 so that I could self-vote myself the winner.

Despite building the UN in 1538 AD my poor 'diplomacy' (aka, taking everyone's cities for the population boost) slowed my victory to 1604 AD.

I have no experience with duel maps, but this one screams OCC right?
Philo leader and Oracle Edu and LibRadio sounds doable.

Yes, Edu and Radio is doable. But I doubt OCC is easy - too low Population in the single city. Remember that you partner should have less pop then UN opponent.

I've made a try of this gauntlet. I've played just 1 Diplo-game 3 years ago so I'm novice with such victory. In my game (Epic speed) Diplo Victory election was triggered after 8 turns of General Secretary election... is it right?
I used Great Plain map just for save my time. 4 cities, health problems, no cottages, max science output was around 500 bpt with GA.
I won before 1000AD.

Please note that this gauntlet won't be eligible for EQM purposes (as it is duel map) but is of course eligible for QM purposes. As such, I threw any starting era in there.

But the starting era challenge isn't part of QM, is it? :confused: From what I can see on the HoF site, Rock of Ages is only part of the EQM.

Ok, I made a mistake and I hope it won't cause my attempt to not be accepted. This is my first gauntlet, in fact, my first HoF attempt. And while I read through the rules/FAQ several times it appears I've had a brain fart.

Upon starting I didn't save until after I had moved my warrior and built my city. I didn't realize until much later, after several hours of playing that I was supposed to have saved before I did anything. I hope this won't be a problem and you'll cut me some slack for being a newbie. I didn't even use mapfinder and it was the very first map I loaded with the settings so I wasn't trying to get any sort of advantage. I think I was so excited for a coastal start with several seafood, marble, and wheat in the BFC that saving slipped my mind and I founded right away.

So, I'll get down on my knees if I have to, but please let me submit. I doubt that I'll be one of the top placers anyway and I've learned my lesson. I've already got several hours into the game.

Alright, I figured I'd post my plea here for what it's worth.

Spoiler :

Btw, as far as strategy, I decided to choose a terra map figuring that I'd get to Astronomy first. And then if necessary, I could create a friend that would vote for me by granting colonies their independence. Heh, guess I shouldn't be disclosing my strategy because I think it's pretty strong for this scenario.

Right now, I've settled all the good city spots in the New World and the others are just getting to astronomy. I've got more cities in the New World than the Old and State Property has eliminated all distance and colony maintenance. Not to mention that it's Mao's favorite civic. ;)

I've never warred but very early I got Mao to declare on FDR so they were worst enemies for a very long time. Yeah, the -2 hurts me with the Americans, but they are relatively equal in pop. Mao is in second but I figure I can gift a few NW cities to FDR to make him the opponent for the vote and then that's game. Unfortunately, I had to run most of the game with no state religion because I couldn't get the Buddhism and Taoism I founded to spread into enough enemy cities. And they were both Jewish forever and it never spread to a single one of my cities. So I'm unable to get any diplo points through religion. But I've still got Mao to +9 and once he gets Communism and switches to State Property he'll vote for me. I just got physics and I'm picking up biology for the pop boost before beelining to Mass Media. I think I stopped around 1400 AD, but I can't remember for sure.

When you start a new game the AutoSave_Initial_xxxx save is created in the Auto folder. Check it.

Lol, d'oh, I should have known that. Duh. Anyway, I got a PM and it's taken care of. As long as the save is from 4000 BC it doesn't really matter. I can't believe I didn't think of the autosave. No worries.

Well, for some reason I suck at this game. I've been playing Civ since 1992 yet I still suck.

For this reason, I don't usually play Prince level.

So on about my eighth try I actually came close to getting a Diplo victory with this Gauntlet, even though it would not have come close to winning the Gauntlet.

So it's the year 2012... Roosevelt is dead, I need 91 votes to win Diplo victory. Mao votes for himself, I vote for myself... with my 90 votes. That's right, I had 90 votes of my own, 91 needed.

Two turns later, Mao wins cultural to which I exclaim "God Dammit!"

I had given Mao everything I could including probably over 50,000 gold.

I just don't understand Diplo Victory or Religious Victory. Why would the computer vote for you to win? I know damned well I don't care what the PC does for me I would never vote for them to win.

So how do you do it? How do you get the PC to simply give you the win?

Thanks,

Well, for some reason I suck at this game. I've been playing Civ since 1992 yet I still suck.

If you play this one in van [civ4] you can self-vote yourself to victory. Eliminate 1 of the 2 civs and make sure you have around 66% of the world population, without triggering the land domination limit.

In order for a civ to vote for you they can't be on the ballot and you need at least a +10 relationship with them. That's pretty much all it takes. Killing off one of your opponents was what did you in. You need to keep them both alive and you need to keep the one who is third in pop very happy with you. At least in BTS where you can't vote yourself a victory. Am I the only one who played this in BTS?

If you're in the situation where you picked the wrong guy to be your friend. This happened to me when I played. All you need to do is gift some of your cities to the AI that won't vote for you to get their population up so your friend will be knocked off the ballot. If this tactic doesn't work you can make them war and use spies to aid your "enemy". I had to use both in my game.

Mao was boxed in early so I thought for sure he'd end up third in population. But I didn't know there were several islands that were reachable by galley that he was able to expand into. He ended up with a slight pop edge over FDR toward the end game. So, I gifted a few cities to FDR and had Mao DoW him making sure that I made Mao's border city revolt the turn before FDR attacked. I also fomented unrest and poisoned the water in several of Mao's cities a few turns earlier. That put FDR over the edge and gave him number two in pop. Two turns later we voted for Diplo victory. Mao was at +14 or so with me even though he had previously caught two of my spies.

Am I the only one who played this in BTS?

I've also played BtS. On Duel map it's very easy. I've adopted Roosevelt's religion (Hinduism, random spreading), give to him all he demanded and trade for techs. So I have more then +10 with him. Mao was Buddist and he always had minus in relation with me and Roosevelt. I have 50+% of population and Roosevelt's vote was enough for me. I just give to Mao my additional city to force him as my opponent of Diplo Victory.

I got GE for UN but my target city was not big enough so I should add some forests there. But I made mistake in Workers moves and built UN only 3 turns later.

For Prince level and Duel map Scince rate isn't so critical. I had Gold and Gems in my Capital (+second Gems popped at the end) and none Cottages. In common it's not right but there I've learnt Mass Media near 500AD with just my Science 300-500 bpt and several GS.
Oxford in BC, don't remember exactly now.

Top Bottom