[BTS] Generate same map with different settings?

Fish Man

Emperor
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to generate another game on a map I already have (with the same land shape and same resource placements), but with different settings (goody huts and more civs as well as different leader). Is there a way to do this? I suspect it has something to do with getting the random seed of a map that was generated, but I don't know if I really have a way of doing that (I DO have a save from just before where if I hit "regenerate" I get the map that I want, so maybe there's a way to get the seed that way?).

Does anyone know how to solve this particularly tricky issue?

I believe you can change your civ/add more civs by saving the map as a worldbuilder file and adding them in, much like how NC maps adds stuff like starting techs. Goody Huts is more tricky, I would say turn the map before the one you want into a worldbuilder file, remove the "No Huts" option, start it as a scenario, and see if regenerating the map still generates the map you want, only with goody huts since the option to remove them was turned off. I personally doubt it keeps the same RNG seed, but I'm afraid I don't have another suggestion.

I believe you can change your civ/add more civs by saving the map as a worldbuilder file and adding them in, much like how NC maps adds stuff like starting techs. Goody Huts is more tricky, I would say turn the map before the one you want into a worldbuilder file, remove the "No Huts" option, start it as a scenario, and see if regenerating the map still generates the map you want, only with goody huts since the option to remove them was turned off. I personally doubt it keeps the same RNG seed, but I'm afraid I don't have another suggestion.

I know you can swap civs around by editing the WB file. As for placing huts...there's no way to do it automatically. The file specifies tile improvements on every tile including huts, so if it's not placed on the start you can't just generate them by playing the scenario with the option checked. What you have to do is pull up a (pseudo)random generator, generating random land coordinates until you get the right number, and then manually placing them down on every coordinate generated, either by editing the file or opening the WB save. By my experimentation, on a big and small map standard size, there are always exactly 27 goody huts, so fortunately the number wasn't in question, at least.

I did what I said here on the save, and am doing an Inca marathon fast space win noble playthrough, with reloading. Got mining, BW, wheel, pottery, metal casting, math, currency, music, and astronomy through huts. Reached steam power before 600BC; I have a good feeling about this :).

My initial reaction/response to this would be to create a World Builder save from the 4000Bc save and use Custom Scenario to change the options. I thought you could add huts that way too since you can select the option. As Fish said, you can edit a WB save in notepad to change the leaders/civs. It not that hard at all, but a little time consuming if you plan to do this over and over.

One thought though is to check with the modding forum. I'm not a modder but maybe you can make a map file (.py) from this map. I'm just not sure how to do that. In that case you can play the map with any options/leaders you wish.

Top Bottom