1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting old batch files to work on Windows 10 for Civ 2

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Konig15, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

EDIT: I'm keeping the old conversation for reference, but if you find this you're looking for fixes for old Civilization 2 batch files. Well, here it is, courtesy of JPetroski.This works for errors saying that the files are incompatible with current version OR the batch loads but closes immediaely on opening.

You can fix these batch files by adding if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" goto winxp underneath the "echoes:"

echo Please choose from the options below:
    echo.
    echo 1. Load Winter files 1941
    echo 2. Load Summer files 1942
    echo.

and then adding this:

:winxp
    set /P choice=Type a number (1-3) and hit Enter:
    if %choice%==1 goto Winter41
    if %choice%==2 goto Summer42
    if %choice%==3 goto Winter42
    if %choice%==4 goto Summer43
    if %choice%==5 goto Winter43
    if %choice%==6 goto Summer44
    if %choice%==7 goto Winter44
    if %choice%==8 goto Summer45
    if %choice%==9 goto Winter45
    if %choice%==10 goto done
    goto winxp

below the error levels:

if errorlevel 10 goto done
    if errorlevel 9 goto Winter45
    if errorlevel 8 goto Summer45
    if errorlevel 7 goto Winter44

I TRIED to look this up elsewhere, nothing worked.

Now unlike most old batch files, Windows 10 executes them but closes the second it opens. Standard responses like putting CMD/ K at the end of the command line or opening the batch files from the Command Console didn't work. I read that would keep the batch file open, instead it immediately closed the command promt.

nd this is a little more tricky to set up than the usual setups so just doing it manually is gonna be tricky at best. And I searched this in Civ Fanatics and In Nomine only appears once in the entire site and it refers to the EU 3 DLC. searches on batch only produces suggestions that do not work on my computer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  2. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I believe I fixed a batch file for you a few months ago? Maybe I'm misremembering and it was for someone else. In any event, go download my latest Germanicus ToTPP scenario, right click on the batch file, edit in notepad, and then right click on In Nominee's and make it look similar.

Edit... I looked it up. It was for you. Scroll down and find your thread on Fortress Europe for instructions.

Konig15 likes this.
  3. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

Actually this is a new problem. The files RUN, they just close instantly before I can make a selection. Last time it wouldn't run at all because it was too old.

4. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Did you attempt the fix I provided?

5. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

Son of biscut, no. And it worked.

Actually, to save all you guys future headaches, you want me to more or less create a thread on fixing old batch files, copy your fix post, credit you of course and make it so other n00bs can find it easy with a search?

EDIT: After all, I'm SO technically ignorant I'm a model of total ignorance

JPetroski likes this.
  6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I mean if you can't find it in a search, it couldn't hurt, but you might just rename this thread now that it's here.

7. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

It's changed. I hope this ends up helping others and sparring others of headaches.

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

More time well spent...;)
    At least a solution was found.