G-Minor CLXXII

I am all for the kind of ideas zenmaster suggests. As an example, after having tried the CV with Venice on Prince/Tiny Islands, I tried the same settings with Shaka and restricted myself to one self founded city. I actually finished the CV faster (t170 vs t192) with Shaka than with Enrico even if the starting location was worse, albeit including some naval warmongering (Moson Kahni was just awesome). Maybe there could be self-imposed limitations (have to take certain policies) or a requirement to achieve something (build a certain wonder or found a religion)? Or am I altering the spirit of the Gauntlets too much?

I think the only special settings the system can identify are one city challenge and required opponents i.e. settings chosen before the game actually begins. In game restrictions are not possible, other than specifying victory condition of course.

Which leads me to wonder: is victory condition:any specification possible? Have never seen one so I doubt it. Might make an interesting gauntlet if the other settings were done well.

I like zenmaster's any-civ suggestion, though I'd definitely include Poland as an opponent too.

Victory condition: Any sounds interesting, I'm having a hard time trying to come up with settings where the fastest win condition wouldn't be obvious though. Deity/Continents is one option I suppose, but Deity gauntlets usually don't generate much interest.

I enjoyed Time games with a turn limit in the GOTM section, would something like that be possible in HOF? "Max turns" is listed as a disallowed setting, I'm guessing it'd mess with the tables?

Last edited:
I like zenmaster's any-civ suggestion, though I'd definitely include Poland as an opponent too.

Doh! I was just going off memory and forgot perhaps the best science victory civ!

Poland, Korea, Babylon, Spain, Shoshone, would be musts on an any civ science victory challenge trying to eliminate the usual suspects.

As for settings on a "victory condition any" challenge, perhaps you are right about any good nonDeity settings. I did not give it much thought when the idea cropped up. If looking for a Deity major challenge, it may be an interesting one at least.

I think the only special settings the system can identify are one city challenge and required opponents i.e. settings chosen before the game actually begins. In game restrictions are not possible, other than specifying victory condition of course.

Which leads me to wonder: is victory condition:any specification possible? Have never seen one so I doubt it. Might make an interesting gauntlet if the other settings were done well.

Yes, there is a list of available constraints, mostly from the check boxes at the bottom of the Advanced Setup page. Tomorrow morning I'll provide that list, plus I'll check out the any-vic idea. (I have a RL thing going right now, think it will be finished later today.)

Thanks, made a comment in the other thread.

Note that December gauntlets are not showing up in the HoF Gauntlets tab anywhere. Not in the dropdown menu. Hopefully they appear when resolved?

Also, Happy Chinese New Year all! Wishing everyone a prosperous Year of the Rat.

Thanks, made a comment in the other thread.

Note that December gauntlets are not showing up in the HoF Gauntlets tab anywhere. Not in the dropdown menu. Hopefully they appear when resolved?

Try looking now - I, uh, un-unchecked the "visible" box...

The following are the results of G-Minor CLXXII. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

Rank Player Date Turn Score
zenmaster 225 AD 124 4000
2 Nizef 1800 AD 270 2301
3 Sir Bugsy 1922 AD 342 5330

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Map Size: Huge
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Morocco (Ahmad al-Mansur)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st December 2019 to 31st January 2020
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom