Game won't install

ashen

Chieftain
Hello! I've tried looking around, but have not come upon this. I bought CivIV about a month ago and have not been able to play it yet. Everytime I try to install CD1, the install menu appears with "Install, read me and exit" but when I choose Install the message appears right away is "error reading setup initialization file". Why? I have no trouble installing any other games and this is the first time this has ever happened. It installs on other pc's so I know it is not my copy.. I did a defrag, and followed the install instructions, but still the same. The only other solution I can think of is formatting my pc.. but that shouldn't be an issue, should it? any help would be appreciated, thank you

Another note: My CD rom drive is

ASUS DVD-E616A

version 5.1.2535.0

and I was wondering if updating the drivers would help, since my CD drive and DVD burner have been extra slow recently. I think something is hogging my resources, because instead of burning at 15x they can only read or write and max 4x. would this have an effect on installing?? all other games install just fine, so I'm puzzled. I haven't even gotten past the main install options screen yet.

If you suspect your CDROM drive might be the culprit, copy the contents of both CDs to a temporary folder on your hard drive. Start installation from there by running the setup.exe.

Or connect to another computer, enable sharing for their CD drive and install from there.

THANK YOU crunch. I copied all CD files to my drive, installed setup and now the game works perfect. I just have to learn how to play the darn thing now, eheh. Thanks again :)

Thankyou so much as well! I hadthe same problem trying to install it on my little Brothers PC, thanks old chap! Cheers!

Top Bottom