G-minor LI

what time do you guys enter and finish freedom?

In a good game liberty will usually finish 36-45 turns before finishing the game.

In a good game, the final policies will probably take 5 turns each (with perhaps the occasional one taking 6). Utopia takes 1 to 5 turns (though I never managed 1). In what I assume is the most common strategy, you will have one full policy branch and one or two policies from an almost finished policy branch to complete. This means 7-8 policies plus utopia, i.e. 36 -45 turns.

Will do as soon as the game is accepted - just submitted it and had a crash midgame.

As far as I recall, it was a nice, but not spectacular desert hills/river/mountain/marble starting position.

If the attachments function works, there should be 2 screenshots with this post now: Turn 0 and turn 195.

And looking back, it does look quite nice indeed. Not having to move to find it already saved me 1 or 2 turns.

Attachments

• Monty turn 0.jpg
    Monty turn 0.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Monty turn 195.jpg
    Monty turn 195.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 179
27 submissions - what's the most submissions been typically for gauntlets?

i've been here for a few, seems like there is more and more competing players though which is great!

Results:

G-Minor LI - Culture, Prince, Standard, Terra, Standard, Aztec (Montezuma) [G&K] (check options)
1st HideInLight - 1515 AD T-213
2nd Salomo - 1540 AD T-218
3rd vexing - 1615 AD T-233

Congratulations!

Congrats HideInLight!

With all the silence in the thread I was already expecting to be beaten, but I'm glad that it was by a whole five turns, not just one.

Thx Salomo :) Gratz to you too, it was pretty tough to beat your time. Gave this gauntlet about 6 full playthroughs and God knows how many rerolls :) And I really had a great starting position to get this finish time, check screenshots if you like. Too bad I only had 1 cultural CS on the mainland, with 3 there I might have maybe gotten under T-210.

Attachments

• GMinorLI213_1.jpg
    GMinorLI213_1.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 93
  • GMinorLI213_2.jpg
    GMinorLI213_2.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 99
Thx Salomo :) Gratz to you too, it was pretty tough to beat your time. Gave this gauntlet about 6 full playthroughs and God knows how many rerolls :) And I really had a great starting position to get this finish time, check screenshots if you like. Too bad I only had 1 cultural CS on the mainland, with 3 there I might have maybe gotten under T-210.

That was 4 playthroughs more than me then - the effort alone is worth the medal :)

We seem to have had different strategies: I see no holy sites and a lot less mines than I had on my final turn. To speed up Utopia, I built a lot of mines in my endgame.

What did you do with your prohets and how long did you take for utopia?

It took me 2 turns to build Utopia. My city had a huge production even with those few mines - 290 hpt for wonders.

I did have 1 holy site (at the bottom right, a knight standing on the hex), but for the most part I tried spreading religion for World Church. And also, I probably had less faith than you because my start was only partial dessert, not dessert all around. And maybe also because I managed to open freedom about ideally when I had saved up just under enough faith for my next GP, so it all went for a quick faith GA.

And yea, next time I probably wont give it that much effort to get a gold medal :) One reason being that this particular gauntlet was very much to my liking (cultural occ games are my favorite) and the other that weather finally started being good here recently and I am going to spend more time golfing or doing other activities outdoor.

nice job guys, 213 must be nearing the limit.
i only played out a non mountain petra start, and it ended up with only 3 cultural cs. got bored with rerolling.

did either of you use honor?

Not in my best game. But I tried using Honor in 2 previous attemts and it didnt seem quite worth it. It definitely helped a bit in the beginning to get some early policies faster, but later on the extra golden age and the extra great person from liberty proved to be a better choice, at least for my strategy.

nice job guys, 213 must be nearing the limit.
i only played out a non mountain petra start, and it ended up with only 3 cultural cs. got bored with rerolling.

Thanks - I still believe under 200 is possible with good luck and practice, but that might require a lot of time.

I tried honour in my initial tries for 30-50 turns to test it, but it didn't seem worthwhile. It is far more important to grow in order to get to industrialism fast. In fact, I think one of the reasons HideInLight won faster than I did probably was that he teched faster.

It took me 2 turns to build Utopia. My city had a huge production even with those few mines - 290 hpt for wonders.

I did have 1 holy site (at the bottom right, a knight standing on the hex), but for the most part I tried spreading religion for World Church. And also, I probably had less faith than you because my start was only partial dessert, not dessert all around. And maybe also because I managed to open freedom about ideally when I had saved up just under enough faith for my next GP, so it all went for a quick faith GA.

And yea, next time I probably wont give it that much effort to get a gold medal :) One reason being that this particular gauntlet was very much to my liking (cultural occ games are my favorite) and the other that weather finally started being good here recently and I am going to spend more time golfing or doing other activities outdoor.

I wish I had the time to analyse what we did differently to come up with the perfect strategy. For example, I typically aim for 4 prophets, as that lets me spread religion enough and increases the amount of faith I can save up and generate during industrialism. After my last game, I thought maybe aiming for 5 from the start would have been even better, but then again you were faster with only 3.

Okay, question for the top entries:

When did you open Religious Tolerance? Did you do Tradition and then 5 of 6 in Piety? Did you do it earlier? Did you do it later?

found out that if you put a worker/GP in your city, you can save up your religion, by automatically setting to buy a missionary

When did you open Religious Tolerance? Did you do Tradition and then 5 of 6 in Piety? Did you do it earlier? Did you do it later?

Yea, Tradition, then Piety to Rel. Tolerance, then Patronage until Freedom was open.

If you want times, I have actually written the important things out, so here is a list:
GL T-39
NC T-50
Petra T-67
Tradition finished T-71 (in another try I managed even T-57, but that needed a lot of CS luck)
Civil Service T-74
Education T-91
Astronomy T-108
Religious Tolerance T-110
Acustics T-116
Archaelogy T-137
Freedom open T-139
Freedom finished T-162
Radio T-181

Yea, Tradition, then Piety to Rel. Tolerance, then Patronage until Freedom was open.

Same here, though I think I finished Piety before moving on to Patronage.

I don't remember when I finished what, but I do remember that for much of the game it felt like it was going much slower than my first try. I would have almost abandoned that game until I compared to my earlier game and saw that I was ahead.

found out that if you put a worker/GP in your city, you can save up your religion, by automatically setting to buy a missionary

So it prevents a GP spawning, allowing you to have significantly more faith to spend on artists/scientists/etc once you reach the industrial era?

If so, I reckon that one should get a ruling from the staff about whether it's acceptable.

Top Bottom