getting into the modern age

Junias

Chieftain
I have this problem alot, on a huge size map, if I have the standard number of turns and I got through the whole game and at best I'm in the late middle ages early industrial at "mandatory retirement" why does this happen? I dont have this problem on a tiny map.

Junias said:
I have this problem alot, on a huge size map, if I have the standard number of turns and I got through the whole game and at best I'm in the late middle ages early industrial at "mandatory retirement" why does this happen? I dont have this problem on a tiny map.
techs cost more on larger maps then on tiny, but there are more civs. It's obvius that you dont rade a lot because you should get to MA sooner. Also try playing on harder levels like monarch or empereor and trade with other civs. By doing this you will have tanks roling before 1500 AD.

I only noticed the problem when I first began playing and was at Chieftain level. I found that the more I used scientists, rather than entertainers, for happiness, the farther along I got by the end of the game. Libraries and universities also moved the tech pace along.

As I've moved up in playing level (attempting Monarch now), I find the above can't be my entire strategy, but it's still a large part of it. As Defiant said, trading with the other AIs is important.

Trading, yep. Although at the lower difficulty levels the AIs progress so slowly that the tech of the whole game is usually way behind. But at the higher difficulty levels, its often the case that by the time you get tanks in 1700 AD, everyone else has had them for awhile!

Top Bottom