Game speed manipulation

Feyd Rautha

Prince
Is there any way to manipulate Epic and Marathon to not be as brutal without affecting the progression of technology?

I have looked at the XML file, and it would appear that you cannot detach the tech and civic progression from the build costs as you could in Civ V. I do not know enough about coding and especially modding via the workshop to decipher a workaround outside of a full conversion JUST for the marathon timeframes for units and ages, but not for units and builds.

The only thing I can think of is to make the multiplier 100 instead of 300 and then alter every tech and civic to be three times the base cost. I like a long game that isn't just a snoozefest of hitting the next turn button, but I can't seem to figure this one out. Anybody have more XML knowledge that is able to split out the overly simplified timeframe modifier in Civ VI?

For the mods I only found those for slower/faster tech and civics (changes the cost by multiplayer) Check out "Slower Tech By Era"
Don't know about buildings/units/etc yet
In civ5 eveything was so simple in XMLs ;)

I'll check that out. If the tech has been slowed by that mod then manipulating the turn progression is in a separate xml file which would allow basically a cut paste from Marathon to Standard giving me the timeframes I wanted without the lack of stuff to do. I'll check it out, thanks!

I manually edited all my tech/civics costs, since a 2x or 10x slower wouldn't do the trick for me, since I designed to make some eras last longer. All the .xml that change costs are based on standard speed. Basically I play the game with longer eras (more than marathon) with standard buildings, unit costs. The problem is the calendar I didn't mess with it much, since it all depends on how fast you can tech and tech isn't a fixed value over the calendar, so I just applied marathon calendar into standard one.

I manually edited all my tech/civics costs, since a 2x or 10x slower wouldn't do the trick for me, since I designed to make some eras last longer. All the .xml that change costs are based on standard speed. Basically I play the game with longer eras (more than marathon) with standard buildings, unit costs. The problem is the calendar I didn't mess with it much, since it all depends on how fast you can tech and tech isn't a fixed value over the calendar, so I just applied marathon calendar into standard one.
Do I just search Planas in the workshop for the mod? That sounds like exactly what I want!

Planas so you say I will increase cost of tech and civics even by x5 but calendar will be still going dependent on your tech research?
I have increase tech and civics cost cause I was annoyed into getting a medieval era in BC. After increasing values I still get to medieval era too early.
Do I have to change a calendar and if so can you tell me what to change in which XML file?

I changed the values of Civics and Tech on the.xml files. I'm not a proper moder so can't help you in that department, I just mess with the game files to make the game play the way I want.
You can find the files in civ folder->Base->Assets->Gameplay->Data->Technologies.xml and Civic.xml change the cost="" to increase tech and civics. This can be done mid play through but things you already boosted will be different.

Sir Stancyz, the calendar is just impossible to handle, for instance you have 30 cities producing 1000 science in each turn, in another game you have 10 cities that only produce 400 science, the calendar will be messed up no mater what, because of the amount of science generated each turn and how long it costs to discover each tech, but if you still want to try and mess with the calendar go to the following file civ folder->Base->Assets->Gameplay->Data->GameSpeeds.xml.

Tips and problems I have encountered:
-AI will build tons of military units in the early game, enough to cover their entire territory and more, making almost impossible to move units around and making turns take a lot of time. I'm now changing basic military units costs to prevent this, since maintenance costs didn't work(I'm not sure how balanced it will be, nor if it works, but I usually don't go for domination victory, so I may have no future issues on the ancient and classical eras);
-Increase Great Persons costs in the following folder civ folder->Base->Assets->Gameplay->Data->Eras.xml find GreatPersonBaseCost="" and change it;
-Save your originals files somewhere else in case you need(not needed but recommended, if you didn't save your originals files and want to have the vanilla game back, just reinstall or repair the game);
-Make a backup of the files you edited, you will need them in updates;
-Updates are a problem, if they change the files you edited, you need to learn how to merge files so you don't have to edit them all over again (WinMerge, software recommended);
-Use the software notepad++ for editing the.xml files(not needed but highly recommended);
-Increase the costs of Projects in projects.xml;
-You need to full restart the game for the changes be applied into the game(yes you can change stuff while in the game but it will only be changed once you restart. Close the game and open again).
-Be patient you will restart a lot.

Hope i could be useful sorry for mistakes, English is not my main language. Fell free to ask any questions I'll try to respond to the best of my abilities.

Sir Stanczyk for further elaboration, the calendar works like this for x amount of turns z years pass by.

For example:
<Row>
<GameSpeedType>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</GameSpeedType>
<MonthIncrement>180</MonthIncrement>
<TurnsPerIncrement>100</TurnsPerIncrement>
</Row>
<Row>
<GameSpeedType>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</GameSpeedType>
<MonthIncrement>120</MonthIncrement>
<TurnsPerIncrement>300</TurnsPerIncrement>
</Row>
*This is taken from the GameSpeeds.xml

For 100 turns, each turn, will pass 180 months (15 years), when 100 turns has passed for the next 200(or 300 I'm not sure) turns, each turn, will pass 120 months (10 years) and so on.

That's why it's basically impossible to make a consistent calendar. I Tried to change mid game but it didn't work, I think the function that manage this data is used/locked when the game is generated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom