Gold and Potato Resources!

Not sure of the historical accuracy

But it seem to mean that the great wealth sent back by the Spaniards was hundreds of years of accumulated surface mining.

To my knowledge the Spanish never did find the source of the great wealth, probably IMHO because the native tribe didn't practice mining the same way Europeans did.

Yes! That's absolutely correct and one of the things I'm looking to change. I want to make it much harder to start producing tier-2 goods. I don't like the fact that right now you can very quickly be up and running manufacturing goods and exporting them back to Europe. Europe should probably spend a good chunk of the game being the player's source for manufactured goods

Amen.
For fear of sounding like a broken record, I remember this being one of the things they got closer to right the first time around.

Any chance you could have the in-game images of them remain? It would be useful to know if a farm is producing sugar, tobacco, or cotton by looking at the plant displayed on the screen. I could tell just by looking at a colony without actually going in if it was producing one of those cash crops. It would be nice if the game would change the image if I decided to go from sugar to cotton to just plain old wheat.
Well, I'm lazy, so I decided that rather than figure out how to make an improvement graphic with a crop in it, I'm going to change the SDK so that these improvements will change the bonus on the tile to that plantation's crop type, so that way it will appear on the tile.

Not sure of the historical accuracy

But it seem to mean that the great wealth sent back by the Spaniards was hundreds of years of accumulated surface mining.

To my knowledge the Spanish never did find the source of the great wealth, probably IMHO because the native tribe didn't practice mining the same way Europeans did.
That's true. Much of it was from previously-acquired native gold that the Spanish melted down.

Well, Spain did import quite a bit of gold from their South American colonies. Enough to cause a marked decrease in the price of gold in Europe and exacerbate Western Europe's inflation issues during the so-called "Price Revolution". But certainly colonization of the Americas was fueled more by false reports and rumors of gold than any real abundance of it, and the gold and silver they did export to Europe came in large part from melting down Aztec and Incan treasure. I still think it should be on the map though.

As for the Potato, the Potato did indeed have an impact in Europe by the 17th and 18th centuries, but the Potato is a food. Food is represented in an abstract form in the game already. There's no individual Wheat or Corn (another New World crop) resources, so why should the Potato get special treatment?

Exactly. Now I don't have to post anything. ;)

For your mod, why not consider putting gold on the map as a resource, but instead of "mining" it and getting a resource, you can instead put a colonist on it and get straight cash every turn (added directly to your treasury). To compensate for the fact that silver was far more common, you could set the appearance of gold to be 1/3 or 1/4 of silver.

Exactly. Now I don't have to post anything. ;)

For your mod, why not consider putting gold on the map as a resource, but instead of "mining" it and getting a resource, you can instead put a colonist on it and get straight cash every turn (added directly to your treasury). To compensate for the fact that silver was far more common, you could set the appearance of gold to be 1/3 or 1/4 of silver.
Yeah, that makes sense. The only caveat is that I would consider making gold finite... so you could (and probably will) exhaust a gold mine of its gold.

Yeah, that makes sense. The only caveat is that I would consider making gold finite... so you could (and probably will) exhaust a gold mine of its gold.

[offtopic]

I am looking forward to that mod you are putting together...if this makes it in, I'll be happy. :)

Potatoes could also be added like corn or wheat--just a +2 food in the tile sort of deal. Just to add more variety.

Top Bottom