Gods & Kings - HOF Support

Speaking of inclusiveness, I also think the G&K tables should include compatible maps from the Explorer's Map Pack DLC. Any argument in favor of Babylon, Polynesia, or Denmark should apply equally well to the Map Pack, as they are all included in the Game of the Year edition. At least three of the maps are popular and well-regarded in the community: Continents Plus, Pangaea Plus, and Sandstorm. It also includes the original Amazon script and Donut, which creates ring- and disc-shaped worlds (might be too static for HOF).
Personally I am against this, simply because I've never had a game where paying for nothing but maps is worthwhile. I'm fine with the civ's, and the ancient wonders as they can affect every game, whereas more maps wouldn't.

I suppose that's a problem for VVV players who never picked up the Explorer's Map Pack as part of a bundle. I had assumed that G&K VVV players are mainly completists who own all the DLC already.

I would agree that it's a valid concern for Gauntlet players, so perhaps Gauntlet should avoid maps you need to pay extra for, but I don't think it's too onerous for VVV players, who can get this pack for $2.50 or less in a bundle.

I'm completionist enough to have bought the civs. But I didn't get the maps. Not going to bother paying $6 for a few variants of maps I've already got.

Speaking of bundles, Firaxis released the Civilization V: Gold Edition last week, replacing the previous Game of the Year bundle. This new package includes the base game, Gods & Kings, and all of the current Civilization, Scenario, and Map Packs. I expect new players interested in G&K to buy this version of the game going forward – it's the version on store shelves now.

The previous Game of the Year bundle, released 18 months ago, included everything except Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World. I know a lot of G&K players upgraded from that bundle and have trouble with those two DLCs. This should be less of a problem in the future, as Steam now offers the Gold Edition upgrade for US$20, which is cheaper than buying the expansion separately.

At this point, there are two main reasons why you wouldn't own all the DLC: You bought GOTY+G&K before the Gold Edition, or you've been buying everything separately from the beginning and skipped some things. In both cases, you may need to purchase Civ Packs to complete the VVV League of Nations; the Wonders Scenario Pack is allowed but not required for anything. In the latter case, I don't think it's unreasonable to require the Explorer's Map Pack for the VVV Map Quest.

I realize that it's uncool to ask people to buy stuff they don't otherwise want just so they can finish VVV. It's also uncool to change the rules on people who have already finished VVV, like xger. I honestly feel bad about that, but I still back what I said earlier: I think think the HOF should support the entire official product, and the Explorer's Map Pack comes in the box. In fact, it was already in the box (GOTY) when the Hall of Fame started accepting G&K+DLC, and it's unfortunate that the HOF organizers didn't know about it sooner.

The really simple solution (may or may not be simple to program) is to allow the official DLC/GOTY maps, but have VVV require any 22 maps (everyone with G&K has the current 20 + amazon/europe), rather than all 23, 25, however many it ends up being. If a gauntlet happens to be on a map I don't have, no worries, I just won't play that one.

Hey, that's a great idea, sanabas! Wish I'd thought of that. It lets folks play on all of the official maps, effectively with a grandfather clause for people who have already finished Map Quest.

Another idea would be to allow the maps, but not require them to complete the map quest of the VVV. This would allow players to use all the official content, open up a few more tables to compete on, but not require disinterested players to purchase anything and not change the VVV rules.

Top Bottom