Getting Strange graphics when loading saved games

Bidera

Chieftain
I've had Civilization 2: TOT installed on Win XP SP2 for a couple of months now.
It has been running fine, but suddenly a strange problem appears:

When I load a saved game, I get graphics in colors reminiscent of old 16 color graphics of late 80s. Kind of like what your color negatives for photo film look like. Also, on the terrain you see occasional text: ocean, forrest, plains, etc. every 10-20 tiles.

If I start a new game, I get the normal graphics. I tried retiring and loading a saved game still the graphics problem appears.
I restarted computer, etc. with no results. Other programs and WinXP look fine.

There hasn't been a change to my computer configuration, so not sure what has caused the change. Granted, last session I probably had some 50 saves and reloads...

Btw, the Civ 2: ToT version I have is that downloaded direct2drive.com one

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions. :)

It sounds like you're saving your games in the wrong directory, ie, the main Test of Time folder. If you are playing the Original game, make sure you save them to the Original folder. Midgard games go in the Midgard folder; Fantasy games in the Fantasy folder, etc. Just move your current saves to the correct folder/s, reload them from there and it should work out fine.

Wobbegong, many, many thanks!

That was exactly the solution I was looking for.

What is also interesting and maybe it is just a feature of Windows XP which I hadn't noticed before is this:

At first you are asked to save a game in a particular directory for example I had it save in main Civ: ToT folder which was wrong. Next time you want to save the game, it still wants to save the game in the wrong folder.

However, after a few times of forcing to save the game in the correct Original directory, game now automatically prompts to save in the correct directory. Of course, you can once again force it to start saving in a different directory, if you wish(but naturally you shouldn't).

So Civ sort of "learns" to save in the correct directory.

Top Bottom