global warming

jrs

Chieftain
I am playing a game, no nukes, no unhealthy cities... what can I do to prevent global warming from eating all my tiles?

Is the only option to destroy all other civilizations? I could see if I had a nuclear war, but I would rather have automated workers clean up like in the old civs than loose all my tiles....

every city has a recycling centre.... if anyone knows how to prevent global warming let me know please!

There is no ingame feature to turn off global warming. So without modding it will always occur.

How much global warming are you seeing? I've played countless games and I've never had very many tiles change, what settings are you useing for your games?

I play long games... I am weird.

I think the game is in year 2050 or there abouts and is on a huge map with as many competitors as the game will allow.

I have looked at the SDK and am going to turn of this "feature", so hopefully that will fix it.

There is still global warming in Civ IV!? I never experienced it, despite some space races. :eek: How exactly is the warming caused? By the number of unhealthiness caused by buildings or something like that?

Hi,

yes, there is still global warming in Civ 4. :) It looks like this:

In the screenshot, it has turned a grassland tile at Andahuaylas into a desert. (ouch!)

As I have recently learned myself, there is not much you can do to prevent it. It's caused my nuclear explosions, either from nukes or from nuclear power plant meltdowns. Health, production or other factors have no influence on global warming. So to prevent it, you should make sure no power plant melts down, and hope the AIs do the same.

-Kylearan

On the positive side you can get the sdk edit one file, by changing two variables from true to false and effectively disable global warming.... or modify it to you choosing..

nuclear winter i can see, but I can't see my neighbors all the sudden turned into a desert because some countries have coal plants..... anyways i looked around in there cities with spies and they weren't too bad...

Hi,

we're getting a bit off-topic here... ;) Anyway:

Pounder said:
Global warming and cooling occurs naturally, without human activity,
It occurs natutally, yes, but additionally it also occurs as a direct consequence of human activity. During the last few years, most scientific studies indicate that human activites dominate the natural cycle, i.e. global warming caused by humans occurs much faster with more drastic results than it would have because of natural reasons alone.

CIV's model that only nuclear explosions cause it might be good for game balance and fun, but has nothing to do with reality.

-Kylearan

Kylearan said:
Hi,

CIV's model that only nuclear explosions cause it might be good for game balance and fun, but has nothing to do with reality.

-Kylearan

I thought I've seen global warming in the game without the Manhattan Project being built.

Am I mistaken.

Is it true that nukes are the only source of global warming, if it is true it is kind of funny (wrong), because if enough nukes were used it would cause global cooling not warming (nuclear winter) because of all the dust that would be sent up into the atomosphere.

Nukes would have the same affect as volcanos, they would send ash/dust skyward that insulates the earth from the sun.

I must say that I've never seen any global warming effects in my games... Of course, I never build nuclear plants or coal plants or anything of the sort...

Hi,

Pounder said:
I thought I've seen global warming in the game without the Manhattan Project being built.
You can build nuclear power plants without the Manhattan Project as far as I know, and they can go boom which causes global warming, in the game at least. In the real world, it's more because of industry, cars etc.

-Kylearan

So we're sure that nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons are the only things that cause global warming in the game? It's not dependent on coal plants or other sources of pollution at all?

I am playing a game, no nukes, no unhealthy cities... what can I do to prevent global warming from eating all my tiles?

To get rid of Global Warming: under Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml find GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB and change
iDefineIntVal>20<iDefineIntVal to iDefineIntVal>0<iDefineIntVal

:)

Just switch it back with the world builder...

While you're there, add a couple of rivers...
And maybe switch that unit's promotions...
And add an island surrounded by oil...
Banana's are good... let's add some...

oops

Toys®Us said:
To get rid of Global Warming: under Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml find GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB and change
iDefineIntVal>20<iDefineIntVal to iDefineIntVal>0<iDefineIntVal

:)

Ahh, there ya go, I knew there had to be a way to turn it off out side of the sdk. Good looking out to ToysRUs. :goodjob:

I once had a game where I played until the year 2525. I built every building (except nuclear power plants) in every city and just kept clicking 'end turn'. I had achieved domination victory and taken over the whole world but kept playing to see what would happen after 2050.

There was no global warming at all. Not one tile changed. I had large cities, lots of coal plants, factories, forges, etc. and there was still no global warming. I just wish I hadn't built the UN -- having that screen pop up every few turns was annoying, since I just wanted to click my way through the centuries.

This is almost offtopic, but anyway.

This is just an odd thing to note but there is a group of people that consider global warming to be a good thing due to the benifits it provides for farming and various other misc...

...so i reckon global warming should not occur on the scale it does currently in game. rather than turning a tile to dust, just downgrade it a little e.g. grasslands turns into a plains

--- add

oooh and the water should somewhere whenever a ice cap melts

i tried it with the aiautoplay-function and "played" till 3125. in this year every landtile had become a desert except those where the cities were placed on.
since we all know that the ai doesn't build nuclear weapons and plant meltdowns have been decreased (i think in 2000 years one meltdown if i understand the tag right) in the latest patch i assume that coalplants and factories also have an effect on global warming.

just try it for yourself with the aiautoplay-function.

Top Bottom