Going Wide - Possible Strategies and Loadouts

Do you speak from experience or it's just guesses ?

You do realize MadDjinn has been dropping several not-so-subtle hints that he is Beyond Earth play-tester the last couple of weeks, right? ;)

Part of the reason I am really interested in his opinion on this subject.

Kavitha is probably the best sponsor for going wide, followed by the PAU. That growth bonus would really help if you can manage your unhealthiness, because it would help mitigate the generally smaller city sizes of wide empires.

You do realize MadDjinn has been dropping several not-so-subtle hints that he is Beyond Earth play-tester the last couple of weeks, right? ;)

I can testify he has not dropped any hints what-so-ever. Frankly, I'm not sure how he does it.

Thats why I asked. Also there's no issue in questioning what he says, tester or not, or to provide a good argument for it.

Thats why I asked. Also there's no issue in questioning what he says, tester or not, or to provide a good argument for it.

I didn't say don't question but on this point I agree with him. 6:1 is not a good ratio and even if you are planning to make Knowledge your primary Virtue Tree and invest heavily from the beginning you aren't gonna be able to buy that particular virtue until about turn 100 or later (you have to buy four other virtues before you can grab Community Medicine). Even with a small empire of about four cities or so (and I am basing this on my experience with Civ V) this is when virtues start to get expensive and frankly, there are better virtues to plop four hundred or five hundred culture down for.

I didn't say don't question but on this point I agree with him. 6:1 is not a good ratio and even if you are planning to make Knowledge your primary Virtue Tree and invest heavily from the beginning you aren't gonna be able to buy that particular virtue until about turn 100 or later (you have to buy four other virtues before you can grab Community Medicine). Even with a small empire of about four cities or so (and I am basing this on my experience with Civ V) this is when virtues start to get expensive and frankly, there are better virtues to plop four hundred or five hundred culture down for.

However, I think Ackens main point Does stand...

If Knowledge Is one of your main trees and you Already got some Most of the health in Prosperity.. then Community Medicine is probably good for Late game

Comparing ... for 12 cities with 12-15 pop each and 10 buildings each and an Army of 24 (12 at home, 12 in field... although there doesn't appear to much of a reason for garrisons here)
Mind over matter=7
Prosperity 5=12
Resource health=12 max I think
Eudamonia=~48-57
Trade Routes=12
Community Medicine=24
Building health=24
Unit health=6

That of course depends drastically on pops/buildings and units per city

Early on the others would be good, but later in the game I think it comes down to Pop health, Building health, or Unit Health....OR some other bonus that you use to offset the cost of building biowells.

Admittedly it is Very limited by the cutpoint (if it was 0.16 happiness per pop it would be better)

I would guess that Pop Health would be the best... but that depends on what your overall goals are (rather than just 'go wide')

Im just saying it is a good source of happiness at some point if needed based on my civ5 experience. Now neither you and I have played the game but maddjinn said that you dont need it since it would be overkill.
If thats the case, of course you wont take it. But if happiness is tough to fight, then this virtue can easily provide a good boost in happiness mid-game. Hell, some (good like Ribannah) wide players in civ5 even take aristocracy sometimes if they have invested in tradition.

Im just saying it is a good source of happiness at some point if needed based on my civ5 experience. Now neither you and I have played the game but maddjinn said that you dont need it since it would be overkill.
If thats the case, of course you wont take it. But if happiness is tough to fight, then this virtue can easily provide a good boost in happiness mid-game. Hell, some (good like Ribannah) wide players in civ5 even take aristocracy sometimes if they have invested in tradition.

When I said 'overkill' I was referring to both prosperity and industrial based trees.

The knowledge tree makes for a nice secondary tree. It definitely can't be the primary/only tree due to the sheer lack of health in it.

Rule 37: There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "time to reload"

But yes, i imagine that with magnasanti, trade route health and prosperity taken there would be no need to get community medicine, since at that time, should any need remain you could easily compensate with biowells (even though upgraded farms (vertical farming +1food, +1 energy per farm) have a relative +3 energy gain per tile(farms can also give science, while biowells can be upgraded to give culture).

The main point here ist timing though: you'll need health most around turns 60-100 when you are pushing outward with new settlements, possibly prompting you to go negative health (loosing 20% science and 10% culture, if you invested in knowledge). At that time a flat modifier like the one in prosperity or the per city modifier of the trade routes or from artists/aristocrats. It has more potential to allow you to found additional cities and fill them with population as you build all the useful buildings.

But if you already took all the virtues down to it, including cohesive values than surely it's not bad to take community medicine. It won't give you more than 1-2 health at the time and scale only later on, but i guess that could be helpful. Remember that later on you'd have other sources of health too probably and your neighbor going prosperity probably has 2-3 cities more providing him with all sorts of stuff.

Top Bottom