Game of Republic - MP Team Mode (RepGame Discussion Thread)

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
This is an idea I had that's similar to the Demogame, with one exception. A group of people play 1 civ against another group of people. Since the MP pool will probably be small, the first game may have to stick to a small world with a few civs. Influence will also be based on land-ownership.

The idea is a succession game - demogame hybrid. A few months ago, there were a couple of "shadow games", (which I'm not too familar with, but I think I have the idea of) - sort of like a paralell team game. This time, each team will have 1 civ to play.

Basic Rules: (I'm no Shaitan when it comes to rules, :p but here's the basic layout). Remember, we're starting with a small pool of players.

Each team consists of the advisors: Domestic, Foriegn Affairs, Millitary, Science, Trade, and Culture - and their deputies.

Unlike the demogame where citizens make the decisions, the decision making is up to the advisors.

The advisors are the designated players. Play will go in a round robin fashion (i.e., Domestic plays, then FA, Military and so on).

----

Team Play

Most likely, this would be PBEM. Each team that finishes passes it on to the next.

The team play will be in a list, which lists the order in which each team plays. (i.e., team 1 goes first, then team 4 might be able to play, then team 2, then 3).

The non-playing time would be spent deciding further moves/negotiations in that team's thread.

---

Team Thread

Each team will have a thread for gameplay issues, and negotiating with other team members.

Since we don't have leveled accesses for thread, we will have to trust that other team members aren't spying in other threads.

---

Citizens

Citizens can ally with one team, then elect people to be advisors at the end of each month.

Citizens can't make decisions, but can petition in the respected team thread (but do not spam!)

Citizens can also own land, which gives them more influence. Each citizen can get 1 tile at the start of the game, and work that tile. (more info later).

Anyone have any other ideas?

*Coughs*We're having something like that over at 'Poly, only with each team having it's own secure forum*Uncough*

Great idea! The only potential problem I see is security. ;) It would be just too easy to go and look at someone else's thread. Maybe TF can work something out with that? :p

I like the idea of a Republic game better than Democratic because Democracies don't scale well with size. If an advisor isn't doing the will of the people boot him.

I think the pool will be bigger than you think.

Originally posted by Trip
*Coughs*We're having something like that over at 'Poly, only with each team having it's own secure forum*Uncough*

Great idea! The only potential problem I see is security. ;) It would be just too easy to go and look at someone else's thread. Maybe TF can work something out with that? :p

SPY!!! :p

Well, I don't think TF is going to be adding any new subforums soon... The Civ3 section is already hog-wild with sub and sub-subforums...

Clan forums are not impossible. ;) vBbulletin 3.0 will come with a password protected forum feature and I probably can create some password protected forums for clans.

One problem though: Your clan will be in trouble if your clan has a traitor and he leaked the forum password to other people.

Well, I don't think TF is going to be adding any new subforums soon... The Civ3 section is already hog-wild with sub and sub-subforums...
We'll see. :)

Originally posted by Thunderfall
Clan forums are not impossible. ;) vBbulletin 3.0 will come with a password protected forum feature and I probably can create some password protected forums for clans.

One problem though: Your clan will be in trouble if your clan has a traitor and he leaked the forum password to other people.

True, then there would be just one thing to do if a traitor is caught. Similuate the real world. ;) (permban by IP as a deterant and a change of passwords in this case...)

But, this brings about a new flavor to the game: The Art of Espionage.

I can envision a possible scenario:

There's 7 clans (provinces) in the game, allied as 3 "civs".
I'll use civ names as provinces for ease of use, and provincal names from the 1st Demogame.
Babylon, Egypt and Rome are allied as "Istar"
Greece and France are allied as "Asphinxia"
India and China are allied as "Nouva Terra"

espionage

1. DL (double logon) - not allow in the first place (and risky). Someone could "infiltrate" another team. Say Nouva Terra was having problems with Istar. Someone (or a group of people) from say, the China province could logon, and eventually work their way into the government of say, Rome, and have Rome break away from Istar and join Nouva Terra. Or, the person could place propoganda, or be a double agent.

2. Password hacking - Probably the most common attempt at spying. Get the forum password, and no one will know (except maybe TF - if that person makes a couple of wrong guesses and a message is sent to TF...). Hopefully, individual accounts aren't hacked, which would be bad. In both cases, password changes would be in order.

3 - Defeat and revival - If your team is in a province that's destroyed (and you don't respawn - is that possible for the human player?), then there's bound to be those that split to the opposiing 'civ', and give key info.

Hmm.. I wonder if threads can be password protected... (though, that might put a load on the server...)

If there is like a "Co-op" option in the game, where 2 or more people control a team, then we can have like a confederation-based game as each province makes its own decisions. I'm sure that will come with future patches, and maube even in a revolution a province can break away and become its own country, like in some civ2 games, IIRC from reading about it. That can make the game really good.

On Topic:
I'll join this republic game as soon as i get PTW and a computer it can be played on.

Originally posted by Civanator
On Topic:
I'll join this republic game as soon as i get PTW and a computer it can be played on.

I would like to join also....but would it be si-move/turnless or classic?

Probably classic so there's no timezone issues. Also, many players can be in 1 team (but not multiple teams). Each team is its' own civ, or province. When multiple provinces join, it becomes a nation (city-states).

I think once this gets underway, it would be named: "Game of Republic - City States". I have a more Greecian-theme in mind.. (thus the city states). In fact, games can be played on real-world maps (we would choose a country, or region).

Originally posted by WildFire444
why? will you be communism ;)
Oh yeah, count me in also!

I wouldn't have much to go on, considering the only applied forms have been bloated bureaucracies :D.

Personally, I consider it an economic form...

No, I meant as to how the constitution et al would be set up...

I would be very interested in this.

Originally posted by WildFire444
okay, but what civ would we be?

You can pick any civ you want. Of course, with a randomized start location, you can't tell who you're going to start next to.

Originally posted by Toasty
Count me in!

Does each team get to design its own system of Gov't?

That's a good idea. Even though it's the "Game of Republic", some teams (civs) could go in as rouge nations (in a free-for-all style). That would be good for those elite players here. :)

Originally posted by Civanator
If there is like a "Co-op" option in the game, where 2 or more people control a team, then we can have like a confederation-based game as each province makes its own decisions. I'm sure that will come with future patches, and maube even in a revolution a province can break away and become its own country, like in some civ2 games, IIRC from reading about it. That can make the game really good.

On Topic:

That's part of the fun. :) You're your own independant civ, except that you can be a province of a larger "confederation" of civs. (one hug civ). So, if you grow rather large, you might feel like breaking away, and causing a civil war.

Top Bottom