Ghandi bashing

SO with great interest, amusement and way too much time on my hands (at work...) I read these forums and often see a remark or punchline about Ghandi being weak and sucking big time.

I just finished a warlord level map (ok, it's "only" warlord, I agree) where I dominated the whole game in each and every way. My score was at least twice, if not three times the second's civ score (Japan); my tech was way ahead of any other civ and in the end I had all my opponents (Mansa, Cyrus, Hatsheput, Tokugawa; excuse the spellings) as my vassals, winning a domination victory somewhere around 1850 AD, giving me a "Augustus Cesar" rating in the leadership quality end screen.

So I am thinking "wow, Ghanid rules". His fast workers propell your city's forward and his traits really scream for an SE which I apparently played well enough.

Was it solely because warlord is such an "easy" level and any leader is fair game? Will Ghandi indeed suck in higher brackets (I am planning to go Noble with him after I win another Terra or Continents game)?

Let me know why you dislike (or like) Ghandi as a leader.

cheers
-wannabewarlord

It's the Gandhi AI who gets the bashing, not the leader by itself. Gandhi is very good as a researcher and can do very well. However, he, as an AI, never bother to build enough units to have a credible defense and gets usually whooped by any warmonger around unless he vassalizes himself to someone first. This is especially true in BTS where the warmongers AI are a lot more aggressive and efficient (Monty being the obvious exception in the efficiency department). So Gandhi ends most of the games someone's else vassal, willingly or not. When he ends the game, that is.

Yeah, the Ghandi AI is a total pushover. As far as traits + UU/UB go, he is a pretty powerful leader.

Not always. I decided to run a huge deity pangea game where I stuck myself on an island and watched the turns go by.

In the end, Gandhi had won a space race victory, vassalizing Montezuma, Darius I, and Ramesses II in the end. Boudica was a close second with Zara Yaqob (!) and Saladin as a vassal.

Not always. I decided to run a huge deity pangea game where I stuck myself on an island and watched the turns go by.

In the end, Gandhi had won a space race victory, vassalizing Montezuma, Darius I, and Ramesses II in the end. Boudica was a close second with Zara Yaqob (!) and Saladin as a vassal.

How did you manage to watch the turns go by?

I've often thought of doing something very similar myself, just to see how the computer does without the human playing, but I don't know how to give myself a view of the action without entering the world builder each turn.

Go into the .ini file, and where it says "cheat code=", type in chipotle. Then enter the game and hit Ctrl-Z.

In lower difficulty levels, such as warlord which I usually play on, I'll often team up with Ghandi, since he's so easy to get along with. He makes an easy opponent however, so if land is tight and he's nearby, I'll often end up capturing a few of his cities.

I am certainly not targeting you, or your playing style. On warlord every civilization should be fairly easy to play. I only play on Noble, so I am not much better.

It is usually the case that Gandi expands and expands and develops and techs. However, he has two units gaurding his cities. His traits and UU are alright. The UU can be replaced by a few extra workers, however a Prat is harder to replace! His UB is fair at best. I rarely build jails, so I am bias. However, he can be well played and have enjoyed playing him. I would recommend adding him as an opponent and play against him and see how he stacks up against Saladin, Cyrus, Togkugawa, Gangus, and Stalin). A good mix of aggressive and research. Should be fun!

in my expeirences Ghandi can be influential if left alone especially if your tryig for a diplomatic victory. what is peoples opinion on asoka

Top Bottom