GFC Error:Failed to initialize Primary Control theme

Berserker87

Chieftain
Hello this is associated with Dawn of Civilization Civ 4 BTS, I recently downloaded it and was able to maneuver my way with information as far as i could.
I have Civ 4 BTS Warlords Etc. all on Steam and in the steam folder. I am able to start up the mod from BTS and thats when the error screen shows up.
I am not sure what version of Civ 4 I have, would appreciate if you guys have suggestions to this issue and an update to civ 4 of any kind.
Thanks alot :)

One note, I did download the mod from the Dawn of Civilization link on this website.

Last edited:
I am not a Steam user myself but I have read many responses to similar queries. Since none of the Steam users have replied:

Steam BTS is configured in such a manner that it interferes with many mods. When they were made aware of this, they issued a fixed version that they labled a Beta BTS. It is actually the original BTS without their modifications. If you have not already done so, go to your Steam library and replace the default BTS with the Beta version. It will do everything the default one does but not interfere with mods.

Are you aware of the title of the beta version? I looked and theres BTS free demo version on steam.

Are you aware of the title of the beta version? I looked and theres BTS free demo version on steam.

Right click on BTS in Steam Library > Properties > BETAS tab > from drop down select "original_release...blah blah"

Steam will reinstall BTS.

Other notes:

1) You don't need to install Vanilla or Warlords as those are separate installations with the Steam version
2) I recommend running the game from the BTS executable (note that there are two bts folders under steam/common...the lower folder is the main BTS folder)
3) Right click on BTS executable > Properties> Compatibility: ---> check "run as administrator and set compatibility mode for Win7

You may need to reinstall DoC

I have seen this error often when it is a file path error. Such as where the mod isn't saved in the right place or is misnamed. Basically the game tries to load the mod, but can't locate the mod files as they aren't in the place it expects them to be. Have you tried posting here for help:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/rhyes-and-fall-dawn-of-civilization.452/

I feel pretty sure Leoreth would have encountered other people experiencing this error and may be able to advise.

Top Bottom