Gameplay questions

idjit

Chieftain
I played the same map twice (to try different things on a familiar map) as Greece/Deity and stumbled into a few beard-scratchers I'm hoping folks far smarter than I can help with. If you read these questions, please remember that I ain't the smartest marble in the drawer.

Playthrough 1 was 3 cities/tall settled south on great land (experimenting with gameplay)
Playthrough 2 was 8 cities/wide settled north on trash dirt (again, experimenting)

1) On playthrough 1 I deliberately held back on techs and civics so my districts wouldn't get expensive. On playthrough 2 I did not. It didn't take long, however, for my districts in playthrough 1 to cost upwards of 30 turns while my wide trashy empire districts would only take 8-12 turns. No industrial zones yet. I thought districts went up in gears as your techs and civics increased? Is this still true?

2) On both playthroughs I was able to ally one different civ each. They would never do a research agreement with me - they would always say "I would never do this under any circumstance." Has anyone actually been able to get research agreements? Also, one of my allies wanted to trade and in his offered goods was a thing called a "Research Agreement Composite." He just wanted gold from me. I have no idea what this means. It did boost something I was researching but he spent the whole game refusing research agreements. Any ideas?

3) I found Brazil in 1100 AD and saw that he was working on a spaceship factory (!). When I got spies to sabotage his factory he didn't even have any industrial zones. He had a small empire, maybe 4 or 5 cities that weren't very big (16ish pop in his cap). When I finished the game I looked at the graphs and saw that his science and culture graphs were obscene. Like orders of magnitude higher than mine the whole game. Deity cheating bonuses aside, does anyone have any idea how the AI could pump out both science and culture like that with such a small empire?

4) When building my last mars mission there was a giant, cartoonish, unmistakable red exclamation point on the tile of my spaceport. I have no idea what this meant and it didn't appear to impact my ability to launch in any way. Any ideas what this meant?

5) Really dumb question, but I'm still not sure: for example, if I have a university, does it generate GPP on its own when unstaffed or do I have to staff the university with a citizen in order to generate GPP?

Thanks!

Top Bottom